Getting off at ports for persons w/handicapps

maxydu

I will be spending Thanksgiving week on the Carnival Valor. After reading threads on this site as well as others, I fear the thought of trying to get off the ship at the different ports. I wear a leg brace for foot drop and must utilize a cane for balance. I'm only interested in getting off safely as opposed to gaining an advantage. I'd rather be healthy and on line with everyone else, but that is not the case. So, does anyone know of anyone who has dealt with this issue? :oThank you.

If you're docked, just don't try to be the 1st off...there will be a crowd. Give it a while, and you can go without fear.

If you're tendered...the same thing applies....the 1st couple of tenders are crammed....if you can wait, wait! Then, there will be ample time for them to help you without feeling "rushed".

My sister had plenty of assistance; she is a stroke survivor. I was especially concerned about the tenders, but they lifted her on and off, and carried her wheelchair up and down the stairs when necessary. I was impressed with the care she received!

I forgot to mention, because my sister's gait is slow as a result of the stroke, she was allowed to enter the dining room a few minutes early and make her way to our table (It was all the way in the back of the dining room) She was more comfortable being seated when everyone else rushed in, and was able to come to dinner without her wheelchair.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm still pretty new to this disability thing. I hate to ask for special help. Now that I am disabled I've been amazed at how disrespectful people can be. There are lots of good people out there, but there are plenty who are all about "me". I've been pushed down from behind at football games and knocked over by people trying to get into the movie theatre. I just want to make it from my room to the door to exit at each stop without getting hurt.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm still pretty new to this disability thing. I hate to ask for special help. Now that I am disabled I've been amazed at how disrespectful people can be. There are lots of good people out there, but there are plenty who are all about "me". I've been pushed down from behind at football games and knocked over by people trying to get into the movie theatre. I just want to make it from my room to the door to exit at each stop without getting hurt.

:eek: !!!

I wish it wasn't so easy to believe how awful people can be. It's sad.

I understand about not wanting to ask for anything, but please do it when it makes sense for you. It would be a terrible thing to look back on the cruise later thinking, dammit, I should have asked ... and then maybe I could have ...

speak up for yourself. make sure you get to enjoy the things you are looking forward to, and keep in mind that the crew is very interested in making sure every passenger enjoys themselves. Let them help you.

And if you run into any problems getting onto an elevator, please assert yourself. "I have been waiting a long time, could anyone step out to allow me access to another floor? I would really appreciate it." Yes, guilt them if you must. It's nicer than a 2x4, easier to carry, and could go a long way toward reminding people that they share the world with others and that they don't always deserve to go first.

I hope you have a fabulous cruise!!!

I forgot to mention, because my sister's gait is slow as a result of the stroke, she was allowed to enter the dining room a few minutes early and make her way to our table (It was all the way in the back of the dining room) She was more comfortable being seated when everyone else rushed in, and was able to come to dinner without her wheelchair.

When I was on any of the Atlantis Events chartered cruises, they would let me & my rollator into the dining room ahead of everyone else so I could get to my table without being run over by other diners, then one of the wait staff would take my walker & put it off to the side where it wouldn't be tripped over. It certainly was a help.

Archived