Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Royal you are a treasure. Thank you just doesn't seem enough for all the information you have shared. You have taken the angst out of our pre-cruise stay. Bless you for the service you provide to us cruisers. May you still be here next time we leave out of this port.

I would most certainly agree.:D

One of the reasons that I often check out this thread is to read the advice of Royalcruz!

I am sure this has already been answered somewhere in these pages, but with a new grandbaby I am helping to take care of temporarily, I do not have time to look through all pages.

Can you please reccomend a nice hotel with park and cruise and shuttle that is on or at least within very close walking distance to beaches? We are going out of Ft Lauderdale in August, and have no clue on anything. We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral.

I am sure this has already been answered somewhere in these pages, but with a new grandbaby I am helping to take care of temporarily, I do not have time to look through all pages.

Can you please reccomend a nice hotel with park and cruise and shuttle that is on or at least within very close walking distance to beaches? We are going out of Ft Lauderdale in August, and have no clue on anything. We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral.

The closest hotel to the beach that I know offers a park & cruise package is the sleep inn in Dania, about a mile from the beach. The shuttles are free but I think you now have to book a package to include the parking. None of the beach hotels offer cruise parking or shuttles. Sometimes the Renaissance and Hyatt Place north offer park & cruise packages. They are about a $10 taxi ride to the beach, or you can take the Suntrolley for 50 cents or bus 40 for $1.75, each way.

My DH and I will be flying into FLL for our cruise out of Miami. Are flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30pm on November 21, 2012. We are just looking for a clean room, airport shuttle (if possible) and maybe a place to pick up some soda for the cruise.

We are wanting to stay the night in FLL. Can anyone recommend a hotel for us? I have spent a week or more looking online but I would rather hear from CC members who have stayed at a hotel they liked.

Thank you for your help.

We are booked at the Sleep Inn in Dania for our cruise next April out of POM. They have airport pickup (we are flying into FLL) and there is a Publix literally right next door. We stayed there in 2007 and had no complaints. Not fancy by no means but served us well for our pre-night stay. We have scheduled QLS shuttle to pick us up at 10 AM the next morning from the hotel for transfer to POM.

We've stayed at the Sleep Inn too, and it worked well for us. Be sure to sign up for a time for the morning shuttle to the ship.

If you are coming in late, be sure to check how late the hotel shuttle runs, as some do not run after 11 or 12. Taxi fares are reasonable, though.

We have booked the Alahambra Beach Resort for three days before our cruise in November (3021 Alhambra Street • Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304). I know that it is about a four minute walk from Beach Place. I'm wondering if there is any place nearby where we can buy beer and wine to take back to our hotel room? Also, which places to eat would you recommend near there. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.:D

I live about five hours from FLL. With driving, paying for parking, etc, I'm thinking another plan may be cheaper.

Has anyone taken Amtrak into FLL? Based on arrival time I would have to come in the day before and grab a cheap motel room, but even taking this into account, it may end up being cheaper. I live less than 5 miles from the station here so I'm sure someone will take me or I can order a cab. The train going back leaves at about 1:20 on debarkation day. The Amtrak station, according to mapquest is less than ten miles from the port.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated! This is all about cost cutting and simplicity. The cost of the train ticket is roughly what it would run me in gas to drive down.

Edited by maxandmolly

We have booked the Alahambra Beach Resort for three days before our cruise in November (3021 Alhambra Street • Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304). I know that it is about a four minute walk from Beach Place. I'm wondering if there is any place nearby where we can buy beer and wine to take back to our hotel room? Also, which places to eat would you recommend near there. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.:D

The CVS at Beach Place sells beer and wine. It is about 2-3 blocks away. There might be a bigger selection at Plaza Liquors on Las Olas Blvd before the bridge. I would highly recommend Casablanca Cafe next to the hotel...they serve gourmet food in a historic home with a beach view, and the piano bar there is fun (how great is that?!?). If you want fine dining, Steak 954 in the W and Via Luna in the Ritz Carlton are good. In Beach Place, Lulu's Bait Shack has good casual seafood. Sonic just opened there too and of course there is a Hooters. Just past there is H2O which is good. There are a bunch of cafes after that, mostly not too good. Casa Del Mar and Spazio have had some good reviews but I tried them both and have not had good experiences. Keep going and on the west side (across the street) of the Courtyard Marriott is Coconuts, highly recommended, on a marina. If you keep walking, you will find Bahia Cabana. It's super casual, on a marina. The food isn't special but the fried fish is always good and it's just a fun place to go. On weekends they have bands or DJ at dinnertime. This is over a mile from the hotel but it's a nice area for a stroll.

