Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

we recently stayed at Hyatt Place and highly recommend it, their shuttle picked us up at the airport and also took us downtown and came back later to get us, very friendly, great free breakfast in the morning and great shopping right next door, shuttle to cruise port was $7.00 and worked out great

Sorry not mud pie but Key Lime Pie!

Way was I thinking......

We loved the Hyatt place 17th street. Just stayed there beginning of April. Lots of shopping resteraunt s nearby. Be sure to head to Gilbert's and have some mud pie.

I would recommend heading to the publix grocery store they seem to have everything at very reasonable prices.

There is also a sun trolley that runs out to the beach and on weekends you can ride it all the way to Los Alos if you want. They pick up in front of Publix.

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi!

We've got 2 days pre-cruise to check out FLL and surrounding areas. We're staying at Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South on Stirling Dr. Is there a liquor store in the Oakwood shopping center and if not, where is the closest one?

We're thinking about doing the "Duck Tour" and perhaps a drive to Miami. Any other suggestions on what to see/do while in FLL?

Hi!

We've got 2 days pre-cruise to check out FLL and surrounding areas. We're staying at Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South on Stirling Dr. Is there a liquor store in the Oakwood shopping center and if not, where is the closest one?

We're thinking about doing the "Duck Tour" and perhaps a drive to Miami. Any other suggestions on what to see/do while in FLL?

BJ's club in Oakwood sells liquor. Also close is Crown Liquor on Sheridan St, about a half mile west of I95. Fort Lauderdale has a few attractions downtown: Las Olas Blvd, Riverwalk, Stranahan House, Museum of Art, Museum of Discovery and Science, Broward Center for Performing Arts, SW 2nd St (pubs/dining), Las Olas Riverfront. These are all walking distance to each other, so just park downtown and walk around. You can also ride the water taxi up and down the New River and intracoastal waterway. Then there is the beach. :)

Sharon (royalcruz) Can you help me out with a restaurant for a prenight stay before boarding the Allure? Looking at Anthony's Pizza,Grampa's,Gilberts or a sports bar near the pier. What would be your recommendation. We do not want to dress up because we will just be getting into town for a prenight stay at the Holiday Inn Express on State Road.

Thank you for any info you can give.

Sharon (royalcruz) Can you help me out with a restaurant for a prenight stay before boarding the Allure? Looking at Anthony's Pizza,Grampa's,Gilberts or a sports bar near the pier. What would be your recommendation. We do not want to dress up because we will just be getting into town for a prenight stay at the Holiday Inn Express on State Road.

Linda! You are neglecting the DFW pg, didnt know you were heading out!

We found the best seafood place in FLL last year, and if we were not staying in Miami this yr we would be back again. It is the www.rusticinn.com We are on the Reflection the middle of Nov, come join us!

EW

Well, the only one of those choices that I've tried is Anthony's and it is very good quality pizza but it is served well done and not everyone likes that. Their wings are excellent too, well cooked but not fried. Other places you might like in the SR84/port area are Duffy's, Lester's Diner, Kelly's Landing, Ernie's Barbeque, Waxy O Conners, or Slackers (haven't tried that one but it's near your hotel). Rustic Inn as recommended above is a few miles away but is also a good choice.

Okay we have stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood several times (awesome) and we have also stayed at the Renaissance and the Riverside and both are beautiful. We usually do not rent a car, but this November we shall and I am not too thrilled about shelling out $20-$25 per night to park.

I have checked out the Tropi Rock on Belmar Street and it not only has a great rate which includes parking, but it is close to the beach. Trip Advisor comments are mostly positive. The photos make it look classy, but we all know that photos can be deceptive. We realize that it is not in the same category of the fore mentioned hotels.

Has anyone had any experiences at Tropi Rock?

Well, the only one of those choices that I've tried is Anthony's and it is very good quality pizza but it is served well done and not everyone likes that. Their wings are excellent too, well cooked but not fried. Other places you might like in the SR84/port area are Duffy's, Lester's Diner, Kelly's Landing, Ernie's Barbeque, Waxy O Conners, or Slackers (haven't tried that one but it's near your hotel). Rustic Inn as recommended above is a few miles away but is also a good choice.

