Supper Club and Multiple Entrees?

sylvasta

Hey all!

We have never done the supper club before, and this will be our 4th Carnival cruise. We hear it's a definite must do, I have never heard one bad thing about it.

Here's my question-DH LOVES to order multiple entrees at dinner (loves to try everything-and he doesn't waste the food, trust me! :D)

Can he do that at the Supper Club? He would love to be able to order lobster AND steak, but he was under the impression he couldn't, which is why he never wants to eat there, LOL.

What say you all? TIA! :cool:

Hey all!

We have never done the supper club before, and this will be our 4th Carnival cruise. We hear it's a definite must do, I have never heard one bad thing about it.

Here's my question-DH LOVES to order multiple entrees at dinner (loves to try everything-and he doesn't waste the food, trust me! :D)

Can he do that at the Supper Club? He would love to be able to order lobster AND steak, but he was under the impression he couldn't, which is why he never wants to eat there, LOL.

No, only one entree for dinner in the Supper Club (now called Steakhouse). They do have a combo steak/lobster.

Hey all!

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want). Not to put down your choice, but people must be making this choice or they wouldn't have the option available. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it all . . .

Granted, last time I cruised there was no "pay extra" dining option - it was just the main dining room for fancy food options. Yes, many years ago. So maybe food has gone really downhill in the last 8 years? If so, I'm going to be very disappointed come November.

Hey all!

Not multiple entrees - but you can have 2 apps instead of an app and a salad.

1 entree will be plenty - plus you must save room for dessert!!!

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want). Not to put down your choice, but people must be making this choice or they wouldn't have the option available. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it all . . .

Granted, last time I cruised there was no "pay extra" dining option - it was just the main dining room for fancy food options. Yes, many years ago. So maybe food has gone really downhill in the last 8 years? If so, I'm going to be very disappointed come November.

Wow, did you take a left turn into on-coming traffic, why is it you are ready to pitch a fit over food going bad because they have a premium food option and you can't get multiple dinners for free... If you don't want to go to the Steakhouse than don't. MDR has not changed...

You don't HAVE to go ... the MDR is perfectly fine - but the speacialty dining is "special". I love it - and love fine dining so I say WHY NOT?

Not multiple entrees - but you can have 2 apps instead of an app and a salad.

1 entree will be plenty - plus you must save room for dessert!!!

Glad that changed. On Freedom I was only able to have an appetizer OR salad. Not that I really needed it.

Wow, did you take a left turn into on-coming traffic, why is it you are ready to pitch a fit over food going bad because they have a premium food option and you can't get multiple dinners for free... If you don't want to go to the Steakhouse than don't. MDR has not changed...

I had a feeling I was going to get jumped on for my question. I'm sorry, question withdrawn. I was really just looking for additional information, I haven't cruised in 8 years, I don't know what's changed, this is a whole new way of eating, it costs extra, and people still seem to recommend it, and I can't figure out why. I thought these boards were here to get new information from those who know more than me, so I was looking for someone to tell me why. I'm not cheap, but I remember really liking the MDR, and wouldn't want to miss it (and pay extra for the privilege).

FWIW, I don't generally order two entrees unless I really hate the one I chose. I'm also not much of a steak eater unless it's really good, so there is a really good chance (expensive or not) I wouldn't like the steak. So I'd be unlikely to order it no matter what.

I guess the answer is - and I may never know why - some folks choose to do this, and it's probably just not for me. But no need to chastise me, I'll go away quiet.

I had a feeling I was going to get jumped on for my question. I'm sorry, question withdrawn. I was really just looking for additional information, I haven't cruised in 8 years, I don't know what's changed, this is a whole new way of eating, it costs extra, and people still seem to recommend it, and I can't figure out why. I thought these boards were here to get new information from those who know more than me, so I was looking for someone to tell me why. I'm not cheap, but I remember really liking the MDR, and wouldn't want to miss it (and pay extra for the privilege).

