Santos - Brazil

sjpo

We arrive in Santos on Dec 18, early morning. It would be great to visit Santos, but with all the luggage it makes not much sense to do it independently I guess. We'll spend 2 nights in Sao Paulo before flying back to Europe on Dec 20.

My question: What is the best way to get to Sao Paulo (hotel not booked yet, but somewhere near Paulista Avenue I think) from our ship in Santos? We dont speak Spanish or so, only English and French... :rolleyes:

Still possible to negotiate a reasonable fare with a cab driver? Or take one of the busses?

Or eventually book a shore excursion for Santos, that ends at one of the airports and then take a bus "back" to the centre from there?

We arrive in Santos on Dec 18, early morning. It would be great to visit Santos, but with all the luggage it makes not much sense to do it independently I guess. We'll spend 2 nights in Sao Paulo before flying back to Europe on Dec 20.

My question: What is the best way to get to Sao Paulo (hotel not booked yet, but somewhere near Paulista Avenue I think) from our ship in Santos? We dont speak Spanish or so, only English and French... :rolleyes:

Still possible to negotiate a reasonable fare with a cab driver? Or take one of the busses?

Or eventually book a shore excursion for Santos, that ends at one of the airports and then take a bus "back" to the centre from there?

I always take a cab from the line at the left of the terminal. Fare to Avenida Paulista area is about US$ 100

Cab fare from Congonhas airport (domestic) to Avenida Paulista is about R$ 40/50 from Guarulhos (International) is R$ 100

PS In Brazil the language is Portuguese not Spanish! Some cab drivers understand English and Spanish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi sjpo

Thanks for your kinbd offer of info on Santos

I'm about to book a transatlantic from santos to the UK on the MSC orchestra. It will be an ovbernight flight from the UK to Sao Paolo. I have the option with MSC of going out a day earlier and they will put me up in a hotel in Santos (don't know where yet) but will be 4 star). There are the obvious advantages of flying out earlier - recovering from the overnight flight & jetlag for a start - but is there much to see and do in Santos? Also I'll be travelling solo, is it safe for a woman on her own to be wandering about santos & its beaches during the day? I can speak a little Portuguese but am not familiar with the Brazilian version.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated and help me decide whether just to fly stright out fro the start of the cruise or try to spend a few days there first

Hi sjpo

Thanks for your kinbd offer of info on Santos

I'm about to book a transatlantic from santos to the UK on the MSC orchestra. It will be an ovbernight flight from the UK to Sao Paolo. I have the option with MSC of going out a day earlier and they will put me up in a hotel in Santos (don't know where yet) but will be 4 star). There are the obvious advantages of flying out earlier - recovering from the overnight flight & jetlag for a start - but is there much to see and do in Santos? Also I'll be travelling solo, is it safe for a woman on her own to be wandering about santos & its beaches during the day? I can speak a little Portuguese but am not familiar with the Brazilian version.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated and help me decide whether just to fly stright out fro the start of the cruise or try to spend a few days there first

my suggestion is arrive in Santos one or two days earlier. Santos is a safe and friendly city and a paradise for retired people from São Paulo. The normal precautions however should be taken as in large cities.

The beach front is very beautiful with a4 km garden! Very good restaurants for sea food!

Don't be afraid with the language: most people in hotels and restaurants will understand you.

Wotan

Does anyone have experience or suggestions on how to get from GRU airport in Sao Paulo to meet the Vision of the Seas in Santos? If you have any contacts and or suggestions of travel agents/companies who provide this service, please indicate who they are and their website if possible. Does anyone have an idea of how long the trip will take and how much will it cost for 2 people?

I had previously asked about it, and there´s a 24 hours taxi booth in the airport which provides reliable transport to Santos. It doesn´t need to be booked in advance. I have asked and they kindly answered that fares were about 100 euros to the Port. I post their replay.

Boa tarde

Aeroporto de Guarulhos à Santos - R$ 248,46.

Aeroporto de Guarulhos à Santos - Ponta da Praia - R$ 266,27.

Atenciosamente

They are called GUARUCOOP

The locals in the forum, think it´s a good option. Isn´t it Brazilgirl?. Then there are private transfers which could reach astronomic prices, as 400 euros (asked by a company I had contacted).

• 4 weeks later...
If anybody needs any information on this specific South America port just ask as I know it quite well. Thanks

Hello. I have a couple of questions. I understand there are buses going from Guarulhos to Santos. How long do they take? What companies are they? Once in Santos, how far is the Cruise terminal from the Bus Stop? Can you walk or you have to take a cab? How long of a ride? Is there a minivan service or bus that would take you directly to the Port from the Airport? THANK you very much

Hello, may I ask are the buses reliable and which would be better to take. We are staying in the jardins area and would hope to catch a bus on the morning of monday 5th april. There are 3 of us. Thanks for the help.

I found it impossible to get a hotel room for 3 people in santos as we would have preferred to go there straight from our flight which lands on the evening of sunday 4th. Perhaps you could give me some suggestions?

