Parade of ships Aug 29th

Q-step

Who doesn't love a parade?

On Aug 29th, Southampton will be a busy port. Cunard contacted us and told us to expect delays getting to the QM2 and to leave plenty of time.

The following ships are departing that afternoon:

RCCC Independence of the Seas

Cunard Queen Mary 2

P&O Oceana

Grand Princess

Someone on the roll call estimated 11,000 passengers getting on. When you combine all those getting off in the morning, it will be approx 20,000 travelers, more than 50,000 bags and thousand of crew members, cleaners, support staff and supply trucks clogging the docks.

In the words of director David Lean "Madness!"

Who doesn't love a parade?

On Aug 29th, Southampton will be a busy port. Cunard contacted us and told us to expect delays getting to the QM2 and to leave plenty of time.

The following ships are departing that afternoon:

RCCC Independence of the Seas

Cunard Queen Mary 2

P&O Oceana

Grand Princess

Someone on the roll call estimated 11,000 passengers getting on. When you combine all those getting off in the morning, it will be approx 20,000 travelers, more than 50,000 bags and thousand of crew members, cleaners, support staff and supply trucks clogging the docks.

In the words of director David Lean "Madness!"

Goodness, I hope everyone has made their hotel bookings already! Last year when we left from Southampton there was the QV, QM2, Ventura, and a European cruise ship I did not recognize all leaving together, plus the road around the port was all dug up so it was also quite busy! Still, perhaps the new cruise terminal will be a welcome addition to the "madness"! Good luck getting onboard, and have a wonderful holiday.

Actually according to the Southampton Docks website there will also be a Fred Olsen ship in that day too - making 5 ships in total, they have 4 leaving the next day.

We are reconsidering our travel plans down to Southampton...........we are very excited looking at the webcams - tomorrow QM2 leaves New York on its way to get us!!!

Actually according to the Southampton Docks website there will also be a Fred Olsen ship in that day too - making 5 ships in total, they have 4 leaving the next day.

We are reconsidering our travel plans down to Southampton...........we are very excited looking at the webcams - tomorrow QM2 leaves New York on its way to get us!!!

Yes, 9 ships in 2 days - in excess of 45000 passengers embarking & disembarking according to the paper.

We have the task of deciding which day we should go ship watch & whether to do it from Mayflower Park or the Isle of Wight:D

Or perhaps we should just do both days:D

Yes, 9 ships in 2 days - in excess of 45000 passengers embarking & disembarking according to the paper.

We have the task of deciding which day we should go ship watch & whether to do it from Mayflower Park or the Isle of Wight:D

Or perhaps we should just do both days:D

We are lucky enought to be on the QV next sunday, so a grand view of all the ships.

I would say go to hythe pier area and watch them

We are lucky enought to be on the QV next sunday, so a grand view of all the ships.

I would say go to hythe pier area and watch them

Doesn't the QV sail on Monday the 30th? and it's the QM2 on Sunday the 29th?

Yes, Hythe pier is a good vantage point.

Doesn't the QV sail on Monday the 30th? and it's the QM2 on Sunday the 29th?

Yes, Hythe pier is a good vantage point.

Not in my diary. We sail on QV on Sunday the 30th.

Hythe Pier is good and so is the large car park near it.

Calshot Spit is great too, you can almost reach out and touch the ships there and you can park right by the pub!:D

Now I have told, not to mention at Ikea, please.

You now I get lost in there, could be a new movie in the making, Lost in Ikea:eek:

:D :D You just need a guide Rob !!

I was getting confused with Rob's sailing date in his signature which says the 29th.

countdown.pl?name=&date=8-29-2009&image=Beach-10&text=EUROPE&ship=Queen Victoria

I never round to changing it, it was due to leave on the 29th when we booked it, then they changed it, lost 1 day, money back, cabin upgrade etc, but dont worry we wont leave on the 29th lol

Sounds interesting going down to watch these ships, But where is Hythe Pier and Calshot Spit????????

And what point is best for parking???? one of these two or back at Mayflower park.

Gary

Hi Gary,

It would be a great day out for you with so many ships in port. Also there is the very interesting Maritime Museum there as well.

Mayflower Park has easy parking and is a good viewing point for a close-up view of ship in the Mayflower terminal but best spots are Hythe Pier or Calshot Spit which are on the same side but much further down Southampton Water. There is a public car park near the end of Hythe Pier and also a large public car park at Hythe Marina which is also a good viewing point.

The public ferry runs across from Hythe Pier (very long old pier with little train that runs to the end of it) from which you would get wonderful views of all the ships as it plys up and down Southampton Water -look up Hythe Pier's website.

There is easy parking at Calshot Spit. This place is right at the end of Southampton Water where it becomes The Solent, you are right opposite the Isle of Wight now. It's fairly remote with easy parking and the pub of course! All these ships will be leaving around the five o'clock time and you'll get a brilliant view from here trust me.

Hope you have a great day ship watching.

Let me know if you take some good pictures. As one of the huddled masses onboard I'd be interested in them.

Someone posted a picture on the roll call of the QM2 leaving NYC today with Lady Liberty at her side. Even though it was overcast, it's a nice picture to add to one's album of their trip.

I emailed Smith's and moved-up my ride from London to Soton due the expected traffic jams. For what they charge to stay at Claridge's I was trying to milk every last minute out of my London experience. But if I miss the boat my wife will never speak to me again.

Hi this will be great as it will be my first trip on QM2 so with all the other ships there aswell it will make it more exciting. Still not knowing what to expect just hope all the shopping was worth it.:)

Ok, well Im willing to try again one day, I must leave home early, take food, drink , and a newspaper, and set off, if that fails, then, will you be my guide, we can do the bristol one/

rob

No problem! Maybe we should make the restaurant the venue for a Bristol meet :D

Hi Gary,

It would be a great day out for you with so many ships in port. Also there is the very interesting Maritime Museum there as well.

I think you might find the Museum is closed on Sundays! My friend and I stayed overnight on a trip to S'ton just to visit the Museum to find it shut - with not even a notice to warn you. Only when I phoned the Tourist Information did they admit there was on-going industrial action which means it is shut on Sundays!

I think you might find the Museum is closed on Sundays! My friend and I stayed overnight on a trip to S'ton just to visit the Museum to find it shut - with not even a notice to warn you. Only when I phoned the Tourist Information did they admit there was on-going industrial action which means it is shut on Sundays!

Yes Sunday it will be closed although I think Gary might have been planning to go down on Saturday as there are five ships in port then.

Speaking of meeting up for another CC meal and of Bristol in particular the place I did have in mind was The Mauretania on Park Road which had panelling and fixing from the last Cunard liner bearing that name.

This old pub restaurant would have been a truly marvellous venue but, unfortunately, I now find that it's been turned into a trendy new bar/disco/restaurant called Java - it still has the old panelling though!

Hi this will be great as it will be my first trip on QM2 so with all the other ships there aswell it will make it more exciting. Still not knowing what to expect just hope all the shopping was worth it.:)

Miz,

All your shopping will be well worth it! ;)

QM2 is a fabulous ship, just make sure you are on deck for sailaway where you will have a wonderful view of all the other ships sailing away too.

It will bring tears to your eyes! And give you lot's of goosebumps!

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Jackie :)

Yes but did a few martinis and some shopping help at all

Archived