Royal, have you ever been to the Oasis? I liked their ribs, coleslaw and fries platter. Was just wondering what you thought of the place. Bob:)

I ate at Oasis once for lunch. I don't eat ribs so I didn't try them. Food and service was ok but nothing special. It actually took me a few years to go because I had a friend who worked there and she said it was very mediocre. I recommend it for people who are looking for a family friendly place or a very casual place with an ocean view.

Edited by royalcruz

I live about five hours from FLL. With driving, paying for parking, etc, I'm thinking another plan may be cheaper.

Has anyone taken Amtrak into FLL? Based on arrival time I would have to come in the day before and grab a cheap motel room, but even taking this into account, it may end up being cheaper. I live less than 5 miles from the station here so I'm sure someone will take me or I can order a cab. The train going back leaves at about 1:20 on debarkation day. The Amtrak station, according to mapquest is less than ten miles from the port.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated! This is all about cost cutting and simplicity. The cost of the train ticket is roughly what it would run me in gas to drive down.

Expect to pay about $20-25 for a cab each way from Amtrak to the ship. I'm not sure which station you would stop at but this would be the approximate fare from Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood. On disembarkation day, find somewhere to go (with your luggage) after you leave the ship because the train stations are basic outdoor platforms. If you drive down, you will have to pay for parking. If you train down, you will have to pay for taxis and hotel. Personally, I can't ride in a car for more than 2-4 hrs without falling asleep, but if I could, I think I would drive for the convenience of it. If it is in the summer you can get great rates on park, stay, breakfast, and shuttle deals at hotels.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi Royal, I've been reading all of your terrific advice and suggestions and as someone said, you should write a book. My husband and I will be staying at the Renaissance for our October 2012 Oasis cruise. We are in our mid 60s and want to find a restaurant for dinner the night we arrive. What is in a short walking distance? Also, I don't think the Renaissance offers an airport shuttle. Should we get the Renaissance to make arrangements for one or should we just take a cab? Thanks much for helping us out.

Hello! We're thinking of catching either a Princess or Holland America Panama Canal cruise out of FT Lauderdale. I was wondering how easy embarkation is (isn't?) in Port Everglades? Also wondering, in general, if easy embarkation depends on the port authorities the cruise line or a bit of both? I've traveled out of the LA Port on Princess (slow, long lines, no chairs avail) and Seattle on Holland America (fairly quick, chairs, well organized) and am wondering what to expect in Ft Lauderdale/Port Everglades.

Expect to pay about $20-25 for a cab each way from Amtrak to the ship. I'm not sure which station you would stop at but this would be the approximate fare from Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood. On disembarkation day, find somewhere to go (with your luggage) after you leave the ship because the train stations are basic outdoor platforms. If you drive down, you will have to pay for parking. If you train down, you will have to pay for taxis and hotel. Personally, I can't ride in a car for more than 2-4 hrs without falling asleep, but if I could, I think I would drive for the convenience of it. If it is in the summer you can get great rates on park, stay, breakfast, and shuttle deals at hotels.

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it wouldn't be a simpler way to go after all. It's a 4 hour and change drive for me, I just don't like the idea of leaving my car in a strange lot for a week. All the stay n' park hotels I've found are quite out of my budget. I sail the Sunday after Thanksgiving. So, since I guess I'll be driving, where's the safest/cheapest parking?

We are looking for a hotel around 17th St area for Dec 1st one night including parking and hopefully shuttle for under 150.00 per night. Any suggestions? We have stayed at Embassy Suites but find it a little pricey this time being 200 per nite.

There was a small hotel just at the beginning of the bridge span on the South side we stayed at years ago, but cannot remember the name. It was definitely a chain hotel.

This is a very good thread with soooo much information it is hard to weed out, even though I did a search.