Does anyone have experience or suggestions on how to get from GRU airport in Sao Paulo to meet the Vision of the Seas in Santos? If you have any contacts and or suggestions of travel agents/companies who provide this service, please indicate who they are and their website if possible. Does anyone have an idea of how long the trip will take and how much will it cost for 2 people?

For my upcoming cruise, I've booked a transfer directly with RCCL (well, via my travel agent who did it with RCCL). Since it's one way, GRU to Santos, the cost was only $22pp! I think the trip is at least an hour, maybe two. Good luck!

Hello, may I ask are the buses reliable and which would be better to take. We are staying in the jardins area and would hope to catch a bus on the morning of monday 5th april. There are 3 of us. Thanks for the help.

I found it impossible to get a hotel room for 3 people in santos as we would have preferred to go there straight from our flight which lands on the evening of sunday 4th. Perhaps you could give me some suggestions?

It is very cumbersome to go from your hotel in the Jardins area to the port in Santos. I recommend asking the hotel to help you get a taxi to take you directly to the port in Santos.

If you do decide to go by bus, you will have to do the following while carrying your luggage:

1. Walk from your hotel to the nearest Metro station.

2. Take the Metro to Jabaquara station, changing trains at Paraiso station. The bus station that serves the coast is at Jabaquara Metro station.

3. Take the bus to Santos.

4. When you get to the Santos bus station, take a taxi cab to the port's passenger terminal.

My friends favour going straight to santos after the flight. I managed to find a small hotel 'Ilfaro' Guarujá in which wil accommodate us. We arrive from Lisbon at 5.30pm and plan to take a bus from there. Is this feasible?

Thanks for the help so far.

• 2 months later...

We were in Santos on the Insignia in December. It is a huge port and all the cruise ships come into one terminal. There were 8 cruise ships loading passengers when we arrived. It took our guide about 30 minutes to find us but he is relentless and followed our ship from Rio down the coast meeting us at every port including Ilha Grande (an island) where he rented a boat for us for the day. Cruise ship excursions can be a real BUST! We always use private guides as they go where we want and take us to interesting places where can experience the local foods, scenery, and beautiful beaches........ SANTOS was great.... Rafa, our guide made it that way for us as we couldn't find anything to do. donrafainrio@yahoo.es is his email. We loved Brazil...... from Robi1

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the capable assistance you all have been providing! We arrive at 0500 into Santos on Feb. 15, 2011. We want to fly to Iguazu and I have several questions:

1. Both Congonhas and Guarulhos airports have flights to Iguazu. Is one airport much better than the other for this flight?
  2. Cost to go by bus from Santos to Congonhas?
  3. Departure/arrival time for bus to Congonhas?
  4. Cost to go by bus from Santos to Guarulhos?
  5. Departure/arrival time for bus to Guarulhos?
  6. Where do we catch the bus in Santos?
  7. Is there room for our baggage (reasonable amount)?:)

Thanks so much!

Bus to from Santos to Guarulhos/Congonhas:

Two possible choices:

1 - http://www.translitoral.com.br/noticia.asp?codigo=305&COD_MENU=110

Departures from Santos to both airports: 4h30 / 6h30 / 9h00 / 12h00 / 15h00 / 18h00.

Map to find the bus stop: http://www.translitoral.com.br/datafiles/images/materia/1143.jpg

2 – To Guarulhos only http://www.translitoral.com.br/datafiles/images/materia/1143.jpg

Several times according to the specific day: Price is about R$25,00 per person.

Expect 2h30 minutes from Santos to Guarulhos.

Unfortunately both are in Portuguese.

Guarulhos is the international airport and Congonhas is centrally located and more used to business trip. It will take about 1 hour from Guarulhos to Congonhas.

We are on the same cruise as Vegas Bob, but have a different question.

We are flying home the same night we depart Mariner, and have a lot of time to kill. Our flight leaves at 11:30pm (UGH).

RCCL has only one excursion posted. Maybe more will follow, it is still early. The one posted is a 9 hour bus tour to some uninteresting sites. Nine hours on a bus, then another nine hours on a plane. Is there something better, considering we will have our luggage with us? Is the Luggage Valet available?

Is there anything like Miami's Bayside? Or any kind of harbor or sight seeing boat tours?

Thanks for any help.

Rick and Deirdra

Lirio, Thanks for that info! Being totally unfamiliar w/ Santos (I DO know that was the home of PELE) and the harbor area, here are two more questions...

- From where RCCL bus from the ship to the Cruise Terminal drops us off, how do I get from the dropoff point to where the bus to Congonhas airport would pick us up? Easy walk? Taxi?

- Also, what would you think a taxi from the Cruise Terminal to Congonhas airport would cost?

Thanks, again!

I will check and get back to you. I live in Rio de Janeiro and I rarely go to Santos, but it is easy to get the information. Just give a couple of days.

There is not much to see in the Santos area. There is the former Coffee Market which is a very interesting building with a museum. There are some barroque church, local museums and an aquarium.

On the other hand, Sao Paulo is a city with an impressive collection of art galleries and museums. But it is trick because of the huge traffic jams that go over on daily basis all day long (I go to Sao Paulo almost every week). Should you be interested in Sao Paulo, just let me know.

Archived