Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are taking Amtrak into Ft. Lauderdale, and knowing Amtrak, we will probably arrive at least 3 hours late. I understand that there is a Taxi stand at or near the Amtrak station. Does anyone know if they are open 24 hours, or their name and phone number?

Thanks in advance......

There will likely be cabs there when the train gets there; If not you can call for one-

954-888-2222

954-777-7777

Amtrak station is about a $12-15 cab ride from the hotels mentioned a few posts earlier (off SE 17th Street).

ROYALCRUZ -- You have been so helpful to everyone!!

We are booked at the Comfort Suites on Federal Hwy in FL. Is there anything out that way? How's the hotel?

I think you should check reviews on tripadvisor for that hotel, as I've seen very mixed reviews there. The hotel is near Taco Bell, Burger King, Pollo Tropical, Ernie's restaurant, Denny's, CVS. The Holiday Inn Express convention center and Hyatt Place (check valuetrips for rates) are a few blocks closer to the port in a better location and have good pricing and better reviews.

I think you should check reviews on tripadvisor for that hotel, as I've seen very mixed reviews there. The hotel is near Taco Bell, Burger King, Pollo Tropical, Ernie's restaurant, Denny's, CVS. The Holiday Inn Express convention center and Hyatt Place (check valuetrips for rates) are a few blocks closer to the port in a better location and have good pricing and better reviews.

You are so good. Thanks for the info.

We are flying down the night before our cruise and staying with my cousin who lives in Sunrise.Then in the morning she is taking us to the port of Miami for our cruise.What restraunts would you suggest for dinner in Ft Lauderdale??? We love casual,not too expensive,by the water would be great,something that offers more then just seafood as we dont really care for it lol..........Thanks alot

We are flying down the night before our cruise and staying with my cousin who lives in Sunrise.Then in the morning she is taking us to the port of Miami for our cruise.What restraunts would you suggest for dinner in Ft Lauderdale??? We love casual,not too expensive,by the water would be great,something that offers more then just seafood as we dont really care for it lol..........Thanks alot

Shooters

Coconuts

H2O

Spazio

Houstons in Pompano Beach

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale for two nights before our cruise and are celebrating our 25th Anniversary. We aren't bringing the kids so are looking for an upscale/romantic hotel. The best part is that I have enough points to stay free at either the Marriott or Hyatt. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale for two nights before our cruise and are celebrating our 25th Anniversary. We aren't bringing the kids so are looking for an upscale/romantic hotel. The best part is that I have enough points to stay free at either the Marriott or Hyatt. Which would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Both properties are very nice and are upscale/romantic. The Marriott restaurant 3030 is more reknown food-wise, and they have a nice spa and are right on the beach. I think I would prefer the beach if I was on vacation and didn't get to the beach much. Pier 66 has a pretty marina setting. I would read tripadvisor to see if there is anything else specific that stands out for you.

Is there anyplace to purchase water and cans of soda right by the port before boarding in Fort Lauderdale?

The closest place is the Walgreens just across the street from the north port entrance (this is not the entrance closest to the airport, so you have to go about 2 miles out of the way if you are coming from there. If you are sailing Princess, it is very close to the pier).

Hi;

We are a family of 5 and will stay in FLL on Dec 31st, 2010.

Are the malls and shoppings still be open on New year Eve?

if yes, until what time?

How about restaurants?

I think the malls are open but close around 5 or 6 PM. Some restaurants will be open, but some have premium pricing on full course dinners and champagne. It is best to check with the restaurant individually in December to find out what they are offering.

RoyalCruz... you seem to be one whom has helped many, now a question from me.

We are driving dwon to port Everglades.

I saw a special of only $43 a night (senior rate) for the Comfort Suites in Deerfield Beach. I have had good luck with Comfort suites before but at $43, I am almost afraid of getting a awful place. But at that rate, I couuld afford to then park at the pier and not have to worry about shuttles or taxis.

The 22 mile ride to the port does not bother me, but have you heard anything about this hotel? Trip advisor seems ok,but agian $43 makes me think it has something wrong... or, a great deal.

Thanks in advance, bob

I saw a special of only $43 a night (senior rate) for the Comfort Suites in Deerfield Beach. I have had good luck with Comfort suites before but at $43, I am almost afraid of getting a awful place. But at that rate, I couuld afford to then park at the pier and not have to worry about shuttles or taxis.

