Berry Tarte

OurCruiseToAlaska82709#5375161105784503202

And the famous chocolate dessert.

Oops. Pictures don't seem to be working. Try these links, in order:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Djerrid/OurCruiseToAlaska82709#5375161092950742898

http://picasaweb.google.com/Djerrid/OurCruiseToAlaska82709#5375161100511678626

http://picasaweb.google.com/Djerrid/OurCruiseToAlaska82709#5375161102231359058

http://picasaweb.google.com/Djerrid/OurCruiseToAlaska82709#5375161105784503202

That chocolate is ONE desert! WOW....I'm guessing that is not available in the MDR...LOL

You would guess correctly!

I think the supper club is such a treat! It's perfect for a cruise. We have really nice restaurants where we live, but don't go much because they are sooooo expensive.

It's really a bargain to go to one for $30 a head!

This next cruise, I am going to get there early and sit at the bar for a drink or a glass of wine. And, I think we will take a break from dinner at some point and get on the dance floor for a slow dance!

I hope they have live music. I'll have to check on that.

so if the live music is gone...does that mean no dancing? :(

because i liked that idea...i'm not looking for a disco dance...just a nice waltz or something.....dh & i can dance to anything.

i think we might try the steakhouse.

and as far as Ruth Chris' and outback...either are fine...dh grills a mean steak too! :D

i'm just not a fancy smancy person...i don't want to have to worry about "proper ettiquite"....i mean, i certainly have common sense and manners...but i would hate to do something wrong lol.

OK - I've gotten most of the way thru the 83 posts & I think I may be the first to say, "We went & wouldn't go again." Went to David's on the Pride a week or so ago. No live music & the muzac could hardly be heard. Dance floor but no one on it. Not dancing music played (think it was more Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton type CD...which was fine with me - just not what I'd get up to dance to in the restaurant...beside you could hardly hear it so you'd appear that you were dancing to music in your head - lol. They had a piano, would have really added to atmosphere to have someone playing it). There was almost no one in the restaurant the night we went except 3-4 other tables having guests, spread out over a 2 floor restaurant. It was awesome climbing the glass staircase - looking down into the lobby as you went - to go to the restaurant (unless you took elevator directly there). To use the glass stairs you started up it at the buffet area, which sort of had the fine dining experience lose something. The staff was very nice. The presentation of food was excellent. As far as your concern about needing correct fork, not an issue. Same utensil set-up as in dining room & no one really noticed you too much. No hovering near your table.

As far as being stuffed....my husband hit the ice cream machine as soon as we left. That could be because the desserts just didn't do it for us. Had the surf & turf, filled me but was certainly able to finish it without problem. Creamed spinich good but it was about 2 TBLS. if that. Same with the garlic mashed my husband ordered as his side. I had the lobster bisque....good but not exceptional. Definately had better at some seafood restaurants near home. The salad with bleu cheese dressing good but I didn't eat it all because I expected to be so overwhelmed with the portion of food. I later was sorry I didn't ask for it to be left to eat with my dinner. In case you are picturing this big lady with a huge stomach to fill....I wear a size 6.

Our waitress in the regular dining room on the Pride (Martina) was so exceptional I really felt like I missed out on not having her serve us the night we were gone. Not only was she wonderfully attentive, she constantly had a beautiful smile, warm personality & joked with us each night. David's was more elegant in presentation of food & atmosphere (dim lighting, candles on table...elec. I believe). I'm glad I tried it since I kept thinking I was missing something, but in the end felt like, "OK - did it & I really wasn't missing all that much." I went on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas last year & enjoyed their fee-restaurant better (of course it was a Murder Mystery show & the dinner included free flowing wine so that may have made a difference - lol).

okay ... you got some 'splainin to do :eek: ;)

You missed the J/K on the bottom of the post. We were having our own bathrobe party on the lido one night. We had a blast all by ourselves.:p Not really by ourselves there were about 25 of us.

You missed the J/K on the bottom of the post. We were having our own bathrobe party on the lido one night. We had a blast all by ourselves.:p Not really by ourselves there were about 25 of us.

I've always loved a good bathrobe party!!!!

