Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

[quote name='morganboys']we have a party of 8 and need transportation.
1. from the airport (fll) to the embassy suites near the port
2. from embassy suites to carnival freedom
3. from carnival freedom back to airport (fll)
would a cab be our best bet and how is the best to arrange setting this up? I'm not one to want to just crab a cab on the spot. I would prefer to set it up so I know my transportation is set up. any suggestions is appreciated.
thanks[/quote]
You really don't need to set up transportation in Fort Lauderdale from any of those locations. I don't even know if you can call a taxi for the airport or cruiseport because how would you know which one is yours. But if you insist on calling a taxi, it's 954-777-7777. There might be a shuttle that can get all of you in together...a search here will bring up the names of some local companies.

When we stayed at the Embassy Suites, we planned on taking a taxi to the port (took 2 taxi's from the airport to the hotel). The shuttle driver that takes passengers from the hotel to the port tried to get us to take his shuttle ($7 or $8 per person). I told him no thank you, that 3 taxi's will be much cheaper. He then said he would take all of us for $35 . Sold! He actually gave me his business card...I believe it was Double R transportation or something similar. If you want his name and number I can give that to you.

[quote name='royalcruz']I didn't realize that you actually wanted to see Fort Lauderdale. There is nothing really to see around Hyatt Place airport (other than a discount shopping plaza) or Hyatt Pier 66 (other than the drawbridge that overlooks the port). Maybe you should stay at Courtyard Beach and let them hold your bags after checkout. At least you can easily explore the beach area around there by foot. It's also the closest hotel of the 3 to downtown if you want to take a short ride over to Las Olas Blvd. A taxi ride to Miami from Fort Lauderdale is going to cost close to $100. Hyatt Place is the closest so it will be the least expensive trip from there.[/QUOTE]

Sharon - i think i just caught a mistake, thanks to you. i thought i had booked the Hyatt Place near the marina (near bimini boatyard, Anthonys Coal Fired pizza) - until i read your post and realized I booked the airport location. Can you please confirm it is the 17 st location we want? any idea of cab fare from there to the port? Any other good pizza places nearby? and do you recommend this hotel? we are travelling in November and get a rate of $125ish for both locations.

Thanks for your help!

[quote name='emiliesmom']Sharon - i think i just caught a mistake, thanks to you. i thought i had booked the Hyatt Place near the marina (near bimini boatyard, Anthonys Coal Fired pizza) - until i read your post and realized I booked the airport location. Can you please confirm it is the 17 st location we want? any idea of cab fare from there to the port? Any other good pizza places nearby? and do you recommend this hotel? we are travelling in November and get a rate of $125ish for both locations.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

Just to clarify - we want out hotel to be near some good local restaurants...

Thank you so much for all the input.
I guess I was thinking that we could spend some time at FLL at the beach. And then go to Miami....I am thinking the girls will want to see some of south beach I know the want to go by the dash store, so maybe just some shopping.
I was thinking the beach at FLL might be better?
Having never been to this area, I really appreciate all your help.
We also don't fly out until 5:45 the day we get back, so we will have a little time then also.

Thank you!:)

We are leaving on Carnival Cruise from FT. Lauderdale...we like Embassy Suites.too....so, can we get a shuttle right from embassy to Carnival port in Ft. Lauderdale? Does Embassy have a shuttle from Airport to Hotel? Edited by topaz123

[quote name='topaz123']We are leaving on Carnival Cruise from FT. Lauderdale...we like Embassy Suites.too....so, can we get a shuttle right from embassy to Carnival port in Ft. Lauderdale? Does Embassy have a shuttle from Airport to Hotel?[/QUOTE]

All of Embassy's transfers are for a fee.

[quote name='emiliesmom']Sharon - i think i just caught a mistake, thanks to you. i thought i had booked the Hyatt Place near the marina (near bimini boatyard, Anthonys Coal Fired pizza) - until i read your post and realized I booked the airport location. Can you please confirm it is the 17 st location we want? any idea of cab fare from there to the port? Any other good pizza places nearby? and do you recommend this hotel? we are travelling in November and get a rate of $125ish for both locations.

Thanks for your help![/quote]
The airport HP is newer, but the Convention Center/17th St HP is in a better location if you want local restaurants. Doughboys Pizza is very close; it's good but nothing special. Anthony's Coal Fired is less than a mile away and is very good, but the pizza is well done. Osteria Acqua & Farina is even better (authentic Italian pizza) and is about a mile away. Cab fare to the port from that HP is about $10-15 per taxi.

