Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Royalcruz,

I'm arriving at Fort Lauderdale on a Princess ship and will be flying out of Miami at 12.50pm. What is the best way to get from the port to the airport? Private shuttle, taxi, ship's transfer? I know that the driving time is around 1 hour, but with potential delays at the airport, I want to arrange the fastest, most reliable transfer!

Also is the process on arrival at Fort Lauderdale with customs and/or immigration a lengthy one?

Thanks!

Royalcruz...Interested in taxi fare from FLL to Port and then the return ride. I have heard numerous faults with not using meters, taking flat rates and/or taking the long way back. Can you provide a basic street course for the drive to and from and fare rate should be around 10-12 dollars plus tip. WAVTAM

The most direct way is definitely through the south port entrance at the end of I595, but that entrance has the longest lines which can increase fare due to time, so it might be about even. Personally, I would just let the driver go the way they prefer because it can't be more than $20 in the worst case scenario.

Royalcruz,

I'm arriving at Fort Lauderdale on a Princess ship and will be flying out of Miami at 12.50pm. What is the best way to get from the port to the airport? Private shuttle, taxi, ship's transfer? I know that the driving time is around 1 hour, but with potential delays at the airport, I want to arrange the fastest, most reliable transfer!

Also is the process on arrival at Fort Lauderdale with customs and/or immigration a lengthy one?

Thanks!

Sorry, I can't help you with this one. I'm an American and I get private rides. I would suggest that you start your own thread for the most advice.

Edited by royalcruz

The 3 trips will cost less than $50 total per cab including tip, so figure $100 for 2 taxis. I don't know about limo costs.

Do they have many van taxi's? (so I wouldn't have to get two cabs)

If I rent a car, do you know the code for return at Port Everglades?

THANKS!!!!

I am planning to us PL to book a hotel in the Hollywood Beach area. I have read that the W Hotel and the Westin Dipomat are sister hotels and close to each other. We would like to stay right on the beach so which of the two hotels would be appropriate for that ?

The Westin that is right on the beach is the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood, but some people who got it on bidding sites have been placed at their sister hotel the Westin Diplomat Golf Resort instead, and they didn't know until they checked in. So I suggest that you do some research before using a discount site to book it.

There is no W hotel in Hollywood. The W in Fort Lauderdale is a block away from the Fort Lauderdale beach Westin. They are both across the street from the beach and are under 3 miles from the port. They aren't sister hotels other than that they are both Starwood and a block from each other.

Originally Posted by cruising kirby viewpost.gif

Royalcruz,

Thanks!

royalcruz:

Sorry, I can't help you with this one. I'm an American and I get private rides. I would suggest that you start your own thread for the most advice.

I can tell you that you have selected a good flight time that should allow you plenty of time unless something very unusual happens. You can do walk-off to allow even more time.

We are planning to take a ship sponsered tour from Miami to Fll after our cruise. They will drop us at the Fll airport but we are on a flight the next day.

I was wondering if you know of a hotel that provides pickup and return shuttle from the airport? If not, perhaps a decent but modest hotel for just one night that has shuttle to airport? Any help appreciated.

We are planning to take a ship sponsered tour from Miami to Fll after our cruise. They will drop us at the Fll airport but we are on a flight the next day.

I was wondering if you know of a hotel that provides pickup and return shuttle from the airport? If not, perhaps a decent but modest hotel for just one night that has shuttle to airport? Any help appreciated.

Hampton Inns (Plantation, Stirling Rd, and SW 12th Ave locations)

Sleep Inn Dania

Hyatt Place airport north, south, or Plantation

La Quinta near Sheridan St. in Hollywood

These are all walking distance to restaurants and provide free breakfast.

Hi,

I have read through pages and pages and can't find any comments for the Comfort Suites Airport/Cruiseport 1800 S.Federal Hwy. Some reviews on Trip Advisor are not good but kind of old, the ones on Expedia and Hotels.com are okay. Has anyone stayed here recently? Was it really that bad or okay for a one night stay before cruising out?

