Are Club Carnival age groups in the same big room or separated?

sprockie

I have a 3 and 8 year old that will be attending the kids club on the Liberty

Since they are in different age groups, I am wondering if they will at least see each other playing in the same big room, or are most activities totally separated. I think they would do much better if they can communicate a bit.

They will be in different spaces---no 8 year old would want to have anything to do with a bunch of 3 year olds...honestly! And the caliber of activities will be TOTALLY different! They will be fine...it's not like they'll be in there 24/7!

Sorry, CB, not necessarily. Every Carnival ship that we have ever been on (3 so far), the 2-5s and the 6-8's can see each other. They are divided, but barely. One ship had a net between them. One had a glass door. My kids were always able to see each other in the camps on Carnival, that is, until my oldest moved up to the 9-11s, THEN they were separated.

Excellent, thanks cruisinmama. I had no doubt they would be doing different things, but the room looks so big, I thought that might be the case. If they can wave or have a little chat when necessary, I am certain things will go much more smoothly.

They won't be in there for long periods, but it's the getting them to stay there initially is my concern. Both are a bit shy at first, until they get their feet wet, but then will be fine. The only time I would really like them to be there is over dinner 3 or 4 times so Dad and I can have a quiet dinner at a leisurely pace.

Our daughter will be a a few months under 2, however she always plays with the 2-5 yr olds here at home. How strict are they on the age policy at camp carnival?

VERY strict. To the point where a child can't enter Camp Carnival even if they are turning two ON the cruise until the day they turn 2. So if a child is celebrating a bday on a Wednesday and the cruise began that Monday, then they can't start camp until that Wednesday.

HOWEVER, they do have "babysitting for a fee" for "Under 2's" So at different times during the day (and after 10pm at night) you can pay to have them watch her in camp. She won't have to be 2.

My 3 and 4 year olds were in Camp Carnival on the Miracle but the 6-8 year olds were not even separated by a net (I don't think) but they were in a separate area of the same room. When one little bot started crying for his brother in the 6-8 year old group, the counselor simply walked around the wall and reappeared with his brother, who was allowed to sit with him. It certainly makes it easier for the kids to go into Camp Carnival when they are with someone they are familiar with.

I was just on the Fantasy and the age groups are completely separated for most of the activities. There is a main room for the 2-5, and one for the 6-8. They do share a craft area. However, the 9-11 group was homeless. They would sometimes meet in the disco, sometimes the conference room and once at Circle C (when the older kids were off doing something else.)

So: To the OP - unless someone who has been on the Liberty can confirm, your kids may not be able to communicate with each other while in Camp Carnival.

We are going on the Dream next year and will have a 5 1/2yoa and a 6 yoa who are best buddies cruising. We see Camp Carnival splits between 5 and 6. Do they make any execptions to this? We think this might be a problem for them and worse off us! So anyone know how strict they are on this?

cruisnmama,

Anyway you can e-mail me the camp carnival capers for the 6-8 and 9-11 yr olds? I can not print them off photobucket. dr28326@yahoo.com

Also, in your opinion...which has better kids area and activities...Spirit class or Conquest class for Carnival?

If its Pride verses Liberty or Freedom, then go with the newer and bigger ship.

I may have a few capers on my laptop (that I am on now) so I will see if I can send you a few pages. :)

Our daughter will be a a few months under 2, however she always plays with the 2-5 yr olds here at home. How strict are they on the age policy at camp carnival?

I second Michelle on that. My daughter was 2 months away from turning 2 and they would not let her enter (even at a non busy time of year). We would pay for her to go in late at night for a couple of hours, though.

C. Anne

We are going on the Dream next year and will have a 5 1/2yoa and a 6 yoa who are best buddies cruising. We see Camp Carnival splits between 5 and 6. Do they make any execptions to this? We think this might be a problem for them and worse off us! So anyone know how strict they are on this?

I would go with the complete understanding that CCL may, can and will enforce the strict age limits and the kids will be in separate groups. I have heard of several times on these boards where the older child was allowed to go down to the younger group - less that a younger was allowed to move up unless the birthday was just days or weeks away. But again, don't count on it.

I have not studied the Camp layout on the Dream, but on the Fantasy, Spirit and Conquest Class ships, the rooms for the 2-5 and 6-8 are adjoining. At certain times, like in the evening, particularly on the Conquest class, the kids will be combined to watch a movie; the screens in the middle between the too spaces, and the kids just lounge about together.

