Anybody ever make a 10:50 flight out of Miami?

DaisyBa6y

I know I am taking a big chance here. Please someone tell me this can be done.

Because I am using miles to purchase my tickets I am limited to my departure times. I have booked the 10:50 flight with a knot in my gut.

This will be on a Friday disembarking the Sky @ 8:00 (hopefully).

Because I am using miles to purchase my tickets I am limited to my departure times. I have booked the 10:50 flight with a knot in my gut.

As a local Miami resident, I would never do it because Friday is a work day and the Port of Miami is pretty much next to Downtown Miami (very busy area in the mornings as well as afternoons during the work week).

You might be able to make it if you do self debark and head straight to the airport, but if you have a choice at all, please change it to a later flight, just to be safe.

Enjoy your cruise!

You might be able to make it if you do self debark and head straight to the airport.....

I think our flight out of Miami was even earlier than that (10 a.m., maybe?) and we did the self disembarkation (very quick and easy) and took a cab to the airport. We made it with time to spare, BUT it was on a Sunday morning.....:rolleyes:

oh man...that's a tough one. not sure i would slice it that thin. but heck, if you manage to pull it off...kudos to you! good luck.

that's the thing with miles...but can't blame you for wanting to use them.

I fly standby and have no penalities and all the freedom to take all the chances I want. For MOST people this timeframe wouldn't work.

It greatly depends- how organized you are all the way around travel.

For this to even remotely be an option- you MUST- self disembark- be ready and in line an hour before the posted time. Pack light, and haul your stuff to the taxi line immediately.

In the airport, know the proceedures, have your confirmation ready, id accessable, confirm everything the day before from the ship internet. Check your bags, without using ticket agents. Be prepared for security, have documents handy, liquids bagged, belts off, laptops out etc etc etc.

Go immediately to the gate.

IF you have any mobility limitations, forget it.

I do have to say, I made an 8:20am Miami flight last November, but I know my way around and can manage with my eyes closed. :) Good luck.

I fly standby and have no penalities and all the freedom to take all the chances I want. For MOST people this timeframe wouldn't work.

It greatly depends- how organized you are all the way around travel.

For this to even remotely be an option- you MUST- self disembark- be ready and in line an hour before the posted time. Pack light, and haul your stuff to the taxi line immediately.

In the airport, know the proceedures, have your confirmation ready, id accessable, confirm everything the day before from the ship internet. Check your bags, without using ticket agents. Be prepared for security, have documents handy, liquids bagged, belts off, laptops out etc etc etc.

Go immediately to the gate.

IF you have any mobility limitations, forget it.

I do have to say, I made an 8:20am Miami flight last November, but I know my way around and can manage with my eyes closed. :) Good luck.

8:20 a.m. flight from Miami International Airport if you disembark at 8 a.m. ?

If you disembark at 8 a.m. as the poster mentioned, it would take at least 10 -15 minutes (that is being optimistic) to go though US Customs and Border Patrol at the Port of Miami, then another 20 - 30 minute ride (with good traffic) to MIA. Once you arrive at MIA (should be one hour before any domestic fligh as Miami has very tight security check points in place since 9/11). Too close for comfort!

If NCL offers the bags program, use it. They take your luggage from your room and you don't see it again untill your final destination. We used it in LA and save us alot of hassel and time to make an early flight.

Tim

Interesting. I will definitely look into this.

I appreciate all the information.

If you disembark at 8 a.m. as the poster mentioned, it would take at least 10 -15 minutes (that is being optimistic) to go though US Customs and Border Patrol at the Port of Miami, then another 20 - 30 minute ride (with good traffic) to MIA. Once you arrive at MIA (should be one hour before any domestic fligh as Miami has very tight security check points in place since 9/11). Too close for comfort!

I disembarked just before 7am- first one off the ship. I only gave this as a remote rare example, and nothing I would ever recommend, or that happens very often. In June this year, I missed an 8:30am Seattle flight, but did get on an 11 am. :) If I had missed that one, I would have been overnight and possibly not able to get out until 2 days after the cruise.

maybe budgetqueen was IN HER LUGGAGE as part of the bags program...that's how she made that flight? hehehehehe.

...just kidding folks. :)

Can be done! Have done it sevarl times with a flight as early as 9:45 but you MUST:

1) get red tags, 1st people allowed off due to early flights. Means you have to be ready to go early and grab your own bags to carry off. If you check them the night before (which I've done too) you risk not being able to find them in the holding area and missing your flight. We just choose to haul everything off in the AM that way we don't have to worry about that.

2) grab a cab as soon as you can and get to the airport!

I've caught flights before 11am at Lauderdale and Miami about 7 times prior.

Good luck!

I think that is cutting it way too close & what's the difference if someone has been successful before, it doesn't mean you will be. I wouldn't book that flight.

Agree. Too much stress for me.

Good luck!! ~

Find self extremely skeptical of some of these claims, but more to the point, do you really want to spend the last few days of your cruise worrying about what will happen if you miss your flight?

When my Panama Canal cruise docked in Miami, there were four other ships already ahead of us, so our 8AM disembarcation began closer to eleven due to lack of available customs officials. Virtually everyone on board missed a flight or a local tour as a result.

I think you will be OK. I've had early flights but more like 11:15 and that was on the weekend. Last year we were disembarked, in the taxi and checked in at the airport by 9:10am on a Saturday.

I think with it being Friday, an off cruise day at the airport, you might be in a better situation because you won't have as many cruise passangers to contend with from several ships arriving.

Be sure to check which group will disembark first. If the Bags Program is allowed to disembark first or if the Self Disembarkers are allowed first. This is going to be critical because you need to be in THE FRONT of that customs line. These days they try to get by with only a couple ofcustoms agents to clear the entire ship. So you want to be in the front of that line because the customs check is the bottle neck in the process. So ask NCL which group disembarks first and put yourself in that group. A year ago they let the self disembarkers go before the Bags Program so just check what they are doing now to be sure you pick the group leaving first.

Once you get a taxi it won't take 30 minutes to get to the airport. Maybe 15.

Finally, have a good attitude about it. Decide if you can live with it if you miss the flight. Perhaps have some idea of what you can do with your day if you do miss that flight. Have an attitude like Hey if I miss it I miss it.

I haven't read the other replies. Each year we take a 5 night cruise without the children, Sunday - Friday. For the past 5 years this is the flight we take out of Miami, 10:50 am. We get in line early for the walk off embarkation, and are one of the first people getting through customs. We've never had a problem making the flight.

I was able to switch from a later flight to one at 10:30 when I arrived at the airport early but don't think I would book one that early. Too many things can hold you up on disembarkation day that could keep you from getting there on time. I do self disembarkation which does help getting off the ship early but it could still be tight.

too many ASAP s to take the chance...all it take s is one not to

as plan d..

it s just not the way i want to end an otherwise great vacation..:)

i would just hate to say for you to give it a shot and have things

go south on ya...

We did it with an 11:00am flight on a Friday. Did the walk off carrying your own baggage at about 8:30am and made it without a problem. I think we arrived at the airport around 9:30am. The lines at Miami airport were really long to get through security but when they saw what flight they were on they moved us up. Wasn't really necessary as we just sat for 45 minutes anyways.

Archived