Quietvox headphones

Jesterscourt

Has anyone used the Quietvox Tour Headphones provided by Viking? I can't tell you how many times we have been on an excursion where we couldn't hear the guide due to passing traffic, or the size of our group, etc. Do they actually work, or are they more hassle than they're worth? I assume other cruiselines have them too.

Used them on Uniworld - and they were fine. The only person that was challenged on our tour was a gentleman who wore a hearing aid in the ear (? his left - but could be wrong...) that is designated as the AudioVox ear. Can't remember how he worked it out - but he did...

I just did a Uniworld cruise in July using the boxes. Yes, they are designed to be worn in the left ear, but our tour guide show us how to use it in your right ear,. You just have to use it "upside down". Meaning instead on having the loop around plastic part going over the ear, you put it below and around your earlobe. For for some reason the ear piece bothered me in my left ear, so I used it most of the time in my right ear. Each tour group is assigned a number. Each transmitter device also has a number on it. You wear the sound transmitter device on a string, like a lanyard around your neck. You get the device daily before you start your tour at the front desk and then turn it back in after the tour when you return to the ship so they can recharge it. Your tour guide's number & frequency need to be the same as yours. They worked very well 99% of the time, just had to make sure that your unit was dailed in properly. Occisionally you may have some static, but it wasn't very often. I never seemed to feel that street traffic made it difficult to hear. It was nice because you could be some distance from your guide and still hear their narration.

Just make sure that you test it before you depart for the tour. The tourguide normally asks everyone to turn them on, then he/she says a few words into the microphone to make sure everyone can hear.

Also, if you can't hear the tourguide it might be because they are not talkinging directly into their microphone and it is not your VoxBox that is the problem.

We have had them on every river tour and land tour that we have taken in the past several years. They are very helpful in being able to hear the guide w/o standing on top of them.

We have used them several times over the last few years on land tours and river cruises. In addition some local guides also use them. I have only had trouble 1 time in Venice when the batteries were low. The local guide just put in some batteries that she carried with her and than it worked fine.

We used the boxes in Russia with Viking in July, and they were fine as have been others that we have used on Uniworld trips. On Viking in Russia, we had two ear phones, just as with regular headsets.

The thing I like about them is that you don't have to stay so near the speaker to hear what is going on. I'm often a little ways away, snapping a photo or two but still know what's going on. :)

We used the headsets in every town we visited this year ... except Gouda .. and most of us recommended that this stop needs to have them for the next time .. but they gave us quite a nice way to hear what is going on even if you are at the back of the pack.

Archived