Explorer to Bermuda 8/15/09 Very, Very Long Review

I tried that the day I got fed up with the offerings in the WJ. The MDR was closed. Then we figured we'd try JR. That was closed as well.

IMO RCCL needs to "upgrade" Windjammer. For breakfast and lunch I don't really like to sit down in the MDR, I like to grab some food and go sit by the pool. I really think they need to add the better sandwich/grill choices for lunch. And I think the desserts really have gotten boring. Seemed very cafeteria like this time. I know it's a buffet, but I think they could use a little creativity. Also, I totally love the pastries for breakfast, but after the same exact ones on 6 cruises I really think it would be nice to change it up a bit. For newbies I think the WJ is probably great, but for me as a multi-repeat, although there are tons of selections they seem rather repetitive. I can't imagine such a great cruise line can't start mixing it up a bit. And I say this stuff with all due respect of the company. I think they do a lot well, but some things they just don't do so well. I think the WJ needs some improvements.

I am going on the Explorer in November.

First time planning to try my time dining.

Is it a RCCL rule that you have to make reservations for a specific time on the day before?

They claim that "reservations are recommended". I have read that some people have just been able to show up and after a brief wait are seated. Unfortunately I had a different experience, and I'm not sure if I'm unique. On Explorer this past week the reservationist acted like prior reservations were required and was unacceptably rude IMO. The first night it was not an issue since no one had reservations, but after that if I wanted to eat between 6 and 7 I had to have made reservations the day before. Again, this is my personal experience and I'm not sure it the rule. Laura

I think that all the cruise lines have trouble satisfying the people who need to dine early.

I bet that about 2/3rds of the people wanting to visit the dining rooms want to eat early either because of a med condition, they have kiddos, or that's what they have been used to.

So unless you can figure out how that ships system works you can have problems on any ship unless you get assigned early seating. Getting reservations is always hit or miss. Walking up to the restuarent when you want to eat can be hit or miss too.

One of the stressful things about vacations, where eating is involved, is finding a restaurant, and then hope there is no waiting.

The thing I like about cruising is the non stressful walk into the MDR, sitting down, and being served.

Essentially, I've chosen my time dining when I've booked my cruise. And it's every night at 6.

Like the OP says, if I have to make a reservation the day before, the whole reason for MTD (to me) is lost.

It is always good to hear other peoples opinion on things.

I will be going on the Explorer of the Seas March 28, 2010 for my very first cruise. It is the 13 night southern Caribbean cruise.

I have also chosen MTD and hope if there is problems with it now, that they are fixed. My wife and I did not want to be tied down to a time for dinner. Being our first cruise, we want to do as much as possible when in port, and didn't want to have to be back early. The late dinner is a little late for me as I am diabetic and need to watch my sugar.

One question I have, I loved your pictures going under the bridge. Where did you take them from?

I totally understand the diabetic issue. Diabetes runs in my family and I know that there are restrictions to what and when you eat. My mom is elderly and has a number of health issues, she just doesn't stay up that late or eat that late so eating at 8:30 was unacceptable. I also hope that they develop a more flexible My Time Dining plan because I think the concept is awesome, but it is complicated on a cruise ship of 3000 people and needs to be executed carefully.

Glad you like the pictures, thanks! I was on Deck 12 front of the ship for the pictures. Deck 14 is too high IMO, I felt too clost to the mast. One down right in front of the mast worked for me. I got a new digital SLR for Christmas and I was doing some experimenting on this cruise. I think I'm getting the hang the thing (used to my little point and shoot) and I'm so happy with it now.

Enjoy your cruise. RCCL is not perfect but they do a lot of things right.:D

I think that all the cruise lines have trouble satisfying the people who need to dine early.

I bet that about 2/3rds of the people wanting to visit the dining rooms want to eat early either because of a med condition, they have kiddos, or that's what they have been used to.

So unless you can figure out how that ships system works you can have problems on any ship unless you get assigned early seating. Getting reservations is always hit or miss. Walking up to the restuarent when you want to eat can be hit or miss too.

