Should we take the trolley or not?

tk22

We are booked on Carnival Conquest Eastern route next year and porting in Key West. I have read a lot about Duval Street, Kino Sandals store and Southern-most tip of the United States sign and wonder if we need to book the trolley. How close to the ship dock are these and would be doing extensive walking to do this on our own? :rolleyes:

We are booked on Carnival Conquest Eastern route next year and porting in Key West. I have read a lot about Duval Street, Kino Sandals store and Southern-most tip of the United States sign and wonder if we need to book the trolley. How close to the ship dock are these and would be doing extensive walking to do this on our own? :rolleyes:

You wouldn't have to "book" the trolley...you could leave it until you get into KeyWest if you're not quite sure what you want to do....you can buy your tickets right at their stand which is very close to the pier

Including walking off the docks the Southernmost Point is approx 1.5 miles away, 16 blocks beginning with Front Street and ending with South Street. You walk directly up Whitehead and pass the Audubon House on the left, the Hemingway house on the left, and the lighthouse and museum on the right side of Whitehead.

Kino Sandals...

http://www.kinosandals.com/

...is on Fitzpatrick, so before or after your walk, look for Wall Street, off Front, and then Fitzpatrick for the store. Wall Street is on the non-business side of El Meson de Pepe.

Pjk

• 4 months later...

Could someone please be so kind to confirm that we could easily walk around Key West and visit all the stops and sites that the trolley will take us? We are very active (working out 4-5 times a week) - walking is a great way to burn off some of the great food that we'll be eating on the ship ;).

Could someone please be so kind to confirm that we could easily walk around Key West and visit all the stops and sites that the trolley will take us? We are very active (working out 4-5 times a week) - walking is a great way to burn off some of the great food that we'll be eating on the ship ;).

Absolutely do the walking. In my opinion the trolley takes too much time for persons here on a first visit with all the stopping, boarding etc.

If you want a quick (90min) overview of the island take the Conch Tour Train instead (same company, just no on and off stops) and then walk specifically to the sites that interest you most.

You will have no trouble walking in Key West.

Mike:)

The only thing you will miss by not taking the trolley is seeing Higgs Beach, Smathers Beach, the East and West Martello Towers, the White Street pier. These are nice to see but you generally will not walk over there as it's about 4 - 4.5 miles away from the docks. You could walk to Higgs in about 30 minutes to see the beach and the White Street pier and the West Martello tower and gardens. I do a slow 2 hour loop out there from 1 Duval Street most mornings in Key West. It's nice and I have breakfast on the way back - Banana Cafe, Bagatelle, Rooftop Cafe.

Pjk

First time to Key West.

I was going to take the on/off trolley to be educated about the area but now I am considering the Conch Train. I like the freedom of the on/off feature but I don't want to be stuck on a trolley all day if everything is in walking distance.

Does anyone know if I initially take the on/off trolley for 1 FULL loop and DON'T get off how long it is?

Then I can get off where I want (after the first full loop) but still have the freedom to jump back on when I want to move along.

Is the Conch the same tour with just no stops?

I need some opinions from people that have done both/either tour...pros/cons.

Thanks in advance, this website rocks!!

First time to Key West.

I was going to take the on/off trolley to be educated about the area but now I am considering the Conch Train. I like the freedom of the on/off feature but I don't want to be stuck on a trolley all day if everything is in walking distance.

Does anyone know if I initially take the on/off trolley for 1 FULL loop and DON'T get off how long it is?

One time around should take approximately 90 minutes.

Then I can get off where I want (after the first full loop) but still have the freedom to jump back on when I want to move along.

As far as I know, you can only go around once and you get off/on as you go. It's very easy to just plan your stops in advance.

Is the Conch the same tour with just no stops?

No, the train stays strictly in Old Town whereas the trolley covers the entire island. Some people think it's not worth it to go around the island, but I disagree. It is a beautiful drive along Smathers Beach, plus you get to see how the island has evolved our the years as transition from Old Town to New Town.

I need some opinions from people that have done both/either tour...pros/cons.

I have done both and think the trolley gives you more, even if you don't get out anywhere. The first five stops on the trolley are all within 10 or so blocks of each other, so it would be very easy to do that at the end and walk around. Make sure you go to Kermit's to get some frozen Key Lime Pie on a stick dipped in chocolate, yummy!

Thanks in advance, this website rocks!!

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

According to the web site, you can get on and off the trolley as many times as you want.

It appears that another major difference is that the Conch train is open, the trolley has glass windows. That means a plus for the Conch train if you want to take pictures, a plus for the trolley if it is cold or raining.

We are taking your advice, though, based on where the two go and plan on taking the trolley instead of the Conch train.

My sister and I are also debating this. We will be on the Century in March. Century is only in Key West from 7-130pm. We are thinking about walking to the Southernmost point early while it is still cool and then taking in one of the attractions (i.e. Hemingway House). If you have the trolley tickets, can you start the trolley tour at any point?

My sister and I are also debating this. We will be on the Century in March. Century is only in Key West from 7-130pm. We are thinking about walking to the Southernmost point early while it is still cool and then taking in one of the attractions (i.e. Hemingway House). If you have the trolley tickets, can you start the trolley tour at any point?

If you purchase tickets through the ship NO, but if you purchase tickets on your own, yes you can start at any point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did the Trolley last year. It was our second time to Key West and wanted to see something other than the bars on Duvall *L* I think the cost is $27 on their website. Got off at a quite a few stops....was really nice. We weren't there most of the day, and we were still able to see all the sights, have lunch & drinks at Sloppy Joes and drinks at Irish Kevins and drinks at.......

If I purchase the trolley tickets on line can we get on the trolley right away at any of the stops or do we have to go to one main stop? If so where is it?

You will board on Front St very near where you will disembark and they leave continuously about every 20 min or so usually.

Mike:)

Not considering the cost, would it be better to take the trolley/conch train or rent a scooter? Would it be easy to park a scooter at most of the places you would get off of the trolley and are most of the tourist places easy to find(maybe I could follow the trolley on the scooter:D)?

Not considering the cost, would it be better to take the trolley/conch train or rent a scooter? Would it be easy to park a scooter at most of the places you would get off of the trolley and are most of the tourist places easy to find(maybe I could follow the trolley on the scooter:D)?

IMO always better to take the trolley or the train than to rent a scooter. With the former two you will have things pointed out to you and will not have to worry about hitting something as you sight-see from a scooter. And I think it would be easier to just get off at a particular trolley stop than to worry about parking a scooter and worrying about whether it will be there when you get back.

The deal with the trolley is that they make stops where you can easily walk to and see several things. IIRC #5 is the Bahama Village, lighthouse, Hemingway House, and a few other things, and maybe Blue Heaven for lunch. #9 is Higgs Beach with the White Street pier, west Martello tower and botanical garden, and maybe Salud for lunch. You can see alot of Key west from the various trolley stops but you have to do some homework to know when to get off.

hth

Pjk

Archived