Tray Question Again

DieHard

Makes sense. Trays might be advisable in old-style cafeteria lines where everyone enters at one end and leaves at the other, but they're likely to get in the way (and get knocked) in modern buffets with multiple stations where people are maneuvering in and out to get what they want. They're also unnecessary with multi-station buffets, because people don't have to load up a tray with an entire meal: They can return to the buffet when they're ready for the next course, if they decide they need another roll, etc.
On our only RCCL cruise the Windjammer multi-station buffet was chaos. People were milling around in random directions, bumping into each other and getting food on each other's clothes. Once we found a table and discovered we'd forgotten (or had skipped trying to carry) some item it was a pain to go back into the mob again to get it. We tried twice, and ate no more meals there for the rest of the cruise. It was one of several reasons that we will not be going back to RCCL unless they offer some SUPER bargain sometime.

On our only RCCL cruise the Windjammer multi-station buffet was chaos. People were milling around in random directions, bumping into each other and getting food on each other's clothes.

"FOOD FIGHT!"

food_fight.jpg

:eek: You make it sound like it was a voluntary choice on my part. :rolleyes: I assure you it was not though I was peeved at the server who knew that plate was too hot as he said so but handed it to me anyway. What did he expect I was to do with it?

Judy, if that had been me about to receive a hot plate from the server, I would have immediately called for a Manager in the Lido and asked him/her to receive the hot plate from the server on my behalf and carry it to a far distant table while I followed him/her closely!

The plates are way bigger on Princess and it's pretty easy to get everything you want on them. Not so on HAL. I like the Princess buffet and the food tastes so much better to me. The Lido is a place to avoid IMO on HAL. I'd eat every day in the dining room if it was open.

A poster on CC, who had cruised with Princess, has indicated that the plates on Princess are "huge oval platters"!

[/u][/size]

Judy, if that had been me about to receive a hot plate from the server, I would have immediately called for a Manager in the Lido and asked him/her to receive the hot plate from the server on my behalf and carry it to a far distant table while I followed him/her closely!

Oh my....... Yes, I guess that would get the point across. :eek:

When we last sailed on Princess (years ago), they were using the platter plates then in their buffet. They are very much like the large oval plates used at some of the Terrace Grills. They are easier to handle than the usual HAL round plates. There is room to be able to set a mug of coffee/iced tea on the edge of the plate along with your breakfast or sandwich at lunch.

Don't mean to repeat but what do people who are handicapped do without a tray. My husband only has the use of one arm and certainly couldn't manage without a tray. Does it pay to contact Holland America. We going on the Noordam in April 2010 so we have plenty of time. Thanks.

Perhaps because trays have been available on HAL until recently, and the old saying, "you can't teach a dog new tricks," applies! Perhaps they've never been available on Oceania and Azamara.

I have some very small trays here that guests take out to the garden patio for breakfast. I may bring a couple of those on our next cruise.

Trays have been available since my first cruise. My husband has problems getting around and I usually get a tray & put his plate and mine on it. This makes it really easy but since they've done away with them, I guess I'll make two trips. I also liked going to the Lido and bringing drinks & snacks back to the room. I guess now I can do one or the other but not both. I really don't understand the idea behind doing away with them.

-refer to Usha's correspondence w/ the Office of the President.

After the last rash of tray threads, I emailed HAL asking about their reasons for removing the trays. They sent me a snail mail response; this is what they said:

"Dear Mrs. -------,

Thank you for the email regarding your ms Westerdam sailing on February 1, 2009. Comments and questions are of great importance to us, as guest feedback helps us to improve the onboard experience for all of our travelers. As such, we welcome this opportunity to address your inquiry.

The removal of trays you experienced in February was experimental and after more review has become a permanent fleet-wide approach. After thorough study, we have determined that there are many guest service advantages associated with the removal of trays. A primary advantage is a reduction in lines in the Lido Restaurant, which provides better flow and crowd management controls, and therefore faster seating opportunities for our guests. This new policy also has a positive environmental impact, as it reduces the amount of water and detergent that we use to was hundreds of trays on a daily basis. And of course, guests who require assistance in carrying their plates to their table will always find our staff readily available to help.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your comments. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again in the near future.

Best regards,

Brad Willey

Special Advisor

Office of the President"

I also liked going to the Lido and bringing drinks & snacks back to the room. I guess now I can do one or the other but not both.
We're bringing a tray specifically to bring back breakfast to the room, but probably won't bother going back to the room to get it for use at lunch.

Pre-emptive reply: NO, I DON'T want to "just order room service". I like to go to the Lido and make my selections from what I see when I get there, fix my coffee the way I like, etc, etc. I know the "order" will be exactly right every time, and I will get it as quickly as possible. :p:p

And of course, guests who require assistance in carrying their plates to their table will always find our staff readily available to help.

WITHOUT QUESTION, crew is available and willing to assist. They did me no good when, as am able bodied person, I was getting my breakfast handed to me and the plate was too hot to handle.

I had no reason to think I would need assistance so (considerately) did not bother a steward. I seriously doubt the steward could have handled that very hot plate any more comfortably than I could handle it.

No matter how big the quote or how bold or how many times it is repeated, it all comes down to practical application. The plates are sometimes too darn hot to handle. We can't all drag a steward along with us just in case of a hot plate. Why should he have to deal with it any more than we should?

Maybe they need to have more plates stacked and cooling so they don't have them steaming how from the dishwasher. A shortage of plates maybe?

We're bringing a tray specifically to bring back breakfast to the room, but probably won't bother going back to the room to get it for use at lunch.

