tipping

sparkyrmc

what is the tipping protocol for the cabin steward.

Your cabin steward and waitstaff share the bulk of your daily auto-gratuity (I'm thinking roughtly 2/3rds; don't have the exact specifics) with the balance distributed to various and sundry. You may choose to tip extra should you believe your actual service warrants extra.

We rarely tip our steward anything extra but then again we don't ask anytiung from him except to change our towels and shampoo etc daily. We want no turndown service, we don't ask him/her for anything we like being left alone. I don't even want out beds made, we want the privacy and don't want to walk back in the room and bam someone is t here.

Due to this we rarely tip the steward anyting extra. We actually lowered one overly friendly stewards tip because he wouldn't leave us alone. We had a huge party on departure because it was our anniversary, he barged in took pictues with us (we didn't want to insult him by saying no). ON the first morning we left our standard note, we just need this and that and other then that there is no reason to worry about us. In others words we will call you if we need you. He kept bugging us so we complained and the burser let us lower his tip. He didn't even hand us an envelope at the end.

you have to feel our your guest, see if they want the attendion or not!! Our food service staff was well compensated and got huge tips. At our meals we enjoy being catered too but not in the privacy of our room.

We have taken three cruise on Cunard the last few years with our next cruise set for this December. We always tip the cabin steward and butler and dining room staff (we always have Queens Grill accommodations) as we don't believe the $13 per person suffices for the many staff who get a piece of the daily gratuity that is added to the bill automatically.

If you look at previous threads on this subject I have been widely criticized for my generous tipping but having worked as a waiter while in college I have been stiffed by enough folks to realize how important tipping is to the livelihood of service personnel. I often also give half the tip at the time of embarkation with the clear indication that if I receive great service there will be an additional tip at the end of the cruise. (Boy does this approach raise the ire of many of the cruise critic readers) My attitude is that my vacations are precious to me and if it costs a little more in tips to insure great service...so be it.

I always give a pretty decent tip (more or less depending on service), on the last day of the voyage. I suppose the problem with that is your stewart doesn't know this, and he/she thinks you are not going to tip them. However, I'm uncomfortable with constant tipping and prefer to give a large amount all at once at the end.

Room service I'll tip each time of course.

On our crossing in June, our cabin steward left an envelope prominently on the desk, with her name badge (or whatever you can call it) sitting on top of it. We did give her a tip, but my husband preferred to hand it directly to her. :rolleyes:

I generally tip extra at the end although I rarely ask for extra services. It's because of their attitude.

In June on the crossing home on the last evening the steward removed the binder which contains envelopes, notepaper, etc. and left an envelope with her name card on the desk. I have never had this happen before and I had decided even before this I would not be tipping extra because I didn't feel this steward had made any effort to make me feel welcome.

I generally tip extra at the end although I rarely ask for extra services. It's because of their attitude.

In June on the crossing home on the last evening the steward removed the binder which contains envelopes, notepaper, etc. and left an envelope with her name card on the desk. I have never had this happen before and I had decided even before this I would not be tipping extra because I didn't feel this steward had made any effort to make me feel welcome.

That just amazes me that a cabin steward would leave an envelope out for a tip. That's never happened to me before, and I've crossed quite a number of times.

I do feel they might seem a bit disappointed that I don't tip them right away (unless I'm imagining it), and then sometimes seem less friendly because they think I don't tip. If I know them of course, they know I tip at the end. And also, I think quite a few people do that, so it's not unusual.

Bobnat: Would you mind sharing how much you tip to the butler etc? I am trying to find out what would be appropriate given the premise that you are receiving excellent service. We will be in Queens Grill also. We would appreciate any help in this matter as we will on the QM2 on Labor Day. Thanks

Bobnat: Would you mind sharing how much you tip to the butler etc? I am trying to find out what would be appropriate given the premise that you are receiving excellent service. We will be in Queens Grill also. We would appreciate any help in this matter as we will on the QM2 on Labor Day. Thanks

$5/day per person for steward, butler, waiter and a little less for bus boy

also $50 per week for the maitre d'

You are generous. This is an observation, not a criticism. I disagree concerning the maître d'; the maître d' is a manager, an executive. You don't tip managers and executives; of course, if you get into enough trouble, you may have to bribe them.

ridiculous, why differentiate between people with different titles, a tip is an amount of money for good service and not proportionate to the title, role or amount of money they earn, i have no idea why i should tip the maitre d', what service has he given me, surely the most amount of money should go to the person who has spent the most time serving me.

Certainly your right to your opinion but why do you come across so angry? I was just responding to the question that was asked. You are right, it is not necessary to give any tip either before or after boarding but some of us do otherwise so please don't criticize us.

Are the poor waiters, stewards, barmen, Maitre'ds etc. expected to touch their forelocks and move away backward when dealing with you?

We are already paying an enforced daily tip amount regardless of the level of service we receive. For that I expect excellent service, as I do before payng any tip, so why would I want to give more? Or am I missing the point somewhere?

This is exactly what Cunard say.

However there are those who feel that $13 or $11 dollars is not enough. It is a matter of opinion only.

Neither is "wrong".

I dont mind tipping as we usually get very good service. What I do object to is being told who and what I will tip and having it put on my on board account. I always tell them to take it off and tip everyone myself, that way I know the people who have given me good service receive the tip.

Are the poor waiters, stewards, barmen, Maitre'ds etc. expected to touch their forelocks and move away backward when dealing with you?

Why the sarcasm?

I would imagine that they would be moving forwards very fast to be around bobnatt.:D

If he wants to tip more- that's up to him as long as he doesn't expect any extras- that's fine.

At Christmas or birthdays, when you receive presents their value may vary according to the giver's circumstances but hopefully the sentiment is the same.

Archived