Newbie cruiser-- how much should we budget per day in port????

goose&mav

As you probably already know, you should leave that Amex at home as very few places overseas will accept it. quote]

Again, we used ours all over the place. Both our first trip and our second. Most recently in May on our second trip :

Hotel in Rome both pre and post cruise = points for future flights

Restaurants in Rome both pre and post cruise = points for future flights

Shopping ( jewelry for me and dd) on Santorini, Sirince (small village near Kusadasi Turkey), Grand Bazaar for pashminas for gifts, restaurant in Istanbul for lunch, lunch in Mykonos, two handmade silk ties in Rome for gifts.....etc etc.

all = reward points for future flights. We havent paid for airfare except once in years !!!!!

Again, we used ours all over the place. Both our first trip and our second. Most recently in May on our second trip :

Hotel in Rome both pre and post cruise = points for future flights

Restaurants in Rome both pre and post cruise = points for future flights

Shopping ( jewelry for me and dd) on Santorini, Sirince (small village near Kusadasi Turkey), Grand Bazaar for pashminas for gifts, restaurant in Istanbul for lunch, lunch in Mykonos, two handmade silk ties in Rome for gifts.....etc etc.

all = reward points for future flights. We havent paid for airfare except once in years !!!!!

First, you were lucky to find places that accept it but most places do not accept American Express. Second, Amex's international exchange fees are 2.7% (http://www.indexcreditcards.com/internationaltransactionfees/) so that more than offsets any possible rewards one would receive. In other words, Amex is picking your pocket blind, giving you a small amount back via rewards, and you're happy!?

It's hard to compete against Capital One's Visa that does not charges 0.0% transaction fees AND can give you rewards points too.

Excluding private tours, I would probably say 150 euros a day is reasonable. But then again, "Reasonable" is an individual term. Can it be done on 100 euros, or even 75? I'm sure it can. However, we've found that the euros tend to add up a lot quicker than you think.:)

As far as bringing U.S. dollars, I believe I brought around $250 with me. But that was to handle baggage handling at Newark Liberty airport, and in case we needed tranportation from the airport on our return to the U.S..

The primary reason we used ATM's was to pay for private tours & small purchases. We tried to put everything over 20 euros on our Capital One C.C. (Best tranaction fees, as previously indicated byCruisemmom42).

Our ATM account was with Commerce Bank (Now TD Bank), here in NJ. We each had our own cards against the same account. That allowed us to withdraw up to 700 euros each on the same day. Unsure if this was particular to Commerce bank, but it worked out great, giving us up to 1,400 euros on a given day. Sounds like a lot, but with private tours on back to back days, it can go pretty quickly.:eek: We were not able to get fellow passangers to share the tour expenses. Although expensive, private tours along the Amalfi Coast & some villages outside of Nice were well worth it. IMHO

Note: I was told that one's withdrawl limit is on a 24-hr clock. By this, if you withdrew your limit at 3pm on Monday, you could not make another withdrawl until after 3pm on Tuesday. I never tested this out, but made our withdrawls accordingly, just to play it safe.

Here are a couple of websites, that might be of interest to you.

Although we never had a problem locating ATM, this site might be helpful regarding VISA:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

I'm sure there is probably one for MasterCard.

This site will provide information regarding C.C & ATM foreign exchange fees for a number of financial institutions:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Stay well,

Anthony

Anthony-- thanks for that website about the Visa ATM's. I will be bringing along the information from that. My DH was not enthusiastic about "searching around" for ATM's so it's reassuring that there are alot more than we thought.:)

First, you were lucky to find places that accept it but most places do not accept American Express. Second, Amex's international exchange fees are 2.7% (http://www.indexcreditcards.com/internationaltransactionfees/) so that more than offsets any possible rewards one would receive. In other words, Amex is picking your pocket blind, giving you a small amount back via rewards, and you're happy!?

It's hard to compete against Capital One's Visa that does not charges 0.0% transaction fees AND can give you rewards points too.

Hi, texancruzer, I also have wondered this same issue several times, because you have mentioned previously in your posts about your AMEX points, whether those indeed offset the high foreign transaction fees now charged (up this year from previous 2%) by AMEX.

I ask this out of curiosity because I also use AMEX as much as possible in the US, for the skymiles benefits, but I only use it in Europe to rent cars (because of the great auto insurance provided gratis for my card level) and always use Capitol One (0% fee) the rest of the time in Europe.

