HELP! I have lost my Uncle and Aunt!

foft

I ask because my husband and many of my friends would be considered senior citizens and would find your post patronizing and somewhat insulting to their abilities.

Oh boy, that is the last thing I meant. I am so sorry! :o My dad is a world traveler, but as his "little girl" I still worry about him. That's just how I am. He used to have a cell phone for work, and he would leave it in his briefcase in his trunk because he didn't like it--which, IMO, kind of defeats the purpose of having the phone. He is now retired from that position, and doesn't have the phone anymore, and reading this post made me remember that he doesn't have a phone (as you may recall, someone brought up the point that the aunt and uncle didn't have a phone). As I said, I think everyone, no matter what the age, should have a cell phone, at least to be able to make an emergency call. I know many senior citizens who are much more active than me, so it certainly was not meant as an indictment of anyone's abilities.

Oh boy, that is the last thing I meant. I am so sorry! :o My dad is a world traveler, but as his "little girl" I still worry about him. That's just how I am. He used to have a cell phone for work, and he would leave it in his briefcase in his trunk because he didn't like it--which, IMO, kind of defeats the purpose of having the phone. He is now retired from that position, and doesn't have the phone anymore, and reading this post made me remember that he doesn't have a phone (as you may recall, someone brought up the point that the aunt and uncle didn't have a phone). As I said, I think everyone, no matter what the age, should have a cell phone, at least to be able to make an emergency call. I know many senior citizens who are much more active than me, so it certainly was not meant as an indictment of anyone's abilities.

I didn't think you did, but your Dad and many others of our generation don't see the same need for them that some others might. DH didn't even have his own phone until last summer. Me, now that I no longer have to have it on and communicating at all times for business will actuall forget about it at times - what a luxury! :D

As far as the aunt and uncle - I think it is just the OP is not a regular poster and just doesn't know that a number of folks are thinking it is something terribly serious.

it certainly was not meant as an indictment of anyone's abilities.

And it WASN'T! Please, don't give it another thought. :rolleyes: It's all good! (Let's just hope we can say the same thing - it's all good - about the Aunt and Uncle, too!)

So, Dad is a senior citizen who is easily lost and confused in new surroundings?

I'm a middle aged woman who is easily lost and confused in new surroundings... ;) :D I don't think it's a condition only known to seniors.... my Dad has a much better sense of direction than I do....

Is it more dangerous then Detroit?

Is any city more dangerous than Detroit? I mean I have seen robo-cop and he got slapped around abit. If Robocop can barely handle Detroit, do any of us have a chance in that City? :)

LOL

I'm the navigator for the family. Unfortunately, when travelling with DS - she has no sense of direction and refuses to follow my instructions. :rolleyes: So that means when traveling together I have to drive and navigate. At least DH will eventually listen to my directions.

... your Dad and many others of our generation don't see the same need for them that some others might. DH didn't even have his own phone until last summer. Me, now that I no longer have to have it on and communicating at all times for business will actuall forget about it at times - what a luxury! :D

I'm not a senior citizen and have no need to be tethered to a cell phone and extra monthly bill. "Just in case" is not a compelling enuf argument for me. And I really don't want to be "always reachable."

Plus, in this case, the family will have been on a plane that landed at an airport, which has phones. Could be they went about their business trying to fix whatever problem occurred and didn't think anyone back home was monitoring their progress.

I hope all is well and this was worry about nothing but a surprise upgrade at checkin.

I'm not a senior citizen and have no need to be tethered to a cell phone and extra monthly bill. "Just in case" is not a compelling enuf argument for me. And I really don't want to be "always reachable."

Plus, in this case, the family will have been on a plane that landed at an airport, which has phones. Could be they went about their business trying to fix whatever problem occurred and didn't think anyone back home was monitoring their progress.

I hope all is well and this was worry about nothing but a surprise upgrade at checkin.

I agree - I have to have a phone for my business, but not to the extent I did with my former company - YEA!!! But DH works out of town and it is the cheapest and easiest way to communicate other than email.

Posted Earlier.

Call the ship, get to the Purser's Desk. Confirm name and cabin number and if they are shown onboard.

if not, then begin contact with local authorities in South Florida.

WOW! Amazing how this thread spun out of control in a short time! Focus people, focus.

Posted Earlier.

Call the ship, get to the Purser's Desk. Confirm name and cabin number and if they are shown onboard.

WOW! Amazing how this thread spun out of control in a short time! Focus people, focus.

Darn, you're taking all the fun out of it. :D

I am finding it very interesting about some folks need to be in contact at all times and others of my generation finding that being tied to the cell phone and always in touch a real chore. Plus the arugment between NYC and downtown Miami and throw in some Detroit references (GO TIGERS!) has made a very interesting topic.

Hold on and I'll get you a score card. ;)

Well i wasn't going to post but here i go. What i hate about threads like these is the waiting we all have to do. Someone says something that has us at the edge of our seats and then nothing for the next few days. In the meantime other CC member start arguing out different things. To me threads like these are just one big mess. I hope everything gets worked out for the good.

Couldn't agree with you more, Chris

Posted Earlier.

Very well said!

Is any city more dangerous than Detroit? I mean I have seen robo-cop and he got slapped around abit. If Robocop can barely handle Detroit, do any of us have a chance in that City? :)

Robocop? Wow, you just went old skool...I feel like I just stepped into the K-FAT waaay back time machine! Major props on that one! :)

I really don't think this is a hoax at all. Do you really think the OP joined in 2006 with the plan of posting small, innocuous things, like the post in which the ask about car seats, while just biding their time until August, 2009 when they can finally post their clever hoax, reeling us all in?

Seems more outrageous to me than the original predicament. :)

I don't know and I hope you are right, sincerely.

What is bothering a lot of us is that we have that funny feeling....that we've seen it all before...

As with everything, time will tell.

And yet, I still go there. In fact, DH and I are going to the Detroit Zoo this week - it is just outside the city limits, but close enough to still count.

No one is suggesting you shouldn't go to a city that is deemed (relating to crime data) 'dangerous'. What I, and I think others, are saying is that you have to be careful in cities, and I believe that doing research on the place you are going to visit is beneficial and that includes crime statistics. The thing I think is wrong is to flat out post that 'Miami is just fine - it's safe here' in response to someone mentioning that Miami is a dangerous place to get lost in. I mean, I get having pride in where you are from and everything, but you have to be honest about the risks.

In response to your other post, different sources site different criteria to label a city as dangerous. I tried to find ones that took the same thing into relevance, like crime data. I'm sure you'll see a variation of cities in different lists but you'll surely see a common theme of the same places.

Back on topic I really hope that we find out what did happen even if it was nothing. I hate unfinished posts, too...:(

Didn't I read something recently about Philadelphia being one of the most unsafe cities in the country?

I laugh at all of you who talk about the unsafest cities. I was born and raised in NY and have been to LA, Miami, Detroit, Chi-town, etc. They all don't compare to Anchorage*.

All you folks worried about another human being mugging you. I laugh at you! How about you come here and deal with the bears criss crossing the city or the wolf packs on the eastern city limits?

Humans. Please...!!! :p

*This message was intended to be comedic relief with side effects of making people laugh. Even with wild animals at every turn, you can keep yourself safe by exercising good judgement. This post didn't suggest that tourists shouldn't visit Anchorage or Alaska in general because of the carnage that would ensue. Please don't sue me!

Archived