Should we take the trolley or not?

tk22

Not considering the cost, would it be better to take the trolley/conch train or rent a scooter? Would it be easy to park a scooter at most of the places you would get off of the trolley and are most of the tourist places easy to find(maybe I could follow the trolley on the scooter:D)?

I did a lot of reading and weighing the pros and cons of renting a scooter. The scooter was costing us 99.00 for 4 hours. (we are in port with 3 ships so by noon it will be super crowded) parking will be the hardest-

So with that in mind I did not want to waste time looking for a spot to park.

Taking the trolley (not the conch train since we cant get off that) the trolley will cost us about 60 bucks total. And we can use it at our leisure.

Super that is exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

What are the must see spots that we should not miss? We are planning on shopping some and eating lunch...of course some key lime pie :)

Hemingway House is a cool tour and right across the street is the lighthouse with a great view from the top. For a quick lunch, try a sandwich at Lobos off of Duval near Southard. Got to Kermit's for Key Lime Pie (Elizabeth & Green Sts.) and you might even get to meet him, he's a great guy.

We just did the Old Town Trolley tour and I had bought the tickets on-line. We were docked at the Westin. You walk along the boardwalk to the left as you face the stores and hotel. Once you turn right past the Red Brick historic building you will finally come to a corner. Turn left; the Conch Train stops here. Keep walking aroung the little street to the left. The Trolley Tour desk is just after the Aquarium, the souvenir shop in the corner. The Trolley tour starts here. The trolley worked out great for us as it is enclosed; it rained all day in Key West. This is something I didn't see mentioned in your thread but is very very important plus the ability to get on and off at your leisure.

Key sights are the Southernmost point and the Oldest House, the lighthouse, the Hemingway House and the summer Whitehouse. Because of the rain and we had walked the Duval and Whitehead streets many years ago to see these historic attractions, we stayed on the trolley for the entire tour without getting soaked.

Kino's Sandals is on Fitzpatrick Street not far from the Hog's Breath Saloon and the Key Lime Factory Store.

First time to Key West.

I was going to take the on/off trolley to be educated about the area but now I am considering the Conch Train. I like the freedom of the on/off feature but I don't want to be stuck on a trolley all day if everything is in walking distance.

You need to be in good to great shape to walk from the ship, down Duval to the Southernmost point, stopping along the way to climb the Lighthouse, discovering the Summer Whitehouse and Hemingway house and many stops along the way. It can be done. Don't forget the humid weather or rainy weather could dampen your energy level. The Trolley allowed for a continuous or Hop On Hop Off experience of much more points of interest as mentioned old and new Key West which we had never seen before. Again, weather could also be a huge factor in your touring plans.

Does anyone know if I initially take the on/off trolley for 1 FULL loop and DON'T get off how long it is?

We got on the Trolley about 10AM and finally got off back at the Mallory Square starting point about Noon - thus allow about 2 hours.

Then I can get off where I want (after the first full loop) but still have the freedom to jump back on when I want to move along. Yes most definetly. Very few got off as it was raining so hard. Trolleys leave about every 15 minutes. The longest you will be at any one stop is at the #1 Depot stop in Mallory Square for 15 minutes.

Is the Conch the same tour with just no stops? NO; it is shorter and wide open. I am so glad we chose the Trolley instead. I got great pictures of the Conch Train though. It is an icon of Key West! The price is the same and they are owned by the same company.

I need some opinions from people that have done both/either tour...pros/cons.

Thanks in advance, this website rocks!!

See response included in your original questions. I would conserve yoru energy, listen to a great historian tour guide and enjoy your initial time in Key West. Then get off and walk where you would like to go for refreshments or tour historic sites.

Archived