[quote name='topaz123']We are leaving on Carnival Cruise from FT. Lauderdale...we like Embassy Suites.too....so, can we get a shuttle right from embassy to Carnival port in Ft. Lauderdale? Does Embassy have a shuttle from Airport to Hotel?[/quote]
Taxis are about $15 per cab from airport and less than that to the port.

[quote name='wmac']Thank you so much for all the input.
I guess I was thinking that we could spend some time at FLL at the beach. And then go to Miami....I am thinking the girls will want to see some of south beach I know the want to go by the dash store, so maybe just some shopping.
I was thinking the beach at FLL might be better?
...Thank you!:)[/quote]
I'm not sure which beach is better. South Beach is much wider so you have to walk further from the street to get to the ocean. If you go to the beach across from Beach Place in Ft Lauderdale it is easy to get drinks and food and a little shopping (and restrooms).

[quote name='mstelly']All of Embassy's transfers are for a fee.[/quote]

What is the fee from airport to hotel? From hotel to Port? Seems odd to have a fee from airport to Hotel, this is the only Embassy we have stayed in that charged to take you to the hotel? Is that correct...thanks!!

[quote name='topaz123']What is the fee from airport to hotel? From hotel to Port? Seems odd to have a fee from airport to Hotel, this is the only Embassy we have stayed in that charged to take you to the hotel? Is that correct...thanks!![/QUOTE]

No free shuttle at this ES at all. See post 4083 for taxi fares.

With out going through and reading all 200+ pages of posts, I hope my question is not too redundant.
myself, Dh, son (10) and daughter (9) will be cruising out of FT Lauderdale. We would like to arrive in town 2-3 nights pre cruise.
Since we are looking for more than a pre cruise 1 night stay, what hotel would you recommend?
A good pool is a must, beach front would be nice, but not required. A view of the cruise ships coming and going is not important. Acessability to restaurants, shops, things to do would be of importance.
If we arrive 3 days prior we may get a rental and go to a gator farm, if 2 days we will just stay in/around the hotel enjoying the pool (beach?) and adjusting to the time zone Edited by cruise cruise cruise

[quote name='cruise cruise cruise']With out going through and reading all 200+ pages of posts, I hope my question is not too redundant.
myself, Dh, son (10) and daughter (9) will be cruising out of FT Lauderdale. We would like to arrive in town 2-3 nights pre cruise.
Since we are looking for more than a pre cruise 1 night stay, what hotel would you recommend?
A good pool is a must, beach front would be nice, but not required. A view of the cruise ships coming and going is not important. Acessability to restaurants, shops, things to do would be of importance.
If we arrive 3 days prior we may get a rental and go to a gator farm, if 2 days we will just stay in/around the hotel enjoying the pool (beach?) and adjusting to the time zone[/quote]

Not to be blunt, but your question is the most asked in this thread and the board itself. You don't have to read all 200 pages, just the last 8 or 10 and all your questions will be answered.

[quote name='Florissouri']Not to be blunt, but your question is the most asked in this thread and the board itself. You don't have to read all 200 pages, just the last 8 or 10 and all your questions will be answered.[/quote]

Sorry, I only went back 6 pages, per your suggestion I will read back farther. So far most of the hotel questions and suggestions have been based on shuttle and walking distance to gather last minute supplies.
I have yet to find mention of hotels with good pool facilities.
But, I will keep looking!

[quote name='cruise cruise cruise']Sorry, I only went back 6 pages, per your suggestion I will read back farther. So far most of the hotel questions and suggestions have been based on shuttle and walking distance to gather last minute supplies.
But, I will keep looking![/quote]

Hi, when you say "good pool facilities".....you want a swimming pool?
Do you have a budget you are staying within?....there are many,
many hotels along the beach in Ft. Lauderdale....I use Google
ALOT....I just googled the words "Hotels on Ft. Lauderdale Beach".
Here is a link: At the top of it there are probably 20 choices....
Click on each one and you can see what each hotel has to offer.
[URL]http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=hotels+on+ft.+lauderdale+beach&oq=Hotels+on+Ft.+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l4.2942.10956.0.14506.24.15.5.3.3.0.454.4305.0j4j4j3j4.15.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.MdHR4Qh6XIA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48293060,d.eWU&fp=f3b0a58345c387c2&biw=1600&bih=754[/URL]

Hi,

When I was looking for a nice hotel in Ft. Lauderdale I went to "Florida departures" forum and under the search tab typed Ft. Lauderdale Hotels. Page of threads came up with wonderful info!

I am staying at the Hilton Beach resort- which is across the street from the beach and according to reviews has a lovely pool. However, I do believe it is a bit pricey (I used points to book). I think there is also a Courtyard Marriott pretty close to the beach as well.