I think if you have to eat early try for assigned seating. If not available, you need to do research on how to make sure that you can get your reservation and have a fall back plan like a specialty restaurent, room service or the buffet.

Regarding the rude treatment, that's not good. But if you put yourself in the Matri Ds place. Everyone coming up has a "valid" reason for needing the early reservation and for not already having made their reservation. At that point his job is to say no and apologize, that's all he can do. How he does it must be an art form.

I agree that My Time dining is complicated particularly if most people want to eat between 6 and 7. That being said, I think if the cruise line is going to offer My Time they need to consider this possibility and figure out how to manage it properly. They know they have so many people who signed up for My Time, they should consider the possibility that a good portion will want to eat between 6 and 7. When I forget to make a reservation at a restaurant and I just show up I don't mind waiting up to 1/2 hour. Also, I think they could have given me an option to sit with someone else. Also, I'm sure there are people that don't show up in the dining room for either regular or My Time with reservations (on one of cruises we requested a large table and 3 or us ate alone the entire cruise except one night). The Host could have suggested I come at 6 and if there were empty tables (which I saw every other night) he would seat me and my mom. I think the whole My Time just could be handled better.

Not to hijack this thread, but I had to comment on your status as a PhD student at age 50...I am turning 50 this week, and I am in the process of applying to grad school to get my PhD as well. How do you like being back on a college campus at our age? Do you feel sometimes feel like a dinosaur or do you find that you blend in? Perhaps it depends on the school? Good luck with pursuing your degree!

Nancy

thank you for the wonderful review. we are leaving out of Bayonne next Saturday and wondering if there is a bathroom at the port? we have a long drive to Bayonne and once there if there is a long wait - well you know what I mean. This information would be essential.

Not to hijack this thread, but I had to comment on your status as a PhD student at age 50...I am turning 50 this week, and I am in the process of applying to grad school to get my PhD as well. How do you like being back on a college campus at our age? Do you feel sometimes feel like a dinosaur or do you find that you blend in? Perhaps it depends on the school? Good luck with pursuing your degree!

Nancy

Hi Nancy, Good luck with your degree also. I won't kid you, it's hard. Luckily I finished all my course work so I'm just doing research for my thesis now. My research is in biophysical chemistry, DNA conformational analysis (cancer research), so it's a labor of love for me now. Being in school at 50 with aging parents and a kid of my own in college as well as working full time is very rough. I also need to figure out how I'm going to take a year off work to do my year residency. I do look very young, I'm very thin (100lbs). My DH always asks me why I dress like 15 year old, and I tell him "cause I can.":p So, I don't really feel out of place. Also, I'm going to the same college as I did as an undergrad with the same advisor and everything, so that helps. But yes, it's rough. Good luck again to you. If you ever feel like talking feel free to e-mail me: ltrogrady@optonline.net

Laura

transam...thanks for the review and your photos are fabulous! I'm off on the Explorer in October for a girls cruise with 3 of my best buds and we are all so excited! The pictures really give a great sense of the whole cruise! Thanks again. :)

And I do like them long :)

I appreciate your frank and objective approach. The Explorer was our first cruise, and I look forward to sailing her again in about a month. I chose to stick with the traditional dining, and your comments only serve to reinforce my choice. I enjoy that routine, and for me, it's an important part of the cruise experience, since it an old custom from way back.

Can you comment more on the Tea and Tales tour? Were the high tea offerings substantial enough to justify the cost of the ticket? How was the touring part of it? The place looked very charming. (I don't know if you come up north as far as Chester, NJ, but there is an adorable place called "Sally Lunn's Tea Room" and it's lovely!)

We've only gone as high as a Junior Suite, but the GS looked fabulous.

Thanks!!