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

question--whats the most cost effective way to get a family of four OR a group of seven

to ft lauderdale airport after a cruise in ft lauderdalek

Hi Royal, I've been reading all of your terrific advice and suggestions and as someone said, you should write a book. My husband and I will be staying at the Renaissance for our October 2012 Oasis cruise. We are in our mid 60s and want to find a restaurant for dinner the night we arrive. What is in a short walking distance? Also, I don't think the Renaissance offers an airport shuttle. Should we get the Renaissance to make arrangements for one or should we just take a cab? Thanks much for helping us out.

From the Renaissance, these are a VERY short walk: Bravo, Bimini Boatyard, Market 17. They all have websites and are on the review sites, so you can look them up before you arrive. There is also a restaurant in the hotel but I haven't been there for yrs and I don't think it gets great reviews. From the airport, just get a taxi for $15. Have a great trip!

Hello! We're thinking of catching either a Princess or Holland America Panama Canal cruise out of FT Lauderdale. I was wondering how easy embarkation is (isn't?) in Port Everglades? Also wondering, in general, if easy embarkation depends on the port authorities the cruise line or a bit of both? I've traveled out of the LA Port on Princess (slow, long lines, no chairs avail) and Seattle on Holland America (fairly quick, chairs, well organized) and am wondering what to expect in Ft Lauderdale/Port Everglades.

I'm not sure what efficiency depends on, but slow lines do happen. We usually arrive just before noon and if we don't have priority we get in a slow line outside. We have rarely had to wait in a long line indoors for check-in in Fort Lauderdale. We don't usually have to sit down, as we go straight from the line to the check-in booths, to the ship. The exception is when the ship is under deep cleaning for noro virus. In that case they will check people in, but then they have to wait to board. Once we were unable to board until after 3 PM and we had to stand the whole time because the seats were all taken. I just sat on the floor. Usually, if you get there very early you can go in and sit down until they start calling people for boarding. However, I have heard of people having to stand outside in line before they opened the doors. If you have priority status, Princess embarkation is great, so loyalty pays.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it wouldn't be a simpler way to go after all. It's a 4 hour and change drive for me, I just don't like the idea of leaving my car in a strange lot for a week. All the stay n' park hotels I've found are quite out of my budget. I sail the Sunday after Thanksgiving. So, since I guess I'll be driving, where's the safest/cheapest parking?

I would suggest posting a new thread or doing a search to find parking options. Parking at the port is the most secure and is $15/night. No one can get into the port without showing ID and explaining what they are doing there so this is why it is the most secure. It's also the most convenient.

From the Renaissance, these are a VERY short walk: Bravo, Bimini Boatyard, Market 17. They all have websites and are on the review sites, so you can look them up before you arrive. There is also a restaurant in the hotel but I haven't been there for yrs and I don't think it gets great reviews. From the airport, just get a taxi for $15. Have a great trip!
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Your suggestions sound very interesting and very different. I have looked at their websites and Market 17 really peaks my interest and taste buds. Hmmmmm.....yummy!

We are looking for a hotel around 17th St area for Dec 1st one night including parking and hopefully shuttle for under 150.00 per night. Any suggestions? We have stayed at Embassy Suites but find it a little pricey this time being 200 per nite.

There was a small hotel just at the beginning of the bridge span on the South side we stayed at years ago, but cannot remember the name. It was definitely a chain hotel.

This is a very good thread with soooo much information it is hard to weed out, even though I did a search.

There is no longer a hotel by the bridge on the south side of 17th St. The lower cost chain hotels in the area are Holiday Inn Express, Extended Stay, and Hyatt Place north. I don't know if any of them have free cruise parking and I don't believe they have free cruise shuttles. Just call and see if they offer a package, and remember that it is only $10 each way per taxi to the port. You might also find a package through Renaissance or Crowne Plaza. Since you have a car, also look a little out of the 17th St. area for parking/shuttle packages at Fairfield, Homewood, Hampton, and Sleep Inn.

question--whats the most cost effective way to get a family of four OR a group of seven

to ft lauderdale airport after a cruise in ft lauderdalek

Taxis are usually the cheapest, as you can get at least 3 in a taxi for $15, or more if it is a taxi-van.

Taxis are usually the cheapest, as you can get at least 3 in a taxi for $15, or more if it is a taxi-van.

Thanks Royal Cruz,

Are they readily available at the pier or do we have to call and reserve one in advance before our trip?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tigers2425