Price of Rome Hotels

CLEMM

What would be considered an average price of a hotel in Rome for October? I would like to be within walking distance of the major sites ( Pantheon, Trevi etc.) I want to book but truly don't know what a good price would be. I don't want a luxury suite but I don't want a dump either, and I just don't know what price range the middle should be. When I research hotels I'm not sure if I am getting a good value or not.

I don't know that it's possible to give a good average. Hotel prices in Rome vary considerably by location, number of stars, type of room, date required, etc.

Unlike the US, hotels often have several grades of rooms available. So instead of just a "double" you may find yourself having to choose between a standard double, deluxe double, superior double, etc. Generally categories that say "deluxe" or "superior" offer either more square footage (and be aware that hotel rooms are generally very small in Europe), or sometimes a better location or view.

I suggest you determine a reasonable price range for yourself, do some research on venere.com and triadvisor, then perhaps once you narrow down your choices you can post here for additional advice and feedback. Decide what's most important to you: location? price? services and facilities offered? peace and quiet? acessibility to transportation?

I'll just add that, especially if this is your first time in Europe, hotels are very different than the "standard hotels" here in the U.S. Most European hotels are small by comparison. And most do not have a big fancy lobby/reception area; most don't have a hotel restaurant, gym or concierge; rooms are considerably smaller and most don't have US style power outlet plugs; some don't have elevators, etc. etc. So do not ASSUME anything when it comes to a hotel.

As Cynthia suggested, you should first decide what you need in a hotel, what is most important to you and what your budget is. A clean, quiet room is obviously something everyone wants, but beyond that, you will basically pay for everything else. As with hotels anywhere in the world, you will usually pay more for a good location. So consider your needs and what you will trade-off for what within your budget.

cruisemom42,

When you search use http://www.hotelscomparison.com/

You will be amazed at the savings you can make just by booking a a different website.

Interesting site; I gave it a quick try with one of my favorite hotels -- interestingly, I got 4 quotes and they were all for exactly the same amount. I will play around with it further. Tripadvisor has a similar feature that lets you compare quotes for a particular hotel. Sometimes I've seen big differences in price.

By the way, I've often found that you get the best rate by contacting the hotel directly.

One final caveat about hotel rooms: If you go online and book a dirt cheap rate for a good hotel (e.g., Priceline, Hotwire), you are apt to find yourself stuck in the back, a higher floor (with no lift), a smaller room, or one with other less desirable features. It's not always true, but it happens.

Sometimes the hotel will offer you a better option if you complain (nicely) and if they have something available. But don't expect to get a junior suite for the price of a plain double.

Archived