Anyway, in no way trying to be condemning or critical, but truly trying to learn, could you explain how the points are worth more than the high transaction fees you have to pay for your foreign AMEX charges?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this issue.

Pam

Hi, texancruzer, I also have wondered this same issue several times, because you have mentioned previously in your posts about your AMEX points, whether those indeed offset the high foreign transaction fees now charged (up this year from previous 2%) by AMEX.

I ask this out of curiosity because I also use AMEX as much as possible in the US, for the skymiles benefits, but I only use it in Europe to rent cars (because of the great auto insurance provided gratis for my card level) and always use Capitol One (0% fee) the rest of the time in Europe.

Anyway, in no way trying to be condemning or critical, but truly trying to learn, could you explain how the points are worth more than the high transaction fees you have to pay for your foreign AMEX charges?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this issue.

Pam

Pam, I too use my Amex (mine is the Costco Business one) and it offers excellent cash rewards and benefits. However, like you, I only use it here in the U.S. because it makes no sense to pay Amex's foreign transaction fees which are very high, and thus can't possibly compare favorably with using a Capital One Visa with Rewards. Unfortunately, I don't think Texancruzer is even aware that Amex surcharges 2.7% behind the scenes on their foreign transactions. You are definitely using the right cards in the right places!

I am aware...... on the roughly $1000. we charged on AE in Europe on our last trip = 27.00 in fees.

If you check on AE website - there is an option to purchase points if you are a bit short when needing them. The "fee" to do this is @ 25. per 1000 points. Seems to wash out.

Also - if you figure up ATM fees (we used them alot our first trip) between the machine fees on that end, and small foreign bank fee on our end AND the exchange rate ...... we figured it up to come very close to a wash out.

We received a really good exchange rate on our charges last trip ! Better than ATM rate, rate to buy here at bank, rate on the ship etc.....

So look at the exchange rate too - not just fees.

Just a FYI: I don't know about countries in the Med, but in Belgium the traveller's check has gone the same way as the dinosaurs: extinction! Be sure you'll be able to cash them in!

Also, if you want to change USD into EUR on land, know that banks have weird opening times. They do love their siesta in the Med, even in touristy places!

ATMs are everywhere. I remember getting money out of the wall on some small Greek Island, in 97!! (however, in Paris that same year, we did not find one ATM. The euro has made it so much easier to travel, lol!)

I am aware...... on the roughly $1000. we charged on AE in Europe on our last trip = 27.00 in fees.

If you check on AE website - there is an option to purchase points if you are a bit short when needing them. The "fee" to do this is @ 25. per 1000 points. Seems to wash out.

Also - if you figure up ATM fees (we used them alot our first trip) between the machine fees on that end, and small foreign bank fee on our end AND the exchange rate ...... we figured it up to come very close to a wash out.

We received a really good exchange rate on our charges last trip ! Better than ATM rate, rate to buy here at bank, rate on the ship etc.....

As the American Express Membership Rewards program doesn't accumulate any more points or miles than other comparable rewards programs, including Capital One's, then the additional 2.7% assessed by Amex (vs. 0.0% for Capital One) is simply wasted money spent.

And as to Amex's vs. Visa's vs. Mastercard's respective foreign exchange rates, I am not aware of any advantage that one has over the others so that is a wash.

I'm not trying to call you out or give you a hard time, but you appear to be recommending that people use their American Express card when travelling overseas, but it is simply not the best credit card in that situation. Again, to summarize, Amex is not nearly as widely accepted as Visa/MC, and the rewards/benefits cannot offset the high international transaction fee cost.

As to ATMs, this particular sub-discussion was about credit card use and nobody has suggesting that a credit card is a substitute for that. However, using an ATM to get foreign currency is generally considered safer and less costly than getting foreign currency at your local bank prior to departure.

Thanks.....can you believe some have the nerve to accuse me of overplanning?? :D:D

Good to know about the cafe if we are pressed for time. I have to say museum cafes are generally better than one might expect. I've enjoyed eating in the ones in the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, and Capitoline Museum in Rome among others....

And since you're always mentioning your stash of granola bars, I figure you'd appreciate that I was so eager to get to the Archaeology Museum in Istanbul the day I arrived (it was closed the following day), that I headed over there immediately to get the maximum time. After they shooed me out at closing, I finally realized I was famished and sat down in the courtyard with all the column fragments and sculpture and ate a couple of energy bars!