Teddie from Union County, NJ

I love Sally Lunn's! So wonderful - and not only is the tea great but the food is really, really good too!:)

We were a group of 8, with a few handicapped. We checked our table after arrival and it was very tight. After speaking with the Head Waiter, they arranged to place a sheet of plywood over the table making it large enough and quite comfortable. Our service was outstanding, our waiter Wayne has 7 years experience with RCL and was fantastic. His asst. Silvio, had a great personality but let Wayne do most of the work as he does not plan on coming back. The food was excellent, and we enjoyed every meal. We did go to Portofino's 1 night and it was fabulous, but we had to be rolled out of there! We were in the last group to disembark and it was very easy. We had a shuttle to ourselves, scooters, wheeelchairs, etc., and it was so easy to fing our luggage and a porter. We parked two minvans and the porter brought the luggage to the handicapped spaces, helped us load and we were home in Morris County by 12:30. Piece of cake. Now if RCL or Celebrity had more options for itineraries out of Bayonne we would sail in a heartbeat!

Laura,

I really enjoyed your review. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Quick question: I'm trying to find out if the Dockyard Festival was extended; did you have it on Monday evening? An official Bermuda website only had it ongoing through August 10th I think.

Thanks so much.

Laura,

Quick question: I'm trying to find out if the Dockyard Festival was extended; did you have it on Monday evening? An official Bermuda website only had it ongoing through August 10th I think.

Thanks so much.

My daughter just came back from a cruise that included Bermuda and according to a 2009-2010 brochure she brought back it states the Destination Dockyard festival runs from May 4 to Sept. 14 on Monday nights from 8:00 to 10:30pm.

She cruised on Caribbean Princess and did MTD and said the waiters were rude and she wouldn't want to do it again. She thought it was because they had to pay the gratuities up front so they knew that they already had their tip. So it seems it can happen on any ship with MTD. We will be on on the Explorer for the first time the end of October. We've sailed the Disney ships and really enjoyed them so I'm looking forward to trying a new ship.

Thank you jackdis (you've been so so helpful!) and Holly.

I'm thrilled they are still going to have it. It's going to be so nice to stroll around after dinner.

Well, uh, that is if we don't have that tropical "event" dumping rain on us next Monday!!! :eek:

Laura,

Thanks so much.

We had the dockyard festival. Luckily the weather held and it took place. Not sure the timing if it will continue, but the 15-Aug cruise had it.

• 2 weeks later...

transam84,

We're taking this cruise on 9/12/09. Did they offer lobster in the main dining room any of the nights? Lobster is my fav & I don't want to miss it by dining in Portofinos the same night. What is the dress code at Portofino's? DH says it's formal for all the nigths in Portonfinos.

Also, we'll be driving up from Philly PA. How does parking in Bayonne work? I heard you drive up & unload your bags then go & park. Then they shuttle you back to the ship. Did parking, unloading, etc. work smoothly?

thanks!

As always it depends with the unloading and parking. Once you get to the unloading, it usually goes smoothly. After you unload, you continue on and make a left between the buildings to the parking entrance. It is a short walk back to the terminal. You go through security and check in and get a number for the buses. The terminal waiting area has coffee, tea, lemonade and cookies. When your number is called, you board the bus for the very short ride to the gangway. Just be prepared to wait and take some patience with you in case you arrive at the same time as everyone else.

Thanks for the review and great pictures.

We leave in just a few weeks and are really looking forward to relaxing and recharging. It's a shorter cruise but not having to fly is a real benefit.

We have always had late seating and will on this cruise too - we just prefer having the set dinner time. At some point we will probably have to go with a flexible dining program but have avoided it so far.

transam84,

We're taking this cruise on 9/12/09. Did they offer lobster in the main dining room any of the nights? Lobster is my fav & I don't want to miss it by dining in Portofinos the same night. What is the dress code at Portofino's? DH says it's formal for all the nigths in Portonfinos.

Also, we'll be driving up from Philly PA. How does parking in Bayonne work? I heard you drive up & unload your bags then go & park. Then they shuttle you back to the ship. Did parking, unloading, etc. work smoothly?

thanks!

Lobster night was the last night. It is actually a "fisherman's platter" which include a small lobster tail and shrimp.

Archived