I was getting ready for you to be burned to a crisp for the lapse in dress code :D

Those pics are awesome!!

I do hope the Valor has piano music...that would be great.

I do get what folks are saying. I'm a pretty plane eating. Not meat and potato, more like Subway sandwiches...LOL. But I really enjoy "venturing out" now and again. I LOVE escargot. But I only get it when cruising.

LadyEval, really just try it once, you will really understand. It's like a gourmet experience without the stiff prices. If you enjoy really good food you will NOT be disappointed, I promise!!

The lamb is to DIE for, but there are other choices, awesome 24 oz porterhouse that even my husband "the meat muncher" can't finish. The flight of chocolate desert mmmmmm, I would go and just eat the Lobster bisque, it's delightful but it does ruin you for the MDR lobster bisque.

That said, the food in the dining room is great, we found the food (except the beef in the MDR to be better than Celebrity) we pay extra several times for the specialty because it really IS a superior experience, not only the food but the ambience.

Some people are not foodies, and if you're not you probably should skip it, but for us it's extremely worth it.

Have a great time no matter what you do!!

Oh and what kind of dogs do you rescue? I'm a dog fanatic!!!!

Carole

Actually, I'm a total foodie. I'm also pretty picky, so . . . I don't know - I generally save my extra food spending for shore experiences. We'll see, if I'm disappointed by the menu in MDR one day or I find I really don't like the food there now. I eat out rarely because I like to cook (and save for things like cruises), but I tend to eat local, oganic, and (I guess) fancy. I would probably love the steakhouse, but I'm still indignant about having to pay extra for good food.

I rescue and train all kinds of dogs, but specialize in the "difficult" breeds (pitbulls and rottweilers and mastiffs, oh my!). My dogs are both rottie mixes, one with akita, one with . . . something small and nervous. I'm a dog fanatic too, and would bring them on the cruise with me if I could. (Service rottweiler? Hmmmm.)

Thanks for all the info. Telling my BF all this has made him nervous of the MDR now if everyone says the food is so much better elsewhere. This is his first cruise (and he LOVES food, although not as picky as me), and I want him to enjoy it totally. Plus it's his birthday on embarkation day. We'll see. Thanks!

I'm sure Austin Texas has restaurants where a steak is $9.95. And others where a steak will run $15 to $25. And even some places where a steak will run well over $50. per person. Why is that?

Well that is why CCL has Steakhouses on many ships. EVERYBODY is not the same!

True. But I usually don't care for expensive steak any more than cheap steak - unless it is REALLY good (and when it's really good, I really love it). I'm always wary of expensive, but still lousy, steaks. If you do come to Austin, TX, may I recommend Eddie V's for steak or seafood. Neither the most expensive nor the cheapest in town, but generally pretty darned good with excellent service. (And if it's not really good, they'll take it back and try again.)

Actually, I'm a total foodie. I'm also pretty picky, so . . . I don't know - I generally save my extra food spending for shore experiences. We'll see, if I'm disappointed by the menu in MDR one day or I find I really don't like the food there now. I eat out rarely because I like to cook (and save for things like cruises), but I tend to eat local, oganic, and (I guess) fancy. I would probably love the steakhouse, but I'm still indignant about having to pay extra for good food.

I rescue and train all kinds of dogs, but specialize in the "difficult" breeds (pitbulls and rottweilers and mastiffs, oh my!). My dogs are both rottie mixes, one with akita, one with . . . something small and nervous. I'm a dog fanatic too, and would bring them on the cruise with me if I could. (Service rottweiler? Hmmmm.)

Thanks for all the info. Telling my BF all this has made him nervous of the MDR now if everyone says the food is so much better elsewhere. This is his first cruise (and he LOVES food, although not as picky as me), and I want him to enjoy it totally. Plus it's his birthday on embarkation day. We'll see. Thanks!

awwwwwwwwww tell your BF not to get upset, the food is great in the MDR........if you have a good server. I really think this is the key.

