Newbie questions: dining; radio

Lizzie1

We will be taking our first cruise next week. We have reserved the late seating. I am a little confused about the dining options. I assume we just let our waiters know if we have booked the Pinnacle dining room for the next night and won't be at the table. Can we do the same for the Veendam's new Canaletto restaurant, or is that only available if you have booked open seating? Is that restaurant available only for dinner or for other meals as well?

Also, I understand the rooms do not have radios. Does anyone know if you can you get XM radio coverage? My husband has hopes of being able to listen to ball games in the gym, for example, or on deck, if not in the cabins.

It is not necessary to notify your wait staff if you are eating elsewhere. Though I usually do in case they are looking for some seats for one of the officers for dinner. Canaletto restaurant is open evenings but you do have to make reservations. Suggest you do that early.

Never heard of anyone picking up XM channel while at sea but maybe in ports.

Enjoy your first cruise.

... Canaletto restaurant, or is that only available if you have booked open seating? Is that restaurant available only for dinner or for other meals as well?

Also, I understand the rooms do not have radios. Does anyone know if you can you get XM radio coverage? My husband has hopes of being able to listen to ball games in the gym, for example, or on deck, if not in the cabins.

Canaletto is open only for dinner (it is in the Lido restaurant) and anyone can book a table there (space permitting, of course).

The in-cabin 'radio' only plays music from the ship. There isn't a tuner, only 3-4 channels. If your DH wants to bring his XM stuff and headphones, I would imagine he could receive a signal in Alaska.

XM reception should be available at the southern tip of Alaska per XM. I could find no official reception map. I did find this user generated report of XM reception. http://www.wxworx.com/community/unofficial_map.php . Your husband would increase his chances for reception outside on an upper deck.

Archived