Teen rules on Jewel

Saranade4

We have a question for any experienced NCL cruisers. We are scheduled for our first NCL cruise (after several with RCCL) - Christmas on the Jewel. Our oldest son is 18; too old for the Teen Crew Club. However, would he still be able to go into the Club Underground area? The website doesn't make it clear whether or not this is part of the Teen Crew or just a separate teen hangout area. Also, what kind of amenities are included in the Underground area (assuming he is able to go in there)?

Thanks,

Saranade

While I don't know the specific area on the Jewel you are asking about, we have experience with cruising lots of holidays with "tweeners". Our daughters have sailed with us thru these years and we found that even though they weren't welcome at the teen club activities, there were often a lot of "kids" in their situation (and several who were of proper age for the teen club, but preferred otherwise). It seemed that all of them would gather in one area of the ship. For example, in the Spinnaker lounge on the Pearl, there was a DJ every night, and most of the older teens (and even some younger folks and parents too) would hang out there. It was jammed with people for most of the evening! They always had a great time. Since the Jewel is set up almost identically to the Pearl, I wouldn't be surprised if they set up the Spinnaker Lounge entertainment for them in the same manner. But, since the Jewel doesn't have the Bliss nightclub (adults only), they might be sharing it with the twenty-somethings. During the day, the kids who met the night before would all hang out together by the pool. On a holiday sailing, there will be a lot of young adults on board, and we have found that NCL takes this into account and there should be plenty for them to do. Hope this helps some!

Robin

While I don't know the specific area on the Jewel you are asking about, we have experience with cruising lots of holidays with "tweeners". Our daughters have sailed with us thru these years and we found that even though they weren't welcome at the teen club activities, there were often a lot of "kids" in their situation (and several who were of proper age for the teen club, but preferred otherwise). It seemed that all of them would gather in one area of the ship. For example, in the Spinnaker lounge on the Pearl, there was a DJ every night, and most of the older teens (and even some younger folks and parents too) would hang out there. It was jammed with people for most of the evening! They always had a great time. Since the Jewel is set up almost identically to the Pearl, I wouldn't be surprised if they set up the Spinnaker Lounge entertainment for them in the same manner. But, since the Jewel doesn't have the Bliss nightclub (adults only), they might be sharing it with the twenty-somethings. During the day, the kids who met the night before would all hang out together by the pool. On a holiday sailing, there will be a lot of young adults on board, and we have found that NCL takes this into account and there should be plenty for them to do. Hope this helps some!

Robin

Robin,

Do you know what kinds of activities they have for 16 yr olds? We are going on the Jewel for Thanksgiving and my daughter is use to RCCL Freedom of the Seas so, I am really nervous about her enjoying NCL.

Thanks!

We have a question for any experienced NCL cruisers. We are scheduled for our first NCL cruise (after several with RCCL) - Christmas on the Jewel. Our oldest son is 18; too old for the Teen Crew Club. However, would he still be able to go into the Club Underground area? The website doesn't make it clear whether or not this is part of the Teen Crew or just a separate teen hangout area. Also, what kind of amenities are included in the Underground area (assuming he is able to go in there)?

Thanks,

Saranade

Hi Saranade,

I believe we are on your same cruise. Are you sailing out of Miami on 12/20? Our son will be almost 13 at cruise time, and I was wondering if you have any children his age cruising with you. Let me know. Piper

I have only sailed once on RCCL and NCL each but it was my daughter's experience that on RCCL they had a teen activities director who led activities whereas on NCL they scheduled events that were not usually led by a teen activities director. My daughter still enjoyed NCL's program but I got the impression she preferred RCCL's program.

Hi Saranade,

I believe we are on your same cruise. Are you sailing out of Miami on 12/20? Our son will be almost 13 at cruise time, and I was wondering if you have any children his age cruising with you. Let me know. Piper

Hi, Piper.

Have you joined the rollcall for the Jewel's 12/20 sailing?

Our younger son will turn 16 on Christmas Day on the cruise. So, he's a bit older. (Our older son is 18.) We're not sure what our boys will be doing, since they're not really into dancing...But, they'll probably be resourceful, & find SOMEthing to do (that is safe & reasonable!).

Hope to meet you on the cruise!

Sara & Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Saranade

We have a probelm, our oldest will be 20 when we cruise. Legal drinking age home is 19. So he won't be impressed not being served at the bar. I guess I'll have to buy for him. Of course I may charge him a small service fee;) We took our oldest son on a cruise when he was 18. He didn't want to have anything to do with age clubs. He just chased girls!! That made his trip;)

I thought I was getting over my guilt of leaving my parents at home for xmas....but...I since invited my parents to come along but they declined! At the same time they said "Don't worry about us we'll get xmas dinner somewhere". Guilt back...OMG, I have to get past this!:(

Archived