We've had GREAT food in the MDR and so so food in the MDR. Both times the so so food was served by less than excited servers, both seemed just NOT happy to be there. One was from Jamacia and the other from St Johns I think. Our Philipino servers and Indian servers have been my favorites hands down, just joyful and excellent at their jobs. When the food is served hot and fresh it's tons better. Sorry to make nationality an issue but "just stating the facts Ma'am ;)

I LOVE Rotties!!! I now have 2 elderly pugs and a young White German Shep, all of who I would absolutely take on a cruise, except they would HATE HATE HATE the moving ship......kinda set in their ways and spoiled.

Hope you have a great time, pop back and tell us what you thought of the Supper Club ok?

Cheers, Carole

This is what puzzles me - why pay extra money for food when perfectly good food comes with the price of admission, and you can try everything on the menu until you find something you like? So if I get this right, you pay extra money, have more restrictions, and this is good for some reason? Is it just a matter of being exclusive? I love the MDR, can't imagine paying extra for a steakhouse (which I can do at home anytime I want). Not to put down your choice, but people must be making this choice or they wouldn't have the option available. I've just been trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it all . . .

Granted, last time I cruised there was no "pay extra" dining option - it was just the main dining room for fancy food options. Yes, many years ago. So maybe food has gone really downhill in the last 8 years? If so, I'm going to be very disappointed come November.

i use to think the same way as you then my brother talked me into trying it and i can say that if you try it you will understand what everybody is talking about it is worth the 30 dollars . also we went in march on the miracle they let us order multiple appetizers but only one main entree we ordered 3 appetizers each (lobster bisque,shrimp coctail,crabcakes)

True. But I usually don't care for expensive steak any more than cheap steak - unless it is REALLY good (and when it's really good, I really love it). I'm always wary of expensive, but still lousy, steaks. If you do come to Austin, TX, may I recommend Eddie V's for steak or seafood. Neither the most expensive nor the cheapest in town, but generally pretty darned good with excellent service. (And if it's not really good, they'll take it back and try again.)

Carnival's steakhouse serves USDA Prime grade meat. That is the top grade of beef. ONLY the most expensive restaurants serve USDA PRIME. Some, and I was in one 2 nights ago where the menu said PRIME FILET and PRIME NY STRIP. Prices were about $25. for each. That is TOO CHEAP for USDA PRIME, so I asked the waitress if the meat was USDA PRIME. She admitted that it was their own rating and was NOT USDA PRIME. It is confusing but a restaurant or meat market can use the word prime but cannot use USDA PRIME unless it is inspected and stamped as such.

Once they start with top grade meat, the aging process they use, improves the meat.

Carnival's steakhouse serves USDA Prime grade meat. That is the top grade of beef. ONLY the most expensive restaurants serve USDA PRIME. Some, and I was in one 2 nights ago where the menu said PRIME FILET and PRIME NY STRIP. Prices were about $25. for each. That is TOO CHEAP for USDA PRIME, so I asked the waitress if the meat was USDA PRIME. She admitted that it was their own rating and was NOT USDA PRIME. It is confusing but a restaurant or meat market can use the word prime but cannot use USDA PRIME unless it is inspected and stamped as such.

Once they start with top grade meat, the aging process they use, improves the meat.

Yes, and that is exactly why I will be trying the Steakhouse on my next cruise. BC it is a great cut of meat plus everything else for $30. I am ordering the filet medium-rare with a side of crumbled blue cheese.

My bf insists I know about steak so that I never buy the wrong kind or order the wrong kind. haha.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Outback steaks. But a FABULOUS steak has nothing on Outback. haha.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Outback steaks. But a FABULOUS steak has nothing on Outback. haha.

That's right! Outback serves USDA choice beef. Used to be, all the supermarkets carried USDA choice, but now it is harder to find that grade. Some still carry it, while others advertise "Angus" beef - who the heck knows what that means. Was the steer named Angus, or something?

When we dine out, usually Outback is as high-end as we go. I have had steak in a prime establishment (think Morton's or Capital Grille) and definitely CAN tell the difference. I just can't justify the cost to eat there. On the ship, getting that quality of beef for $30 each is a BARGAIN!

We will definitely visit once a cruise, if the ship has a steakhouse. Last cruise on NCL, they had a 2 for 1 special on the first night, which we took advantage of.

Archived