CCL leaves family over medical issue

jleq

Am I silly for thinking that CCL was just in not taking on someone who may not be fit for travel. I work for an airline and we have a medlink service that advises as to when a customer is fit for travel. they could be a liability. Therefore, should not travel, as to not cost CCL $$ if something unfathomable should happen.

Another thing that some have missed in the article is the bleeding was not coming from her heart. It was from her leg which would not be as serious as if it were coming from around her chest area. It is my understanding that sometimes those leg incisions are hard to get healed up so that is probably not unusual.

"a small incision was made in her leg to go through her femoral artery."

Not just any old incision.

If she's already under the care of a physician who gave her a treatment plan, why is Carnival's medical staff involved at all? Her physician was right. If she's followed his advice, she wouldn't be in this situation. But ... for some reason, most likely a decision on *HER PART* ... Carnival's medical staff got involved. I mean, it's not like the ship's doc goes around looking for people who are bleeding on deck to forcibly treat.

Grand Cayman is part of the British Commonwealth, with a well-established judicial system. It's not a banana republic. Though they wouldn't get the sort of recompense they would in an American court (and our free-for-all torts laws), some recourse can be had.

====

You have a real good point here.

How did the CCL medical staff get involved, she obviously had a concern and reported it.

Its called CYI---the ship Md is not going to make the determination that she didnt need medical attention/observation and put himself and the ship at risk of a lawasuit.

I do feel for the family being put off the ship though.. Insurance or not, pre-existing, especially recent procedure they likely wouldnt cover it.

Why do people think this is a lesson about buying insurance? If this was a scheduled procedure, which it may or may not have been, then buying insurance would have only increased the costs of this family.

Pre-Existing Conditions

Under Section I and under the Accident and Sickness Medical Expense coverage in Part B of Section II, no payment can be made for any expenses incurred as a result of Injury, Sickness, or other condition affecting You, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family member booked to travel with You which, within the 60-day period before Your protection plan purchase: a) first manifested itself or had symptoms which would prompt a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care, or treatment; b)required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine was taken remained controlled without any change in the required prescription; or c) required treatment or treatment was recommended by a Physician

Do you think that this exclusion would not have been applied if the insurance company could find a way out of the claim? If this was a pre-existing condition at the time the insurance was purchased then there would be $0 paid to the family.

I feel bad for the cruisers as they never ever thought this could happen to them. None of us ever do until after it has. ;) If only they had bought insurance. They'd still be upset and angry but their expenses would have been paid which would have made the whole thing a whole lot less painful.

Why do people think this is a lesson about buying insurance? If this was a scheduled procedure, which it may or may not have been, then buying insurance would have only increased the costs of this family.

Do you think that this exclusion would not have been applied if the insurance company could find a way out of the claim? If this was a pre-existing condition at the time the insurance was purchased then there would be $0 paid to the family.

[/font]

I imagine the argument would whether complications from surgery to correct a pre-existing condition constitutes a pre-existing condition. A question best left to lawyers I would think.

In the past I've never seen a post that said "I went to the ships doctor and everything was great service and wonderful outcome". (except for getting some motion sickness pills for free). We'll hear about great food, MDR, etc. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone praise the ship's doctor.

After 3 days in the sun....hubby developed a fever of 102 after HMC....we went to the infirmary....after several tests, the doctor informed hubby that he was dehydrated.....we had to find Gatorade, instead we found Vitawater....

My only complaint was that the infirmary did not have Gatorade, in which I will write to Carnival....I am also including kudos about the doctor who was a lovely gentleman....

[/font]

Yes, this is a perfect example of why people need to purchase insurance and need to understand what they are purchasing and under what conditions the insurance will pay and will not pay. And understand as this family has found out, that if they do not purchase insurance and something does go wrong they will be paying the cost out of their own pocket. If that is what they chose to do thats fine, but it was their choice to not purchase insurance and unfortunately the unexpected happens much more frequently then those that choose to not purchase insurance often realize.

If the family had purchased their insurance within the time limit allowed for companies that do have a pre-exisiting condition clause to be excluded then be it a pre-exisiting condition or not they would have been covered and that would not be a concern. Yes, insurance is a cost factor in cruising and the reason many choose not to purchase it. Many of us purchase insurance not because we wouldnt rather spend money on insurance dollars as there's many other places I'd rather spend those dollars but because we know that even though we have been lucky enough to never have used it a single need could very quickly repay us much more than we will ever pay out in preminums and that is the reason we choose to bet on the side that at some point we will be very happy we have choosen to purchase insurance.

I do feel bad for this family over the circumstance that they were not allowed to reboard and continue their cruise BUT it was their choice not to purchase insurance and while I'm sure they would still be very angry they would be feeling that way with much more money still in their pockets then they are now that the cost falls upon their shoulders when insurance would have picked that cost up had they had insurance that would have covered their expenses.

Several have commented on "why get the ship dr involved?" There may have been no choice. Others may have made that call for them. Depending on what level of bleeding, it can be disconcerting.

