Formal nights

mccasey

Hi again!

On our 7-day cruise on the Mariner (leaves Sept 6th) will there really be 2 formal nights? Just wanna know what to pack.

Also, by any chance, are there hair dryers in the bathrooms onboard? Doubt it but... doesn't hurt to ask right!

Thanks!

MC

There was 2 formal night on my 7 night Serenade cruise in January.

There should be hair dryers in the rooms, but if you want to dry your hair with it you would be better going out to the deck and letting it blow in the wind. I would bring your own, the room ones, are as good as a decoration!

The hair dryer is in the cabin, not the bathroom---it's in the vanity drawer. If you are used to a small "hotel" style dryer, this is what you'll get! I always have to bring my own...the ship's dryers just don't blow hard enough!

Your formal nights will be nights 2 and 5...but do like I do to save room with packing...wear the same dress each night. You're only wearing it for a few hours and I certainly never remember what my tablemates are wearing three nights later. :) I'm just sayin'.

Hi MC

Just back from Mariner yesterday. (whaaaah! :() didn't want to go home. We had a great time!

Formal night was Monday & Friday..... Ladies mostly wore cocktail dresses, about 20-25% wore long gowns. We had first seating, so maybe 2nd had more formal attire...... But it was so warm in Mexico, I got the feeling that most people didn't feel like dressing to the nines. .... A lot of people changed to more casual (comfortable) attire after dinner.

I only saw about 10-15% of the men wearing tuxedos. Most men (70%)wore dark suits including my dh. Our teens wore dress slacks, dress shirt & tie, didn't bother with jackets, it was too warm and I didn't want to purchase new suits for them either....

There was one lady that wore a fur wrap with her gown. She probably felt overdressed on this cruise. ;)

Hairdryers are available in each cabin. They are not in the bathroom but in a drawer in the desk/vanity area in the cabin. They work fine. But they are the type that you have to "hold down the on button" to operate. That can be a little annoying at times.

If you can't live without your hairdryer at home, I would suggest you bring your own as you will be much happier.....The problem I had was with the humidity!!!!! My hair was a total frizzy, curly mess! ....So glad I brought my flat iron! I wish I had brought a deep conditioner, as by the end of the week I really needed something like that.....you also may want to bring your own shampoo/conditioner, as the stuff in the shower is labeled "shampoo" but its more like liquid hand soap. LOL :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Karen

Hi again!

On our 7-day cruise on the Mariner (leaves Sept 6th) will there really be 2 formal nights? Just wanna know what to pack.

Also, by any chance, are there hair dryers in the bathrooms onboard? Doubt it but... doesn't hurt to ask right!

Thanks!

MC

Thanks for all the info guys! So if people wore cocktail dresses on formal nights, what do they wear on the other nights? Aren't the other nights kinda semi-formal? I'm not a super seasoned cruiser so don't wanna be overdressed but also don't wanna be underdressed!

I always wear either a fairly basic daytime-ish dress, or a (pretty) tank top and short skirt, or a tank top and pants (not jeans). Nice shoes. Basically how you'd go to a decent restaurant. It's now MUCH less dressy on the non-formal nights than it used to be. I think it's pretty much "formal" or "casual." There used to be "smart casual" but not anymore.

I just like dressing nice when I'm on vacation. Just don't wear shorts and you should be fine.

OK thanks! That's what I thought I guess. I also enjoy dressing up when on vacation! I don't get enough opportunities to do so at home so... But then again I don't wanna look overdressed!

Does anybody ever wear jeans (nice jeans, not scruffy looking jeans) ever anyone on board?

People do but I haven't seen it too often. I see more men in jeans than women. Some people don't like to see others in jeans in the MDR, others don't care. I don't like when people are dressed in t-shirts on formal night, but if you're wearing a nice pair of dark jeans, a nice shirt and shoes on casual night, I certainly wouldn't look twice. I also can't see your legs under the table.

I'd rather sit next to a fun slob than a dressed up beeyotch. :)

I believe that many feel jeans are just a bit too heavy or warm for these cruises. Go for comfort.

Good point, which I forgot about. The Mariner does the Mexican Riviera, right? I assume it'll be pretty warm...I've only done the Caribbean and couldn't imagine wearing jeans at any point anyway. (Well except for my Feb Bahamas cruise...then I wished I had jeans and a light jacket!) Yeesh.

True! I assume it'll be hot in Mexico in early September! Now I'm thinking of my options... I know I will overpack!

Here is a list that might help avoid overpacking...

1 suit, 2 Dockers, 3 dress shirts, 2 ties, 4 polo shirts, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 other long pants, 2 swim suits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, socks & underwear. It all fits in one checked bag (43 lbs) plus one carry on (18 lbs.). This is for a 7 day cruise. Add a polo shirt, socks and underwear for each additional day, if cruise is longer. Do not pack denim, since it is very heavy.

2 formal dresses, one sparkly top, one skirt, 3 Capris, 4 casual tops, 2 shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 swimsuits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr sandals, socks, underwear and panty hose. This all fits into a checked bag (41 lbs) and a carry on (20 lbs) as well.

This is for a 7 day cruise. No problems with airlines and easy to maneuver to and from airport.

Here is a list that might help avoid overpacking...

1 suit, 2 Dockers, 3 dress shirts, 2 ties, 4 polo shirts, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 other long pants, 2 swim suits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, socks & underwear. It all fits in one checked bag (43 lbs) plus one carry on (18 lbs.). This is for a 7 day cruise. Add a polo shirt, socks and underwear for each additional day, if cruise is longer. Do not pack denim, since it is very heavy.

2 formal dresses, one sparkly top, one skirt, 3 Capris, 4 casual tops, 2 shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 swimsuits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr sandals, socks, underwear and panty hose. This all fits into a checked bag (41 lbs) and a carry on (20 lbs) as well.

This is for a 7 day cruise. No problems with airlines and easy to maneuver to and from airport.

Thanks!

Just follow the old rule...take half the clothes and twice the money!

Your wardrobe for days at sea will be a bathing suit and cover up. No real clothes needed during the day.

In port wear a shirt and shorts.

Mix and match outfits for the evening so you're not bringing tons of pants, skirts and dresses. Wear the bottom part of the outfit twice.

The biggest Sophie's Choice moment i always have is with my shoes. On my last cruise I just brought a carry-on because I didn't want to 1) Wait for luggage at MIA or 2)Pay American another $25. So I had to REALLY pick and choose the shoes. Every night including formal I wore silvery sandals, which went with my formal dress (which was nothing more than a little black dress) as well as my other dresses and pants since they're very neutral.

I wore my sneakers on the plane since they take up room. I brought flip-flops for the pool area. And I brought one more pair of sandals that I could either wear at night or in port if I didn't want to wear sneakers.

We all LOVE to bring tons of stuff for choices, but if you make those choices while you're packing, you won't overpack.

Oh and bring a light sweater thing that you can wear in the dining room. On most cruises, I've found the MDR to be QUITE cold, although on my last one (Majesty) I never needed the jacket. Prior to the Majesty in Feb, I hadn't cruised since 2003, so it's possible that the ships are now cutting back on the a/c to save money.

Your formal nights will be nights 2 and 5...but do like I do to save room with packing...wear the same dress each night. You're only wearing it for a few hours and I certainly never remember what my tablemates are wearing three nights later. :) I'm just sayin'.

On my last cruise I ran into a very nice group of ladies and had one knit my wife a beautiful outfit. She wore it both formal nights.

Archived