Pre-emptive reply: NO, I DON'T want to "just order room service". I like to go to the Lido and make my selections from what I see when I get there, fix my coffee the way I like, etc, etc. I know the "order" will be exactly right every time, and I will get it as quickly as possible. :p:p

I'm with you, John. I'm just going to throw a couple small trays in our luggage and be done with it.

I'm still trying to figure out why a thread on trays provokes so much interest... this latest one is now on Page 3.

It seems pretty simple: If you want a tray, pack one in your luggage...it's the same as bringing an over-the-door shoe holder, a netbook, and the myriad of other things that enhance our vacation enjoyment. Like I said yesterday, I have trays at our inn for guests to use for breakfast to their room or to our garden patio that are feather-light and only measure approx. 12" x 15". They would work perfectly. You don't need a supersized tray!

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Don't mean to repeat but what do people who are handicapped do without a tray. My husband only has the use of one arm and certainly couldn't manage without a tray.

Without trying to cause offense, I'm having a hard time understanding how your husband can manage a tray with only one hand / arm. Why not request assistance from a dining steward? I am able bodied and have accepted help when I needed it--frankly, the trays were difficult to carry with two hands.

I can only imagine that removal of the trays has to be complete; otherwise, passengers will see others with trays (for medical reasons, etc.) and ask for a tray, too. Eliminating all trays means an end to that possibility.

Our last two 12 day cruises were on the Oceania and Azamara and in the buffet, neither of them had trays and I never heard anyone mention it or complain about the lack of trays. I find this very interesting.:confused:

Were the plates laid out like they are on RCL, at the end of each food station (Azamara is an RCL co. so likely does what Celebrity & RCL does)?

Most RCL cruisers are used to picking up a plate(s) & bowls & heading for whatever food station they wish. The buffet type lines on HAL have always been a bit awkward IMO anyway, even though they now have tried to makeover areas into stations, the basic layout remains..!

On RCL+ ships the plates are usually cool and if just out of a dishwasher are stacked & tend to cool off rapidly..Never had a wet one either..if stacked they dry out while cooling..

U pick up a plate and go to a station to fill it so have never have been offered a 'hot' plate (warm - yes) back after getting it filled on an RCL+ ship.

Perhaps HAL shld either do the same or bring back the trays, otherwise more breakage and possibly worse cld occur - think of the 'oldsters' & 'youngsters' esp alone, attempting to manoevre a 'hot' plate...but JMO

Without trying to cause offense, I'm having a hard time understanding how your husband can manage a tray with only one hand / arm. Why not request assistance from a dining steward? I am able bodied and have accepted help when I needed it--frankly, the trays were difficult to carry with two hands.

I can only imagine that removal of the trays has to be complete; otherwise, passengers will see others with trays (for medical reasons, etc.) and ask for a tray, too. Eliminating all trays means an end to that possibility.

Only problem with your suggestion and while I agree with u, fewer staff members now means not as many available to carry food for folks and now with no trays & more trips for them even less chance of getting help carrying your food esp if its busy.

On my last HAL cruise had to wait, after getting a bowl of soup, for over 7 mins for help & guess what - by the time I sat down to eat my soup was almost cold. Tried getting a plate of 'hot' food & another 5 min wait to get it to a table & yup - u guessed it - almost cold again! Steward talking about being shortstaffed & it was obvious looking around..Always tip for their most welcome & excellent assistance in crowded conditions..

I wasn't impressed and likely the problem will only get worse as more labor down sizing takes place and believe me - it will.. Folks want cheaper & cheaper cruises and thats what they will get..:(

Besides, no trays mean more trips for folks to get the food so with more folks milling about and esp with HALs buffet-like lines, there are more chances for accidents and more time needed to even get a full meal.

Lido experience isn't as pleasant without the trays but JMO!

It seems pretty simple: If you want a tray, pack one in your luggage...it's the same as bringing an over-the-door shoe holder, a netbook, and the myriad of other things that enhance our vacation enjoyment. Like I said yesterday, I have trays at our inn for guests to use for breakfast to their room or to our garden patio that are feather-light and only measure approx. 12" x 15". They would work perfectly. You don't need a supersized tray!

Seems like a no-brainer.

I'm with you, John. I'm just going to throw a couple small trays in our luggage and be done with it.

I'm still trying to figure out why a thread on trays provokes so much interest... this latest one is now on Page 3.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Of course, they do take up some room in luggage that is now costing more to fly with and isn't this the excuse folks are using to avoid bringing more clothing & to avoid formal nites also?

With fuel supplements hanging over our heads (they shall return) & increased costs & lower fares guess whats next! Bring our own dishes - cutlery - napkins - towels etc.? Why not - some cruises require u to bring your own shampoo, hand lotion etc. already..?

Of course, guess for these cheaper cruises we shldn't complain - isn't this what lots of folks want - cheaper fares?

Unfortunately that also means less somewhere else..lesser quality (so the need for Pinn Grill) DR/RS & Lido food & slower service 'cause less staff (was OS in DR)..

Less staff also means not as much time to be fussy cleaning cabins/public washrooms - found candy wraps, rubber band, hair clips, dust ball & a partial banana peel under my bed & in a drawer left 'open' on my last cruise.. Plus the tub & sep. shower needed a good scrub with several hairs & soap scum left inside.. :(

Perhaps though if we aren't satisfied we shall have to consider siding over to a more upscale line to get what we have become used to...and pay more for more!

Although I suspect for most folks, having to row is where most will draw the line..:)

Archived