Recently my dh was being dismissed from hospital after a heart catheter performed through his femoral artery. As he was walking around the room with his discharge papers he began bleeding from the site. This was an extremely heavy flow of blood running down his leg and leaving puddles on the floor everywhere he stepped as he got back in bed. I was thankful we were still in hospital.

haha I read this thread yesterday and immediately started looking into insurance for my upcoming cruise... then my occasionally, twisted cynical mind thought "What if this story is a plant and "they" did it to induce people purchase travel insurance" "They" being the travel industry... I'm sure it isn't the case but... things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmm :D

I have this scenario in my mind. The OP stops in ANY Doc-in-a-box office in the US, with FEMORAL ARTERY bleeding. The Box Doc says "Ice IT!" And the OP says, "OK, Sure."

And that assumes that the media report was 100% accurate. A ridiculous assumption!

what i want to know is why her personal doctor said she was fine when he wasnt there to see the bleeding area. NO MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL SHOULD EVER GIVE MEDICAL ADVICE OVER THE PHONE. Thats just bad practice and could set them up for a law suit. It has been 24 hours or more since he had seen her. A lot can change. and for bleeding... ice isnt the answer.. How about direct pressure!

I agree that they should have purchased insurance. Even if you never use it there is piece of mind there in case you ever do need it.

This is probably not reported correctly either... Usually the catheter is placed in the femoral vein, internal jugular vein, or subclavian vein... NOT arteries.

If it was an artery then there would be a lot of pressure coming from them as they are the vessels that pump from the heart. Veins return blood to the heart and work with back pressure and valves. Dont get me wrong, they can bleed a lot too. I have a feeling we dont even know a quarter of this story.

I had an idea about the "I keep you in the hospital for weeks" comment...

The doctor may have been telling the couple that if he had been the one to perform the surgery, he would have insisted she stay hospitalized for longer, and not have let her travel so soon after a procedure.

The fact that the doctor was "quoted" using this stereotypical Jamaican pronunciation tells me that the couple either couldn't really understand what he said, or that they doubted his capabilities as a doctor because his English was not what they would hear from their own doctor. At the very least, it is written to present the reader with the image of a less-than articulate doctor, meant to lead the reader to believe that he couldn't possibly be medically competent to render a decision as to the well-being of the woman.

That same thought had actually crossed my mind too.

Illinoisgal

I followed your advice and have emailed Jamie, the reporter. This station is one of my local stations so I will see if he says anything.

And Disney Debbie I agree that if it really has been a few weeks why is it bleeding. A very good point.

It was bleeding because she was picking at it.:p:p:p:p

This is probably not reported correctly either... Usually the catheter is placed in the femoral vein, internal jugular vein, or subclavian vein... NOT arteries.

If it was an artery then there would be a lot of pressure coming from them as they are the vessels that pump from the heart. Veins return blood to the heart and work with back pressure and valves. Dont get me wrong, they can bleed a lot too. I have a feeling we dont even know a quarter of this story.

U R right.

big_duck,

I guess I'm the one that missed something. I was thinking there was an actual incision like they do for heart bypass surgery. Not as large but a small one. I know now what it is. I have had a heart cath several times. Thanks! I feel dumb!

I dont know that we have heard the whole story as well.

I was also removed from the ship when I became very ill on a cruise.(Princess not Carnival)

The ship Dr will be the first to tell you that the ship is just not equipped to handle most serious medical emergenceis, no scanners, ect, to get a good diagnosis and the best thing to do is get you off of the ship and to a hospital.

Yes, you do feel like you are being pushed off the ship... The porters pack your bags in record time, purser charges your credit card and the nurse wheels you off that ship as soon as you hit the dock!! It is initally very scary to be left in a foreign port so I understand the passangers feelings.

But thier are port agents in every single stop and one is assigned to you right away to help you through any issues. I am going to guess Carnival is no different from Princess in that a cruise rep on land also watches everything going on and helps make arrangements as needed. The cruiseline, although you are not longer on the ship, does not leave you high and dry, trust me, I know this from first hand expereince and makes me think that this article left out some very important facts after being taken off the ship. Our cruise rep made arrangements to get us over the border once released from the hosptial, made hotel and flight arrangements, everything.... We had no travel insurance and we were charged just thier cost for all these things. She did not stop checking up on us until I was home. Actually, the last phone call I got from her I was back home in my living room.

As a fan of Carnival and someone who recommends buying insurance I think Carnival's in the wrong here.

The purpose of insurance is not to protect against arbitrary and irrational decisions made by ship doctors.

I'm wondering if Carnival's actions would've differed had insurance been purchased.

As a fan of Carnival and someone who recommends buying insurance I think Carnival's in the wrong here.

The purpose of insurance is not to protect against arbitrary and irrational decisions made by ship doctors.

I'm wondering if Carnival's actions would've differed had insurance been purchased.

1. I'm not sure how the ship's doctor's decision was arbitrary and irrational.

2. I'd like to know your reasoning on the your statement about Carnival's actions differing, because frankly the logic behind that statement eludes me.

Read the passenger contract...specifically the information about medical care onboard. They have NO facilities for handling this type of emergency.....

To suggest that Carnival would change their policy if the person had insurance .... or somehow put these folks off the ship because they didn't is just plain silly.

In any case, any time anyone is treated by the onboard physician, if there isn't any insurance, the total is billed to the onboard account.

Don't be ridiculous. Carnival wouldn't jeopardize anyone's life unnecessarily or intentionally.

The article states that she had the procedure a few weeks before the cruise. If it was not an planned procedure, she wouldn't have anticipated needing insurance. By that time, it was probably too late to purchase medical insurance anyway. So, that doesn't sound like an option.

Archived