Brooklyn embarkation

judeg

Will be sailing on Caribbean Princess out of Brooklyn soon, after staying in Manhattan for a night- can anyone clarify the earliest time they let you board the ship please? Princess say not before one o'clock, and preferably after two, but I've read other blogs that suggest it can be a lot earlier, which we'd prefer.

Is it about a 25 minute taxi ride from Manhattan on a Saturday? And would I be advised to book a taxi ($45 + tips by the look of it) or just hail one down at the hotel when we're ready?

a yellow taxi should be in the $30-35 plus toll(5.50) and tip range from Midtown to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal in Red hook and as you suggest on a Saturday Am it should take no more than an 1/2 hour.

But cabs have trouble with the directions- have them with you.

From the West side of Manhattan they are

go to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel(toll). Take the first exit Hamilton Avenue just past the tolls. Make two quick lefts(yes you just made a U-turn) go straight ahead to Van Brunt street make a left and the first right into the cruise terminal... There are signs that you should follow

from the East side

FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge( no toll).

Go straight ahead(don't follow the signs-they take you a longer way) 7 or 8 lights to

Atlantic Avenue make a right(there is a sign you should follow)

go under the highway and make a left

make the first right(its at the third light)

follow that around it becomes Van Brunt Street

make a right at Bowne Street into the terminal.

Personally I like the view from the Brooklyn Bridge but from the West side the BBT is shorter...but not much on a Saturday morning.

We have gotten there as early as 11:30 AM, and 2 PM latest. We didn't board til around noontime the first time and still had a shorter line at 2 Pm the next time.

Thanks for that, we shall go when we're ready then- sounds like its pretty well organised.

a yellow taxi should be in the $30-35 plus toll(5.50) and tip range from Midtown to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal in Red hook and as you suggest on a Saturday Am it should take no more than an 1/2 hour.

But cabs have trouble with the directions- have them with you.

From the West side of Manhattan they are

go to the Brooklyn Battery tunnel(toll). Take the first exit Hamilton Avenue just past the tolls. Make two quick lefts(yes you just made a U-turn) go straight ahead to Van Brunt street make a left and the first right into the cruise terminal... There are signs that you should follow

from the East side

FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge( no toll).

Go straight ahead(don't follow the signs-they take you a longer way) 7 or 8 lights to

Atlantic Avenue make a right(there is a sign you should follow)

go under the highway and make a left

make the first right(its at the third light)

follow that around it becomes Van Brunt Street

make a right at Bowne Street into the terminal.

Personally I like the view from the Brooklyn Bridge but from the West side the BBT is shorter...but not much on a Saturday morning.

Wow thanks for all that- are you a travel agent? Well you should be!!!

Will definately go the Bridge way if possible to get that view! If you're a local than have you any views on The Empire Diner as a good place for breakfast? Or any recommendations around 45th street? Thanks in advance!

Wow thanks for all that- are you a travel agent? Well you should be!!!

Will definately go the Bridge way if possible to get that view! If you're a local than have you any views on The Empire Diner as a good place for breakfast? Or any recommendations around 45th street? Thanks in advance!

Empire diner very touristy but ok nice view-.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/empire-diner-new-york

I honestly haven't eaten there in years....

Try the Edison Hotels restaurant....boy that is old NY.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/default.aspx?pg=restaurants&rp=restaurants

the one on the left is where to eat breakfast....and I think its cash only but it won't be that expensive

Empire diner very touristy but ok nice view-.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/empire-diner-new-york

I honestly haven't eaten there in years....

Try the Edison Hotels restaurant....boy that is old NY.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/default.aspx?pg=restaurants&rp=restaurants

the one on the left is where to eat breakfast....and I think its cash only but it won't be that expensive

Many thanks, think we may give the Edison a go, as its closer to our hotel and time is tight- if we mention your name will we get a discount?!!!!!! Sounds like it'll be a taste of real NY! Literally!!

Can I ask another question please?! No time to do Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island properly, so is the Staten Island Ferry worth a try, or do we get close enough to it on sailaway from Brooklyn anyway?

Many thanks, think we may give the Edison a go, as its closer to our hotel and time is tight- if we mention your name will we get a discount?!!!!!! Sounds like it'll be a taste of real NY! Literally!!