LOL. Those small bars really are useful when your time is limited.:)

Now I am feeling a bit of guilt (but not too much!) for the bad influence I may be exerting on someone who supplied such a wonderful restaurant list for our meals in Rome. :D

IMO, you are mixing up two entirely separate subjects: credit card usage and ATM withdrawals for local currency.

I pay no fees for ATM withdrawals abroad using my local bank's ATM card because of my relationship with the bank. However, if I did have to pay a fee, it would be just 1% to my local bank. We pay no machine fees; the Plus or Star networks are pretty commonly found in Europe.

Nothing beats the 0% Capitol One card IMO.

Guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks for responding to my post.

Best regards,

Pam

As the American Express Membership Rewards program doesn't accumulate any more points or miles than other comparable rewards programs, including Capital One's, then the additional 2.7% assessed by Amex (vs. 0.0% for Capital One) is simply wasted money spent.

And as to Amex's vs. Visa's vs. Mastercard's respective foreign exchange rates, I am not aware of any advantage that one has over the others so that is a wash.

I'm not trying to call you out or give you a hard time, but you appear to be recommending that people use their American Express card when travelling overseas, but it is simply not the best credit card in that situation. Again, to summarize, Amex is not nearly as widely accepted as Visa/MC, and the rewards/benefits cannot offset the high international transaction fee cost.

As to ATMs, this particular sub-discussion was about credit card use and nobody has suggesting that a credit card is a substitute for that. However, using an ATM to get foreign currency is generally considered safer and less costly than getting foreign currency at your local bank prior to departure.

Not recommending one card over the other - but to say it is not accepted in Europe is untrue. We used ours all over the place. My point was we used our AE to pay for things instead of pulling cash out of an ATM to pay for the same items..... works better for us and we don't have to look for machines or carry the cash. We leave our big "wad" in the safe and only carry what we will spend that day. As far as $27.00 in AE fees per $1000. spent - convenience is worth more than the hassle to us. We also have a nice record of purchases. But then when we go on vacations we spend what we like and do not follow a budget.

IMO, you are mixing up two entirely separate subjects: credit card usage and ATM withdrawals for local currency.

I pay no fees for ATM withdrawals abroad using my local bank's ATM card because of my relationship with the bank. However, if I did have to pay a fee, it would be just 1% to my local bank. We pay no machine fees; the Plus or Star networks are pretty commonly found in Europe.

Nothing beats the 0% Capitol One card IMO.

Guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks for responding to my post. Best regards, Pam

See my explanation about using the AE instead of pulling cash out of ATMs to pay those items..... seems you have 2 choices - you can use a credit card or use cash......and okeedokee - we can agree to disagree :D Actually not disagree - just what works for some does not for others.

MOVING ON -------

Not recommending one card over the other - but to say it is not accepted in Europe is untrue. We used ours all over the place. My point was we used our AE to pay for things instead of pulling cash out of an ATM to pay for the same items..... works better for us and we don't have to look for machines or carry the cash. We leave our big "wad" in the safe and only carry what we will spend that day. As far as $27.00 in AE fees per $1000. spent - convenience is worth more than the hassle to us. We also have a nice record of purchases. But then when we go on vacations we spend what we like and do not follow a budget.

All I am trying to emphasize is that Amex is not nearly as widely accepted in Europe as Visa/MC. Especially small shops and restaurants will not accept it. This is simply fact. You are free to carry whatever you want, but if you want a card that is the most widely accepted, it has to be a Visa or MC.

As for Amex's 2.7% international transaction fee, it might be no big deal to you and the Amex is still entirely worth it, but for those that spend several thousands of dollars during a trip, that 2.7% adds up quickly to more than chump change. Again, I'm only pressing this issue because you had touted the benefits of using your Amex, and I don't want others to think that using their Amex is necessarily a good idea for their overseas purchases.

In summary, when considering all of Amex's drawbacks and costs (i.e. only moderate merchant acceptance and high international transaction fees), it's best to "leave home without it".

See my explanation about using the AE instead of pulling cash out of ATMs to pay those items..... seems you have 2 choices - you can use a credit card or use cash......and okeedokee - we can agree to disagree :D Actually not disagree - just what works for some does not for others.

