Paul Gaugin - Scuba certification

vegasbb

I'll be sailing the PG in November and likely won't have time to get certified before I leave. I'm wondering what my options will be for diving while on board. I noticed on the first day they offer a "discover" class and afterwards they offer excursions labeled "BEGINNER DIVERS" compared to other excursions labeled "certified divers". What kind of certification is necessary for the beginner dives?

I can't answer your question about what kind of certification is required for "beginner diver" dives on the PG, but I'd like to offer a suggestion. It might be possible to take the open-water dives part of a SCUBA certification course on the cruise. The way that works is that you arrange with your local PADI affiliated dive shop to take the classroom and pool parts of a SCUBA certification course and then get a "referral" to finish the course while on the cruise. First you have to find out whether the PG or the dive ops it contracts with are PADI affiliated instructors. Start at www.padi.com You can even take some of the course online (I don't know how that works)

event.png

I did the Discover Scuba course last year while on board. After the time in the pool, where you learn a few skills you need to know, you sign up for dives where you are with the instructor the entire time. I was able to do 3 dives (bora bora, moorea, and rangiroa). It was a great introduction to diving.

I wouldn't suggest certification while on board because I wouldn't want to spend my vacation time studying a book. :p

eta: They are PADI

What kind of certification is necessary for the beginner dives?

There is no certification required for the Discover Scuba dive. It is expressly designed to give non-certified people the opportunity to try scuba diving before committing to spend the $ and time to get certified.

• 1 month later...
What dive operators would you reccommend in Fiji. My husband and I are certified and are starting to research dive options while we are on a Holland America cruise. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

It will really depend on where in Fiji you stop for port of call.

My only real diving experience there was on a 7 day liveaboard trip on http://www.naia.com.fj/

• 1 month later...

Just finished SYD - LA on STAR Princess and had dives with 7 others in Fiji, Moorea, Tahiti, and Bora Bora. All were thru PADI certified dive shops and YES, you can complete certification dives while at these locations. You do need to WORK with the dive shops to arrange this service. On Fiji we used Greg Buxton [greg@skindeepfiji.com] and Laurent [moorea@topdive.com] for the other locations. Top Dive is a superb resource with very helpful personnel and shops.

Archived