Splendor Mexican Riviera in January

Elationismyship

About to book the Splendor in January out of LAX to Mexican Riviera (just waiting on babysitter confirmation). Two questions:

Will the weather be warm in Mexico then? I've gone online to check and the average is 78 degrees but wanted to know from those who have been there in January if its too cold to swim typically or you probably will get a nice day type situation?

also

A local TA is offering $25 OBC for booking with them versus booking directly with Carnival. Same price for cruise. I'd probably just prefer staying with Carnival and booking directly. Do my chances of an upgrade go up if I book directly with Carnival?

Thanks!

We are booked on the 1/10/10 Splendor cruise!

Earlier this year we did the Mexican Riviera in early-mid February and found the temps to be really nice. Approximately high 70's low 80's.

It felt cool in the shade, but warm in the sun. It was near perfect. (However, in and near Long Beach was neither warm nor sunny!!! So if 60's are cold for you (they are for me), don't forget your jacket!!)

I didn't personally go in the ocean this trip (just laid on the beach in Cabo). However, there was no shortage of beach goers and beach sports happening.

We have always booked directly with Carnival and have never gotten (nor expected) an upgrade. Based on everything I've read, there are pro's and con's with using a TA so you have to decide what's best for you.

About to book the Splendor in January out of LAX to Mexican Riviera (just waiting on babysitter confirmation). Two questions:

Will the weather be warm in Mexico then? I've gone online to check and the average is 78 degrees but wanted to know from those who have been there in January if its too cold to swim typically or you probably will get a nice day type situation?

also

A local TA is offering $25 OBC for booking with them versus booking directly with Carnival. Same price for cruise. I'd probably just prefer staying with Carnival and booking directly. Do my chances of an upgrade go up if I book directly with Carnival?

Thanks!

We were on this ship 1/31/09 and the weather was very warm in the ports, about 90. Water temps were about 80. I went SCUBA diving in Acapulco and Zihua. We did a city tour in Manzanilla.

We would do it again.

I love the Mexican Riviera (two cruises and multiple land vacations) but am more of a pool person than ocean person. I've always found the weather to be warm in Jan (shorts & tank top weather) and have spent lots of time in a bathing suit at the pool. I know that the Pacific Ocean is much cooler than the Caribbean and the few times I've swum in the Pacific it was in October.

Good luck!

Just wanted to add that the first and last day can be quite chilly on the ship.

as you leave San Pedro..chances are the weather will be farely cold..

bring a set of sweats for the first day..

then as you cruise further south you suddenly feel the warmth and humidity going up and you know it s time to bring out the sandals and

shorts..

when we were there in 07 it was quite warm..HOT..and there were alot of people heading to the beach..the heat in Acopolco was insufferable along with the humidity and we enjoy d the AC bus..

PV just a bit cooler and Cabo was nearly perfect for our whale watching

tour..

when we got back to LA we hurried off the ship and headed back north

to home and got turn d back due to snow on the grapevine..:confused:

Thank you all for your response. The Splendor does have a retractable roof so the pool shouldn't be a problem in really cold days either.

Except the water temp in the lido pool remains quite chilly. I believe it is fed directly from the ocean - cold salty sea water. We were on the 8/2/2009 Splendor sailing. The kids didn't want to get into the pool until the second or third day when it finally started to warm up.

Regards,

Scott

Having cruised the Mexican Riviera 10 times, I will quite agree the first day at sea can be a little "brisk" in January:rolleyes: (but tolerable for the hardy that want some sun), but by around noon on the 2nd day at sea the ship will be going by Los Cabos and the weather will be significantly warmer. Being from So Cal, I never swim in postage-stamp-sized pools on cruise ships, so I can't help you there. Carnival's pools are sea water pumped aboard, so I would imagine the first day would be on the cool side.

However, the January weather in Mexico is marvelous. Not nearly as hot, of course, with much less humidity. :)

Its a trade-off, IMHO. With the added January benefit of lower cruise pricing. :D

Four months and counting . . . .

This is only our second cruise, and first cruise for the other two couples with us.

Our guys want to do the zipline in PV - I am now trying to decide whether to book independently or book thru Carnival. Carnival is higher, but seems like a lot smoother transition.

We are doing the zipline in PV this trip too. We did it a couple years ago and had a blast. This next trip will be with all the kids so we figured it was a perfect time to go again!

We will probably book it thru Carnival again.

There are definitely pros and cons with either option. But sometimes simplicity and ease of mind just outweigh things.

If I remember correctly, it was quite a good drive from the ship to the zipline. And considering all the various means of transportation we've taken in all the many ports we've been in, (and I'm referring specifically to the condition of the vehicles... EVERY vehicle :eek:)! I guess I am just more comfortable booking this one thru Carnival!!

Earlier this year we did the Mexican Riviera in early-mid February and found the temps to be really nice. Approximately high 70's low 80's.

It felt cool in the shade, but warm in the sun. It was near perfect. (However, in and near Long Beach was neither warm nor sunny!!! So if 60's are cold for you (they are for me), don't forget your jacket!!)

I was on this cruise a few years ago in December. First full day it was 80, the last full day it was 60. A lot can change in 7 days.

Living at Lake Tahoe at 6300 feet I find that in the 60's is warm for me, and the high 70's low 80's is a typical summer day here. One thing I know about weather is that is as subjective as the food on board. One thing funny about the 80 day on that cruise, I was saying how hot I was while this other couple was saying how cool it was. (They were from Arizona):D

I don't mind paying more for the peace of mind that they will get there and back, safe, and the only real effort on our part is booking.

When booking this thru Carnival, are there choices of different times throughout the day, or is it just one time per day? The girls would like to book a different excursion, but close to the same time as theirs, so we can meet back up and spend the rest of the day together.

I was on this cruise a few years ago in December. First full day it was 80, the last full day it was 60. A lot can change in 7 days.

Living at Lake Tahoe at 6300 feet I find that in the 60's is warm for me, and the high 70's low 80's is a typical summer day here. One thing I know about weather is that is as subjective as the food on board. One thing funny about the 80 day on that cruise, I was saying how hot I was while this other couple was saying how cool it was. (They were from Arizona):D

LOL, exactly!!! Temps are relative!!

It was relatively mild here yesterday at 106. :D Which beats the heck out of 118!!

Funny, the first time we cruised the Mexican Riviera was in July. Of course, being from Phoenix I never even considered that summer can be anything other than warm or hot, so I packed accordingly. Yikes, I don't know why I always forget that a cloudy summer day in L.A can be anything BUT warm!!! I froze my you-know-what off that first day!

The best thing I liked about cruising to Mexico in Feb vs July was the humidity (or lack of!!). July in PV was almost unbearable! But in Feb is was perfect!!!! Of course, that is relative too. :D

Archived