High end suite vs. high end cruise line?

DougK

For those of you who have ever been in one of Celebrity's high end suites (Royal or Penthouse), I'd be curious to hear your perspectives about that choice vs. choosing a lower end suite on a higher end line (e.g., Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Regent). It seems like for roughly the same price one can either go top of the line on Celebrity or middle/low end on those lines. What draws you to choose Celebrity? Is the additional space of the suite more important than the higher quality of food and service? Or do you believe the high end lines aren't actually higher quality?

Doug

PS I haven't had the opportunity to do either. Azamara is as high end as I've gotten. If somehow I do end up with the opportunity, I'd like some advice as to which way to go. But that doesn't seem real likely, so mainly I'm just curious.

For those of you who have ever been in one of Celebrity's high end suites (Royal or Penthouse), I'd be curious to hear your perspectives about that choice vs. choosing a lower end suite on a higher end line (e.g., Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Regent). It seems like for roughly the same price one can either go top of the line on Celebrity or middle/low end on those lines. What draws you to choose Celebrity? Is the additional space of the suite more important than the higher quality of food and service? Or do you believe the high end lines aren't actually higher quality?

Doug

PS I haven't had the opportunity to do either. Azamara is as high end as I've gotten. If somehow I do end up with the opportunity, I'd like some advice as to which way to go. But that doesn't seem real likely, so mainly I'm just curious.

Regent was definitely the best cruiseline we've ever been on. Just couldn't cruise real often if we chose that. We are happy with X but there is a difference.

Doug

If you are just cruising as a couple, I would go with a lower end suite on a luxury cruise line such as Regent where all of their cabins are suites.

If you are cruising with children, I would go for the space and privacy of a higher end suite on a mass market cruise line such as Celebrity.

I guess first I have to qualify it with this:

I have yet to cruise on one of the "luxury" lines...

I have cruised Oceania a couple of times...in a Concierge Class A1 balcony cabin a few weeks ago...

I have cruised in Suites on Celebrity before...but, typically will cruise Celebrity in an "ordinary" balcony cabin...

I guess the reason I haven't cruised with the luxury lines is that I am completely content with what I get on Celebrity or Oceania...and I can afford multiple cruises on these lines for what a single cruise might cost on a luxury line...

But, I think a lot of this really depednds on what is important to YOU...We are all different...

To ME, the category of cabin is really secondary...I do not spend much time in my cabin, so, the extra room and amenities I get in a suite on ANY line is unimportant...

But, OTOH, to me, the extra amenities and luxuries on the luxury lines are not that important to me either...And there are pluses and minuses to the luxury lines versus lines like Celebrity, for example...Pluses to the smaller ships, but also minuses as well--depending on what you want out of a cruise...So, I'm very unlikely to cruise with the luxury lines, no matter the cabin category...

But, let's say money were no object to me...and didn't make a difference in how often I'd cruise...I would guess that I would be more likely to spring for the nicer suite on Celebrity...But, that's just me...I like the activity on options on the bigger ships...I'll gladly pay for any wine I might want to drink and I am happy with Celebrity's service--especially with the butler in the suites...I'm not the fussiest eater and the food is good enough for my tastes...and I like all of the late night entertainment options I don't even find on Oceania or Azamara due to the small ship set-up and operation...

Of course, some folks' priorities are way different...

We have just returned from Celebrity Summit and was fortunate to have had one of the Penthouse Suites.

Compared to other similar cruiselines, the PH suites are much larger, especially the balcony which was huge. We have also had the Grand Suite on Star Princess, the Library Suite on Aurora, AA grade suite on Ventura and the Orissa Suite on Oceana. The PH suite was definiately our favourite due to the balcony. The balconies on Aurora were its worst features (you get one on the upstairs level and one on the downstairs level but both are very, very small and covered so they get little sun).

We have looked at cruiselines such as Silversea but whilst we are travelling with our daughter, prefer to stick with the larger ships/suites as space is important to us.

Before booking the PH we compared the price with a much smaller suite on Silversea. Of course on Silversea everything is included (even alcohol!) but the price was much higher than the PH and it seemed we would get a lot less for our money.

Also, compared to other cruiselines, Celebrity looked after us much better and we had a lot more 'perks'.

All in all, given the choice I would have the PH suite again just for the balcony! The outside space is so important to us that I think we would probably be disappointed with suites on the higher-end cruiselines due to enclosed balconies and not a lot of sun.

Doug

Doug, we have done both. As background we cruised Celebrity often in the 1990's starting in cabins and then eventually mainly crusing in the Royal Suites. And a few years ago we did have the Penthouse on the Summit. It was beautiful and we really enjoyed it.

At the same time since 2002 we have cruised mainly on Luxury cruise lines.

In the end it depends on where you spend your time. If you spend a good deal of time outside your room as many people do then you should be comparing the entire experience and there will be a difference between the two types of lines.

If you are going to spend most of your time in the suite, including having many meals there, then the difference won't be as great.

I have always thought that the Celebrity suites are excellent along with their butlers.

Keith

Archived