FWIW, I don't generally order two entrees unless I really hate the one I chose. I'm also not much of a steak eater unless it's really good, so there is a really good chance (expensive or not) I wouldn't like the steak. So I'd be unlikely to order it no matter what.

I guess the answer is - and I may never know why - some folks choose to do this, and it's probably just not for me. But no need to chastise me, I'll go away quiet.

LOL...thats OK. Hey nothing ventured nothing gained (in terms of questions anyway). Sorry for jumping out at you. RCCL charges for steak in the MDR now. The MDR experience has not down graded at all IMHO. The Steakhouse is not for everyone....as is the MDR anymore (peope just eating on the LIDO deck). As well as anytime dining. Enjoy your cruise....:D

Actually, YES, you can order another entree, but it will cost you an additional $30.

There is a "surf and turf" option on the menu.

Your husband could not EAT two entrees with all the courses. I was so full, I had to skip breakfast the next morning.

I'm not concerned about the entrees... I'm worried about trying to decide between a sweet dessert and cheese. I LOOOOOOOVE sweets, but I love artisan cheeses, too. I'm hoping I can talk my husband into ordering the cheese so I can still have my sweets and try his too. :)

I'm not concerned about the entrees... I'm worried about trying to decide between a sweet dessert and cheese. I LOOOOOOOVE sweets, but I love artisan cheeses, too. I'm hoping I can talk my husband into ordering the cheese so I can still have my sweets and try his too. :)

The desserts are OUTSTANDING!!!!!

One meal at the Steakhouse is enough! My step-dad (and the rest of us) have actually been asked to leave all-you-can-eat places because he eats too much and they give give you your money back (it's really embarrassing!) and the Steakhouse meal was enough for him. Before anyone gets all up in a twist about obesity my step day is 6 feet 2 and only weighs 180 pounds.

I too stand with LADYEVEL.........The money I bring along is hard earned......If I have prepaid for meals, then that what I'll eat. If I had the option to pay... say.... 15.00 for a dinner in the MDR, or 30.00 in the specialty rest. , I might opt for that a night or two,but to pay twice for a meal makes no sense to me!

In fact, We will probably forego the MDR altogather and eat in the buffet.......really hate lugging all those extra clothes along

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want). Not to put down your choice, but people must be making this choice or they wouldn't have the option available. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it all . . ..

You have obviously never eaten in the Supper Club (now Steakhouse). :D The food, presentation, service and ambiance is WELL worth the small fee. It's not that the food in the dining room is bad, it's just that the Supper Club is an experience all in itself. Don't knock it until you try it.

There was a review not too long ago that asked to have the cheese as an appetizer - he did state that the server had to ask but his wish was granted! (I will try to find it for you)

You can then have both!

LadyEvel - don't go away! Sometimes the tone of a post seems attacking - but most often I find it is not - it is hard to judge - most people would love to answer your questions

There was a review not too long ago that asked to have the cheese as an appetizer - he did state that the server had to ask but his wish was granted! (I will try to find it for you)

You can then have both!

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! Choosing between chocolate and cheese is difficult enough under normal circumstances. But while pregnant and on a cruise... that would be virtually impossible. :p

Ladyevel,

You don't have to go away, a question is a question and all should be fairly answered.

The Steakhouse is just an option, no one is forced to participate. A lot of people enjoy it, us included. It is a step up from the MDR and if you eat steak you would enjoy it, the meat is prime and the seafood is excellent too. I always have the Dover Sole. Some use the Steakhouse as a time for a romantic dinner just the two of them,nice and quiet, others for their own reasons.

As for the money part that is subjective, some would rather spend their money on excursions, gambling, shopping, etc and some want the dining experience, each to their own. A lot of foodies cruise too.

There is really nothing for you to understand other than it is someone else's decision based on their preference.

You will enjoy the MDR, don't worry and enjoy your cruise.:)

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! Choosing between chocolate and cheese is difficult enough under normal circumstances. But while pregnant and on a cruise... that would be virtually impossible. :p

Here it is - post #21 gives a great description and then he goes BACK again on Friday because it was sooooooo good!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1031227&highlight=glory&page=2

Archived