MOVING ON -------

As Pam already said very succinctly, you are mixing two different and unrelated subjects: credit card and ATM use. This came up only because you mentioned bringing $2,000 in cash! That is alot of cash for someone who expounds on the use of her widely accepted Amex! Instead of bringing that much cash (especially dollars), we are just saying that it is better to use an ATM for cash as needed. Again, this has nothing to do with which credit cards you opt to use.

The view of a European: AE isn't as widely accepted. Yes, the major hotels and restaurants will take them, but you might encounter some problems in smaller places.

Also, it's not because they have the AE sticker on the door that they will actually accept the card for payments! They put the sticker on the door to attract customers, at time of payment they'll claim their are problems with the terminal and ask for cash or another card (because transaction costs for AE are high)

It's perfectly possible you did never encounter these problems during your trip, but be aware you COULD encounter them. We did in many countries.

I'm currently putting together rudimentary budgets for our days in some of the same ports you mention. Here is what I have so far (based on 2009 prices) for Athens, which is the more expensive day:

Athens:

Get off ship around 7am. Walk to metro (electric train); purchase all-day ticket for metro: 3 euro per person

Take metro (Green line) to Omonia station, transfer to Red line. Exit at Akropoli station

Head toward Hadrian's arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Purchase combo ticket good for most sites on the "antiquities promenade": 12 euro per person

See the Temple (opens 8am); then head toward Acropolis entrance. The new Acropolis museum is located very close. If time permits, pop in for a quick look (admission 1 euro per person through 2009)

Enter/walk up acropolis hill (included in your combo ticket) and view the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. (Get Frommer’s “Athens Past and Present” book and Peter Connolly’s “The Ancient City” before your trip to get oriented.) If you prefer a guide, you can usually pick one up here -- not sure of cost.

Head down the other side of the acropolis and visit the ancient Greek agora and Roman forum (included in combo ticket) on the way to Monastiraki metro station.

(If you wish to explore the Plaka, it is right here....good spot for lunch or just a quick "pick-me-up")

Hop on the Green line train to Viktoria stop for the Athens Archeological museum. Enroute to the museum (a few minutes walk from the metro) you will see lots of cafes for lunch.

Enter the museum (7 euro per person) and wander in air-conditioned comfort until it's time to head back to the ship. Don't miss the bronze Poseidon, the treasure of Troy, and finds from Akrotiri.

Head back to Monastiraki metro stop and take Green line back to Piraeus. Walk back to ship or, if really tired, haggle for a taxi ride.

--------------------

Even if you spend an additional 20 euro on taxi fare (which I'm considering in the morning to get us to the Acropolis more quickly) and 30 euro on lunch/refreshments, the total amount above for 2 people comes to about 100 euro. That's without any souvenirs or shopping. I generally don't include those in my "daily" budget as I have a separate amount I set aside for shopping.

If you find this helpful, I could post it for Corfu and Rhodes too -- although I have to admit that I'm not really planning to do much in Corfu (not a beach person at all....) and we may just go for a quick walk around the old town.

This is the itinerary we have planned for Athens too so this is perfect. Thanks again!

Some thoughts:

How much do I need. Europe is expensive. To estimate costs I convert euros to dollars one for one. So, for example, if I would spend $30 per person on dinner in the US I plan for 30 euros per person in Europe. I do the same with British pounds. Its not perfect, but it helps me out.

Local Currency. I always try to use the local currency. To me it is a sign of respect to do so, just like I try to learn a few basic phrases like please, thank you, and good morning in the language of each country I visit. I understand others may have a different view.

Currency to begin the trip. I usually try to save 50-100 euros every time I return home so that I have something to start with for the next trip. If I know I am facing an expensive cab ride or am running low, I pick up local currency at my bank before the trip. It is easier than trying to find an ATM at the airport sometimes. I recently flew into Dubrovnik from the US. It was very nice to have enough Croatian Kuna in my pocket to pay for transport to my hotel without worrying about finding an ATM.

ATMs. Some banks have partners (such as BofA and Barclay's) with a reciprocal no fee agreement. Check with your bank. I only use ATMs that are affiliated with a bank and preferably attached to a brick and mortar bank branch. I also trust ATMs inside airport terminals. I am much more cautious in countries like Bulgaria, Ukraine, Thailand, and Malaysia than in Western Europe where I think ATMs are as safe as in the US.

Credit Card. No Fee Capital One 1% Cash Back works great. I understand Schwab also has a no foreign transaction fee cash back card now too.

Archived