RCCL 7-Night Cruise/Formal Nights?

debbie311

I am sure this question has probably been asked many times before, but my husband and I are sailing out of New Orleans to the Western Caribbean on April 9, a 7-night cruise. How many formal nights? And will there also be a night that is a little less formal, but not casual, where I could wear a cocktail-type dress as well?:confused:

There are two formal nights on 7-night RCI cruises, and typically at least one smart casual night, though most of the threads I have read have indicated that very few people treat the smart casual nights any different from plain casual nights.

RCCI only has formal and casual nights, with nothing in between like an informal night. You would have to go with a cruise line like Celebrity who has formal/informal/casual nights.

From my experience on RCCI, the casual nights are when people wear their khaki slacks, collared shirts, sundresses and capri pants. If you won't feel a little out of it wearing a cocktail dress on a casual night, then go for it.

I was on RCCI (Navigator) in June, and there were 2 formal / 1 smart casual / 4 casual.

The truth is, though, even though people were VERY dressed up on formal nights, most poeple didn't treat the smart casual night any different than the casual nights. I honestly think most people just didn't know. It was buried in the daily compass.

My husband and I had dressed really nice that night, and we were definitely more dressed up than most!!

BUT...one thing you should know...They took formal photos on this "smart casual" night as well, so we were really glad we dressed up a little. They came out great and are actually some of our favorite pictures ever.

So, it's really up to you!! Certainly no strict requirements, that's for sure :)

melissa :)

RCCI only has formal and casual nights, with nothing in between like an informal night. You would have to go with a cruise line like Celebrity who has formal/informal/casual nights.
I don't know where you got that idea? I had smart casual nights on my RCCL vacation, and their brochure tells you what's appropriate to wear on smart casual night. Unless they recently did away with them, I'm pretty sure they have an in-between night, which your cocktail dress would be lovely for. Some people wear cocktail dresses for formal nights as well... in fact some people don't even dress up that much. Oh, and don't think earlier posts mean that absolutely no one treats smart casual nights differently. I for one, always make an effort to dress nicely on those nights! :) Here's what their site says about the dress policy (hope it helps):

"There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

-Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

-Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

-Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include two formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children."

Archived