Good luck!!
Caro
[quote name='cruise cruise cruise']Sorry, I only went back 6 pages, per your suggestion I will read back farther. So far most of the hotel questions and suggestions have been based on shuttle and walking distance to gather last minute supplies.
But, I will keep looking![/QUOTE]

[quote name='caro1998']Hi,

When I was looking for a nice hotel in Ft. Lauderdale I went to "Florida departures" forum and under the search tab typed Ft. Lauderdale Hotels. Page of threads came up with wonderful info!

I am staying at the Hilton Beach resort- which is across the street from the beach and according to reviews has a lovely pool. However, I do believe it is a bit pricey (I used points to book). I think there is also a Courtyard Marriott pretty close to the beach as well.

Good luck!!
Caro[/quote]

Hi, we are on the Florida Forum:)

Thanks everyone!
I just started my research today, so sorry if I am vague on my questions.

[quote name='Lois R']Hi, when you say "good pool facilities".....you want a swimming pool?
Do you have a budget you are staying within?....there are many,
many hotels along the beach in Ft. Lauderdale....I use Google
ALOT....I just googled the words "Hotels on Ft. Lauderdale Beach".
Here is a link: At the top of it there are probably 20 choices....
Click on each one and you can see what each hotel has to offer.
[URL]http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=hotels+on+ft.+lauderdale+beach&oq=Hotels+on+Ft.+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l4.2942.10956.0.14506.24.15.5.3.3.0.454.4305.0j4j4j3j4.15.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.MdHR4Qh6XIA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48293060,d.eWU&fp=f3b0a58345c387c2&biw=1600&bih=754[/URL][/quote]

Yes, we are looking for a swimming pool. Something more than a basic square pool. I came across one property with a lazy river? so looking for something with ambiance? A larger pool deck area for sunning. Any place have a pool bar/restaurant?

We don't need all of these things in a pool, but would like more than a small square pool.

We like the beach to walk and view, but I prefer to swim and sun at a pool.

I would like to keep the budget under $250

Thanks everyone!

Yes, we are looking for a swimming pool. Something more than a basic square pool. I came across one property with a lazy river? so looking for something with ambiance? A larger pool deck area for sunning. Any place have a pool bar/restaurant?

We don't need all of these things in a pool, but would like more than a small square pool.

Hi, click on that link I posted......there are tons of hotels listed.

The Weston is highly recommended on here......

I am guessing Royal Cruz can help you...she lives down there and is a wealth of information.

Edited by Lois R

We will be staying at the Riverside in Ft. Lauderdale. Is their is any public buses's that run in Las Olas or may be near by or in 17 St. When ever we go to a new place we enjoy taking the bus this way we can get to see the area. We try to take a long scenic route or just to get from one place to the other. I'm trying to find out if their are any public buses we can use and were do they go. I tried to look it up on line for their public bus but was not able to get any answers, it might be lack of knowledge in search.

With out going through and reading all 200+ pages of posts, I hope my question is not too redundant.

If we arrive 3 days prior we may get a rental and go to a gator farm, if 2 days we will just stay in/around the hotel enjoying the pool (beach?) and adjusting to the time zone

You might like the Sheraton Beach, Westin Beach, or Marriott Beach Place Towers. Also, Marriott Harbor Beach has the nicest pool on Fort Lauderdale Beach, but it is pricier than the others. Lago Mar is another nice place for families on the beach...it's not walking distance to anything but they do have free parking.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks everyone!

The Pelican Grand has a lazy river pool and a bar and restaurant next to the pool. It's not walking distance to anything though. The W Hotel has a rectangular pool, but it's cool, because some of it is glass and you can see people swimming through the glass...kids think it's cool. The glass wall around the pool deck also makes you feel like you are on a ship looking out over the ocean when you are on the loungers.

We will be staying at the Riverside in Ft. Lauderdale. Is their is any public buses's that run in Las Olas or may be near by or in 17 St. When ever we go to a new place we enjoy taking the bus this way we can get to see the area. We try to take a long scenic route or just to get from one place to the other. I'm trying to find out if their are any public buses we can use and were do they go. I tried to look it up on line for their public bus but was not able to get any answers, it might be lack of knowledge in search.

Bus 11 goes from the hotel to the beach and then turns north and goes all the way up A1A to Pompano Beach, then to the Pompano Citi Centre (an outdoor mall with Sears, Pennys, Macys, Ross, Big Lots, and a few restaurants). If you get off just after you get to A1A, you can connect to the 40 bus which runs to 17th St (south) and Galleria Mall (north). If you have any desire to ride on US 1, you can connect to the 10 bus by taking 11 west to the terminal (which is in the rougher inner city area). The Sun Trolley also connects Las Olas to the beach.