The 22 mile ride to the port does not bother me, but have you heard anything about this hotel? Trip advisor seems ok,but agian $43 makes me think it has something wrong... or, a great deal.

Thanks in advance, bob

Deerfield has some not too great neighborhoods, but I think that this hotel is in an industrial park, so it might be ok. There is a Cracker Barrel on the other side of I95, but other than that I'm not too familiar with this neighborhood. If the Tripadvisor reviews are good it's probably fine. It's also really close to Boca Raton, which has good shopping and dining. The price is probably good because it's not a popular area that attracts a lot of people.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks royalcruz. We are going on the Oasis of the Seas. Do you know which port entrance they use? Or is there a store on the way to the port our taxi could stop at?

Oasis pier is right in the middle of the port so you would use either entrance. Normally coming from the airport you would use the south entrance, and you don't drive by any stores on the way. Just ask the driver to stop at Publix, CVS, or Walgreens on 17th St near the north entrance. I'm not sure if the extra couple of miles and waiting time and schlepping bottles is worth it unless it is going to save you more than $20. But plenty of people do it.

Deerfield has some not too great neighborhoods, but I think that this hotel is in an industrial park, so it might be ok. There is a Cracker Barrel on the other side of I95, but other than that I'm not too familiar with this neighborhood. If the Tripadvisor reviews are good it's probably fine. It's also really close to Boca Raton, which has good shopping and dining. The price is probably good because it's not a popular area that attracts a lot of people.

FYI-----

Just booked a Saturday night with up to 14 days complimentary parking at Marriott Spring Hill Suites near FLL airport for $99. That is cheaper than parking alone for a 7 night cruise....what a deal.

Thanks in advance, bob

FYI-----

Just booked a Saturday night with up to 14 days complimentary parking at Marriott Spring Hill Suites near FLL airport for $99. That is cheaper than parking alone for a 7 night cruise....what a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Cruz I appreciate all your knowledge of Fort Lauderdale and I have a question about the Comfort Inn at 2520 Stirling Rd. I am getting a little nervous about it and want your opinion. No one has written a review of this hotel on Trip Advisor. I am using it as a back up until I can get something on Priceline but for Feb. it is tough. All the rates have gone way up from what I got in Oct. The Extended Stay on 17th. St. has gotten good reviews. What can you tell me about the Comfort Inn.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help all of us.

Is there a limo/car service one can reserve in advance for pick-up at Port Everglades at a specified time? We will be leaving our car at the Hampton Inn in Plantation and would like to arrange transportation back to the hotel at an exact time. We've stayed at this Hampton several times (love the hotel) when cruising and although they will pick us up free the last time (this April) we had to wait 2 hours for the van to arrive. Since we have a 10 hour car ride ahead of us getting that late of a start is really difficult. There will be at least 4 of us, perhaps more.

Thanks in advance - I tried the search function but we all know how well that works.

I am sorry if this question has been asked already. So many threads to go thru. We are going on Grandeur out of Ft. Lauderdale next wk and taking a taxi from the airport to the port. We arrive at FLL at about 1015am and was wondering Where is the closest Publix or Winn-dixie is to stop at for water and juice? I know the ride is only about 5 mins. from the airport to the port. I am somewhat familiar with the area. I visit Dania Beach once a yr. Thanks in advance for the info. Awesome info already read :)

Royal Cruz I appreciate all your knowledge of Fort Lauderdale and I have a question about the Comfort Inn at 2520 Stirling Rd. I am getting a little nervous about it and want your opinion. No one has written a review of this hotel on Trip Advisor. I am using it as a back up until I can get something on Priceline but for Feb. it is tough. All the rates have gone way up from what I got in Oct. The Extended Stay on 17th. St. has gotten good reviews. What can you tell me about the Comfort Inn.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help all of us.

Here are the reviews for the Comfort Inn, very mixed:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34296-d84582-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Airport_Cruise_Port_South-Hollywood_Florida.html

It is walking distance to Oakwood Plaza for food and shopping. If you are going to be spending the day or evening in the neighborhood as opposed to just getting in late and sleeping, I much prefer the 17th St neighborhood for restaurants, wine store, easy access to beach/port.