A few questions from a first time cruiser

hungryhippo

I am a first time cruiser and have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer:)

How much money should I look at saving for things like alcohol, souveneirs and anything that may come up that I wouldnt usually plan for?

Is it better to pre-book tours or explore the islands without a tour group?

And just anything else people might want to add.

Thank you very much!:D

I am a first time cruiser and have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer:)

How much money should I look at saving for things like alcohol, souveneirs and anything that may come up that I wouldnt usually plan for?

Hi ,

Wghat ship ,how long and where are you going.spending money and tours will be easier to advise when we know those answers.

Col:)

Hi hungryhippo

Welcome to CC (cute user name :)).

How exciting that your first cruise is on the Jewel (I am going in Feb).

In answer to your question because everyone is different but having just come of the PAcific Dawn the alcohol prices ranged from $5 - $8 for beer & $7 - $11 for cocktails.

Tipping - automatically added yo your account at $10 per adult per day.

Shore tours - P&O will send you a list of shore tours that you can book.If there is one that interests you have a look on here using the seach option to see if you can do it any cheaper (most people list this information in their reviews). If you can't find what you are looking for just post the question here and someone should be able to answer it for you.

What ports are you going to?

Yes that makes sense:p

I am going on the Pacific Jewel in January 2010 for 10 nights. I am going to Nomea, Ouvea, Vila and Wala.

Thank you :-)

Hi ,

Thats better .On a 10 night cruise going to those ports we would normally allow 150.00 per day.....however we have been on quiet a few cruises and have visited those ports on many occassions so we would not spend a lot on tours and souveniers etc.Vila is really good for duty free alcohol....1.75 litres bourbon 19.00 .

It depends on tours but being 1st timers have a look at the ships prices .If its only 2 travelling i would tend to use the ships tours ,however if there is a few it would be safe to negoiate a price at the wharf with the locals....try to seek info on this site as to what price you think is reasonable for a tour you might have in mind.Just remember the locals like to make money ...and what sounds like a bargin to you could be over priced .in vila the cascades are nice .we were there in may and 4 of us hired a local to take us around and it cost 10.00 each for 2 hrs tour.

Any further help please just ask ...this is a great site for info for 1st timers to seasoned cruisers.

cheers

Col:)

Kiwi Cruiser - there are two of us going.

Brossy - haha - user name is a random name a friend said when I asked what it should be - very random!. The ports I am going to Noumea, Ouvea, Vila and Wala

Thanks everyone for the information! It is most helpful. I have been trawling the pages CC most days since I booked the cruise. I can see it becoming an addiction :p

What are the age groups usually like that go on the cruise's? I am guessing it is quite varied? My friend and I are both 20 so were hoping there will be people of around the same age to 'hang out' with..

Hi Hungry hippo,

We are also first time travellers, leaving- not soon enough- Isn't this the best site for information and tips, I am learning so much and it is keeping the excitement level topped up for me- Enjoy your cruise:D

Baker 65 - I have to wait until uni is over then Christmas and new years, but I dont think I have stopped talking about this cruise for a few weeks ha :D

Havent been on a trip since schoolies in 2006 so this is a much needed cruise. I think people are already sick of me talking about it:p

Archived