Ramadan and travel

capncarp

We've just entered the month of Ramadan, 28 or 29 days of fasting and contemplation for Islam. This involves no eating or drinking during daylight hours for Muslims. Has anyone traveled to any countries where this has been a problem for non-Muslims?

It wasn't a problem for us in Alexandria or Istanbul. Our guides didn't eat lunch but we did. I guess there were fewer restaurants open for lunch but it wasn't a problem at all. We could still enter the mosques - just not at prayer time and that's the rule any day.

It used to be that hours for some places -- like the Cairo museum -- might be shortened a bit during Ramadan (generally closing earlier than norm). I'm not sure if that is still the case though, given how very much Egypt depends on tourism.

It used to be that hours for some places -- like the Cairo museum -- might be shortened a bit during Ramadan (generally closing earlier than norm). I'm not sure if that is still the case though, given how very much Egypt depends on tourism.

In general we had no problems on our land tours of Egypt or Morocco during Ramadan. We did have one night when our guide was suffering from heat prostration due to not being able to drink anything all day in the hot sun. Also, there was one day in Casablanca where we had lunch at one of the very few restaurants open -- McDonald's! And one day for lunch we went to a supermarket and bought bread and cheese (pizza was also available!) and sat and ate it. Our guide told us that was OK, that the Muslim shoppers understood that not all people fast. I am sure if you are on an organized excursion they will have considered this.

The Egyptian Museum did close early ... about 3 o'clock AIRC. People want to get home early so they can have "breakfast" at sunset. Again I am sure your guides will consider this and adjust the schedule accordingly.

Have a GREAT cruise!

One thing I encountered in Dubai was that on a cruise on the 'Creek,, there was no belly dancing or serving of alcoholic drinnks. Made no difference to me. In addition, when shopping, store keepers apologized they could not offer me any tea or biscuits while perusing their goods. That too was ok; never offered tea at Bloomingdales.

I noticed that the traffic around dinnertime was very noisey with horns blaring. I had not noticed that during the day. My guide said it was because the drivers were hungry with low blood sugars and were anxious to get home.

I found that sitting in the car outside the mosque while my guide went into pray, was the most wonderful experience as I watched Muslims going into the mosque. Very special time.

We found Dubai to be quite strict. Our guide in Dubai advised us not to eat or drink in public in daylight hours. We were advised that it was fine to drink water when inside our private van but not when out visiting sights. Even the workmen on the numerous building sites are not allowed to drink water in public during Ramadan whether they are Muslim or not (very difficult for them I felt in the Dubai heat).

Istanbul at Ramadan is quite magical in the evening when the fast is broken around the Blue Mosque area - lots of fairy lights, food stalls, music and families celebrating the breaking of the fast. We found Istanbul and Egypt much more relaxed about eating and drinking in public than Dubai in Ramadan.

One of the most interesting things about Ramadan in Egypt was that all around the Khan el Khalili Bazaar we saw extremely large decorated tents set up. Our guide told us that the rich men of the city divide up the days of

Ramadan between themselves, and each group is responsible for feeding the poor on one day. At sunset the tents become huge dining halls serving food to everyone who is needy. I think this is a wonderful demonstration of one of the Five Pillars of Islam, charity to the poor.

Archived