Thank you Sharon, for your reply and recs...I'll check them out. I'm kinda liking that Anthony's Pizza Place:D

Linda! You are neglecting the DFW pg, didnt know you were heading out!

We found the best seafood place in FLL last year, and if we were not staying in Miami this yr we would be back again. It is the www.rusticinn.com We are on the Reflection the middle of Nov, come join us!

EW

Hey Wallie - I've missed talking to you guys. I need to come on over. I checked out Rustic Inn. It's in the hat for the drawing:D;)

Sharon,

Know you are in FLL, but any thoughts on a not to be missed resturant in Miami? We will be at the Hyatt Regency Nov 15th.

Thanks, EW

Sorry, I can't help with that...I rarely go to Miami...however my Cuban friends swear by Versailles...they say it's incredibly cheap and incredibly good. I've also heard good things about Dolores, But Call Me Lolita, downtown....they have a fixed price 2-course menu, $14 bottles of wine, and it's trendy.

Okay we have stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood several times (awesome) and we have also stayed at the Renaissance and the Riverside and both are beautiful. We usually do not rent a car, but this November we shall and I am not too thrilled about shelling out $20-$25 per night to park.

I have checked out the Tropi Rock on Belmar Street and it not only has a great rate which includes parking, but it is close to the beach. Trip Advisor comments are mostly positive. The photos make it look classy, but we all know that photos can be deceptive. We realize that it is not in the same category of the fore mentioned hotels.

Has anyone had any experiences at Tropi Rock?

No, but some CC members have stayed there and liked it (do a search and it should come up)...haven't seen it meantioned in a long time. Lago Mar is on the beach and has free parking. Alhambra is a half block from the beach and has free parking and good reviews and is in the most central location.

Hey Sharon can you recomend a clean hotel nothing real fancy near port Everglade for our cruise in October. We don't arrive till about 11 30pm. Which brings another question. Would hotels still charge full rates though arriving late. Thanks

Hey Sharon can you recomend a clean hotel nothing real fancy near port Everglade for our cruise in October. We don't arrive till about 11 30pm. Which brings another question. Would hotels still charge full rates though arriving late. Thanks

You pay the same rate at any hotel regardless of what time you check in. Be sure to call the front desk directly on the same day you are arriving to advise them of your late checkin. Some basic hotels near the port:Holiday Inn Express on SR84 or SE 17th St and Hampton Inn FLL north. Also look at good rates booking Hyatt Place Convention Center/17th St on Valuetrips.

We are driving to FLL in Aug. for a cruise. Can you suggest a hotel under $100 that will let you park your car and have a shuttle. I have found some on line but I do not know any of the area's. This will be our first time to FLL. Thanks for any help you can give me.

We are driving to FLL in Aug. for a cruise. Can you suggest a hotel under $100 that will let you park your car and have a shuttle. I have found some on line but I do not know any of the area's. This will be our first time to FLL. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Check with Sleep Inn in Dania and La Quinta in Hollywood to see if they are still offering this service. There might be a small charge for port shuttles. I'm pretty sure that the Rodeway and Ramada offer this but they get very mixed reviews. The Cambria and Hamptons near the airport have offered this service but the first 2 I recommended usually are less expensive. Rates in August tend to be low, so book a rate that you can cancel and rebook for price drops...keep checking.

Extended Stay America fits the bill, it's basic no-frills but has free shuttle, located in the preferred 17th St. Area where you can walk to restaurants. There's a list of other hotels here that offer shuttles.

Extended Stay America fits the bill, it's basic no-frills but has free shuttle, located in the preferred 17th St. Area where you can walk to restaurants. There's a list of other hotels here that offer shuttles.

According to that website parkingstay, the only one that still offers free long term parking and free port shuttle in the regular (non-package) rate is Springhill. It costs more than $100/night, but not much more, and I've seen great reviews there.

When we get to Embassy Suites, we need to head to CVS to pick up a prescription that is being faxed in. I think the closest one was about .3 mile away. Is this a safe and easy walk?

Yes, just go a few blocks west on SE 17th St and you'll find CVS on the corner of US1.