Please advise. Debi

Hi,

I have read through pages and pages and can't find any comments for the Comfort Suites Airport/Cruiseport 1800 S.Federal Hwy. Some reviews on Trip Advisor are not good but kind of old, the ones on Expedia and Hotels.com are okay. Has anyone stayed here recently? Was it really that bad or okay for a one night stay before cruising out?

Please advise. Debi

There are fast food restaurants, a CVS, and a Denny's on the block so it is convenient. Ernie's Barbeque and Anthony's Pizza are very close also. I can't tell you about the hotel itself but I remember reading those bad reviews on TripAdvisor.

Hi,

Please advise. Debi

Debi I had been booked there but canceled after reading the reviews and comments on CC. I am now at Extended Stay which had good reviews but of course paid more and no shuttle or bkft.

I started this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26155129#post26155129

but maybe this is a more appropriate place to figure out what hotel is on hotwire for 3 stars, with seven amenities (non smoking, shuttle, breakfast, fitness center, swimming, restaurant, business center, laundry) in the FLL Hollywood Airport area, $62 a night on Dec. 22nd and 100% approval by hotwire customers.

I have been checking hotwire for this date for a few weeks (drug my heels and missed the $59 for the Hyatt Place deal for the same night) and I don't recall seeing this listing until today!

Any ideas on the hotel?

We are arriving on Thanksgiving in FLL and don't sail out until Sat from POM. There are 6 of us, Wife and I and two teenage girls and 18 and 20 yo boys. They have never seen the beach before so we were looking at staying at the Embassy Suites in Deerfield Beach. I figure with 6 it is as cheap to rent our own car, and the breakfast alone will save me $60/day fri and sat.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a better plan than what I have come up with.....first family vacation, so pretty much a newbie at this. Thanks in advance!

We are arriving on Thanksgiving in FLL and don't sail out until Sat from POM. There are 6 of us, Wife and I and two teenage girls and 18 and 20 yo boys. They have never seen the beach before so we were looking at staying at the Embassy Suites in Deerfield Beach. I figure with 6 it is as cheap to rent our own car, and the breakfast alone will save me $60/day fri and sat.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a better plan than what I have come up with.....first family vacation, so pretty much a newbie at this. Thanks in advance!

That sounds like a great plan. I assume you'll be renting a van for 6 people and luggage, unless you plan on driving in shifts.:D. You won't be close to the airport or port but Deerfield beach is a nice area. Popular restaurants are the Cove and JB's on the Beach. There is a Duffy's on Federal Hwy in Deerfield Beach, which is an inexpensive family-friendly sports bar/grill. Boca Town Center is my favorite mall.

I started this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26155129#post26155129

but maybe this is a more appropriate place to figure out what hotel is on hotwire for 3 stars, with seven amenities (non smoking, shuttle, breakfast, fitness center, swimming, restaurant, business center, laundry) in the FLL Hollywood Airport area, $62 a night on Dec. 22nd and 100% approval by hotwire customers.

I have been checking hotwire for this date for a few weeks (drug my heels and missed the $59 for the Hyatt Place deal for the same night) and I don't recall seeing this listing until today!

Any ideas on the hotel?

This doesn't match anything on betterbidding. It's probably one of the newer hotels. Do a search here on CC because a few people have talked about this recently.

Thanks for the restaurant tips royalcruz. Is that a pretty good beach, or is there others that you would suggest?

I haven't been to the beach at the hotel, but I've been close and it is fine. Some people from Fort Lauderdale drive up to the beach at Deerfield because they prefer it. About a half mile north of the hotel is a little beach town where locals hang out on the beach and there are shops and restaurants. A Kilwin's recently opened there (great ice cream, fudge, and chocolates).

We are cruising on HAL departing 12/3/10, and would really appreciate some help choosing a hotel for the night before.

We have a Marriott free night credit that we can redeem at either the airport/port Springhill Suites or Fairfield Inn (it is only good for up to a category 4 property). There also may be a possibility that we can kick in some extra points and get the Airport Courtyard or Renaissance (both category 5). Can anyone help us with the pros and cons of these hotels and their locations?

Thanks very much in advance! :)

Kevin