I have not studied the Camp layout on the Dream, but on the Fantasy, Spirit and Conquest Class ships, the rooms for the 2-5 and 6-8 are adjoining. At certain times, like in the evening, particularly on the Conquest class, the kids will be combined to watch a movie; the screens in the middle between the too spaces, and the kids just lounge about together.

I would like to say that on my Fantasy cruise a few weeks ago, the 2-5yos were never combined with the 6-8 in the evening. They did combine the 6-8 with the 9-11 one evening, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 5 yr old (nearly 6) and a 7 yr old (nearly 8) and I have to say, putting a 5 with the 2s is beyond stupid! I also have a 2 yr old and they are so far away from each other in skills, interests, etc, its not even funny. My two older kids play together, have similar physical skills, but a 2 yr old is not potty trained and has limited speech. Why on earth with Carnival be so uneducated about child development to separate it like that? Someone ought to go back to college!! LOL!!!

I dont think we will take part in Camp Carnival a whole lot if they put my kindergartener with my "ot even old enough for preschool" daughter and away from my 2nd grader! Geesh!

I will definitely speak with Carnival about it and at least voice my opinion...luckily for us, we have never used the kids program (ours were under 3 last time we cruised and until this upcoming cruise we have NEVER sailed anything but Celebrity) so we dont know what we're missing! :D

Lynne

Carnival Dream 01/16/10

On our first two cruises our youngest son was in the 2-5 group (4 the first year, 5 the second). Both times he really had very little interaction with the youngest kids - in fact, on the second cruise they divided the group into 2-3s and 4-5s, with separate counselors for each group. I've always been impressed with the counselors in that age group.

The only time I would really like them to be there is over dinner 3 or 4 times so Dad and I can have a quiet dinner at a leisurely pace.

I thought Camp closed down during dinner? I assumed I would need to take my kids to dinner with me...am I wrong?

I thought Camp closed down during dinner? I assumed I would need to take my kids to dinner with me...am I wrong?

There is dinner with Camp Carnival nightly (except the first night) at 6 p.m. Usually they block off one area in the buffet area for the kids. They'll list the menu in the Camp Carnival schedule.

Thanks Kathy, for your input. I read some of the things they offer for the 6-8 and I can already tell my nearly-6 is not going to like where he is at. He can already swim (duh--he's in kindergarten) and has been doing the Wii for well over a year. Luckily, we are mostly concerned about night time when its not as crucial...we will absolutely have them with us when we are in port. We have grandma & grandpa with us....so we have plenty of entertainers!!!

I did call Carnival and lodge a complaint...if we didnt have a 2 yr old we would have cancelled our cruise with Carnival & gone back to Celebrity (they even have in-room babysitting @ night) but with all the others (save Disney of course) they have to be 3 to take part in the camp, so I dont want her to miss out!

Will report back after we return from the Dream in January!

• 2 weeks later...

for under 2 year olds-- the camps are opened from noon til 2 for under 2 kids but parents gotta stay with them.

We took our 18 month GD here for some much needed play time to burn off energy before nap time.

Very rare do camps allow kids to go higher beyond age.. but it makes a difference on where you cruise and how many kids are onboard.

If going during a non-peak family sailing time a 5 year old can move up to the 6-8 program.

We sailed on the Carnival Glory last January. We had a 5 year old who was turning 6 a few weeks after the cruise. She was allowed into the older age group to be with her cousins. The staff said it was fine as long as she did ok. Basically, if she satrted acting like a 5 year old she would have to move back down. Of course she did fine!

Thanks Kathy, for your input. I read some of the things they offer for the 6-8 and I can already tell my nearly-6 is not going to like where he is at. He can already swim (duh--he's in kindergarten) and has been doing the Wii for well over a year. Luckily, we are mostly concerned about night time when its not as crucial...we will absolutely have them with us when we are in port. We have grandma & grandpa with us....so we have plenty of entertainers!!!

I did call Carnival and lodge a complaint...if we didnt have a 2 yr old we would have cancelled our cruise with Carnival & gone back to Celebrity (they even have in-room babysitting @ night) but with all the others (save Disney of course) they have to be 3 to take part in the camp, so I dont want her to miss out!

Will report back after we return from the Dream in January!

If you expecting anything close to a Celebrity cruise on a Carinival ship then you will need a miracle. Good luck to you. We'd love to know what you had to complain about since you haven't even cruised yet.

Archived