Can I ask another question please?! No time to do Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island properly, so is the Staten Island Ferry worth a try, or do we get close enough to it on sailaway from Brooklyn anyway?

Yes the Staten Island Ferry ride is worthwhile and gets much closer than the sailaway. I don't know if they will give you a discount but a glass of water is free....I assume you know that the Staten Island ferry is free...

Yes the Staten Island Ferry ride is worthwhile and gets much closer than the sailaway. I don't know if they will give you a discount but a glass of water is free....I assume you know that the Staten Island ferry is free...

Thanks this is great, you're like my own personal tour guide!! And now you've guessed why we were interested in the Ferry- save money where you can I always say- it means there's more available for cocktails on the cruise !!!

Any further hints and recommendations gladly received, and if you ever come to England I'll reciprocate!!

We arrive at 10:30. There are plenty of seats to people watch and we are one of the first onboard..Enjoy! CB is a great ship. :D

Wow now that IS keen!!! Getting excited now having heard sooooo many good things about the ship and the ports- bring it on!! Oh and as an obviously experienced Brooklyn port cruiser what is it like to get a taxi on the final day back to JFK? No transfers included with our package and expect the Princess one is on the pricey side?!! Not that we're cheapskates or anything!!

If I could jump in here and ask a quick question: I'm cruising out of the Manhattan terminal in September on Carnival Triumph. We're driving from Pennsylvania, coming across Rt. 80 into New Jersey. Are the directions on the Carnival Website the best to follow?

Thanks for any help

I don't know what Carnival's directions are, but if they are telling you to take the George Washington Bridge to the southbound Henry Hudson Parkway (aka West Side Highway), that is the best route. The highway ends right at the entrance to the cruise ship terminal.

However...there are times when the GW can be horribly backed up. It's advisable to listen to traffic reports on 880 WCBS or 1010 WINS. If the GW is jammed a short diversion to the Lincoln Tunnel could save a lot of time.

I don't know what Carnival's directions are, but if they are telling you to take the George Washington Bridge to the southbound Henry Hudson Parkway (aka West Side Highway), that is the best route. The highway ends right at the entrance to the cruise ship terminal.

However...there are times when the GW can be horribly backed up. It's advisable to listen to traffic reports on 880 WCBS or 1010 WINS. If the GW is jammed a short diversion to the Lincoln Tunnel could save a lot of time.

This is what the Carnival website suggests:

spacer.gif

DIRECTIONS TO THE PORT:

Traveling from outside of New York City

• New Jersey Turnpike North/South
  • Take Lincoln Tunnel to New York City and follow signs to West 42nd Street
  • Turn left on to West 42nd Street
  • Turn right on to 12th Avenue (West Side Highway)
  • Turn left at 55th Street and proceed up the ramp to the terminal
  • Proceed to Pier #88/90/92

If I could jump in here and ask a quick question: I'm cruising out of the Manhattan terminal in September on Carnival Triumph. We're driving from Pennsylvania, coming across Rt. 80 into New Jersey. Are the directions on the Carnival Website the best to follow?

Thanks for any help

the exact directions are I80 to I95 to the George Washington Bridge(either level) to the Henry Hudson parkway south- as the parkway ends you exit to the right into the cruise terminal.

what the Carnival site says is the absolutely worst way to go.

The other way is through the Lincoln Tunnel...its a little shorter but many more turns.

I80 to route 46 to route 3 to 495 to the Lincoln tunnel when you get out of the tunnel stay to your left and head uptown to 59th street make a left on 59th street under the highway and then another left into the cruise termianl...

the GWB is easier but a little longer(about 10 miles).

This is what the Carnival website suggests:

spacer.gif

DIRECTIONS TO THE PORT:

Traveling from outside of New York City

• New Jersey Turnpike North/South
  • Take Lincoln Tunnel to New York City and follow signs to West 42nd Street
  • Turn left on to West 42nd Street
  • Turn right on to 12th Avenue (West Side Highway)
  • Turn left at 55th Street and proceed up the ramp to the terminal
  • Proceed to Pier #88/90/92

That would be the alternate I suggested if the GW bridge had a traffic jam.

For someone coming in from PA on I-80 the best route is to "follow your nose" to the GW Bridge, exit the bridge for the southbound Henry Hudson Parkway, which ends right at the entrance to the pier.

Archived