Just back from the Sky.....

Jillliebean

My boyfriend and I sailed the NCL Sky Aug 10-14 and had a fabulous time! We were both first time cruisers on ANY ship and were just blown away by the whole thing!

Here's a quick summary...feel free to ask any questions...this board helped me a lot when we were planning!!!!

We stayed in an inside cabin on the 10th deck. The room was small but definitley didn't feel cramped. The showers were VERY small but i realized if i soaped up, then turned the water off and opened the curtain, i could stretch out my legs on the ledge of the toilet to shave my legs! (p.s. I'm just about 6 ft tall, so tall ppl we beware of the tiny shower!)

We brought our own liquor on. We just packed it in resealably plastic bottles and put in our luggage. No problems there. We purchased a lot of drinks at the bar too, and they were very reasonable.

Shore excursions:

1. We did beaches and caves...after much debate over whether we should book our own or go through NCL we just booked through NCL for ease.

FYI...the caves SUCK....the beach is FABULOUS. The beach was the highlight of the trip! Absolutely amazing. They also take you to Banana Bay restaurant on the beach, the food isn't included with the excursion, but it's really cheap. We had conch fritters and several bahama mamas and the bill was about $20-$25. And it's BEAUTIFUL there!

2. We did the Seahorse sail and snorkel. I have to admit...I was a little scared. I've never gone snorkeling before and they kind of just drop you off in water that's about 25 feet deep, but it was so fun!

3. Not worth it to rent the snorkel gear at the private island. There are no fish and it's too crowded. Get off the ship early...by 10:30am the tenders are packed and there's no beach chairs. Then get back on the ship by 2:30...same thing. We were on the beach from 8:30 to 2ish and had a full day.

We didn't see any of the shows....we wanted to but kept seeing other things we enjoyed, or ended up eating slower than we thought we would, but I heard they were great.

We participated in the 'pub crawl' which was sooo fun! I would recommend it to anyone.

Overall we had a great time all week.

Let me know if you have any questions!

i missed the pubcrawl...how was the flip cup game? i thought that was pretty awesome to read a college beer game being advertised in the Freestyle Daily.

bummer you missed the shows. those dancers are pretty awesome!

as for the day on GSC, that was pretty wise of you. we did the same thing...tender no later than 9am. then back on the ship by 3pm. take in a siesta, then get ready for dinner.

may i recommend a B2B of the 3 and 4 day...double your pleasure! and maybe you'll see the shows the next time...heheheheh!

WIKI WIKI WAH!!!

The Sky, being a somewhat older ship (1999?), doesn't have all of the amenities that the newer ones have, but we were well pleased with it.

One thing we would have liked is to have trays to set your plates/drinking glass on in the buffet line. We found it very inconvenient to have to keep making trips back and forth from our table.

We took the 2nd tender over to GSC and came back about 1:30. You are on the mark with your recommendation to get there early. All the chairs were taken by about 11:00 or so.

I also strongly agree about snorkeling - DON'T BOTHER WITH RENTING EQUIPMENT ON GSC!! No fish, limited area, very cloudy water.

We thought the food was really good. We ate in the specialty Italian restaurant one night and it was very good. We were celebrating my wife's birthday so it was a special occasion for us.

Overall, I'd have to give a hearty "thumbs up" to NCL and the Sky in particular. We've never been disappointed on an NCL cruise.

The only damper on the whole trip was the tragic incident on GSC.

A passenger was walking on the rocks (to the right of the beach), got too close to the edge, slipped and fell in.

He apparently was knocked unconscious and drowned. They spent from noon till dark looking for him. That's why the ship didn't leave at 5 pm.

Apparently you missed the captain's announcement.

As of the time we left GSC (dusk) they still had not located his body.

That is so sad.

A passenger was walking on the rocks (to the right of the beach), got too close to the edge, slipped and fell in.

He apparently was knocked unconscious and drowned. They spent from noon till dark looking for him. That's why the ship didn't leave at 5 pm.

Apparently you missed the captain's announcement.

As of the time we left GSC (dusk) they still had not located his body.

We will be going there in late October. Would like a little more info about the "Caves & Beaches" excursion. How long were at the beach? Were there shaded areas with loungers? Was it a nice place to swim and relax? Thanks!

The Sky, being a somewhat older ship (1999?), doesn't have all of the amenities that the newer ones have, but we were well pleased with it.

One thing we would have liked is to have trays to set your plates/drinking glass on in the buffet line. We found it very inconvenient to have to keep making trips back and forth from our table.

We took the 2nd tender over to GSC and came back about 1:30. You are on the mark with your recommendation to get there early. All the chairs were taken by about 11:00 or so.

I also strongly agree about snorkeling - DON'T BOTHER WITH RENTING EQUIPMENT ON GSC!! No fish, limited area, very cloudy water.

We thought the food was really good. We ate in the specialty Italian restaurant one night and it was very good. We were celebrating my wife's birthday so it was a special occasion for us.

Overall, I'd have to give a hearty "thumbs up" to NCL and the Sky in particular. We've never been disappointed on an NCL cruise.

I agree with you about the trays, wonder why they don't have them?

We had a good time snorkeling at GSC, we had to swim way out to the rocks where it got deep to see any fish, and the water was pretty clear out there. Closer to shore, at the artificial reef, it was cloudy with no fish.

We got there first tender, and we saw a cuttle fish and a small barracuda "hiding out" above some small rock/grass piles waiting to ambush a meal, but they moved out as more and more people arrived.

We had a good time on the Sky too.:)

Beaches and Caves tour....totally worth it! The caves take 15, 20 minutes max to see. Like I said, not really worth it, but whatever. There is a small 'out house' but I would sugg. wearing your bathing suit under your clothes. When we were there it was high tide so there wasn't much beachy room....mostly water, but there are trees around where you can lay out. There are no chairs or anything...just ocean and sand. Truly amazing and worth every penny. There were chairs at the banana bay restaurant though.

The trays in the buffet area have been taken away fleetwide....the newer ships dont have them either;)

My boyfriend and I sailed the NCL Sky Aug 10-14 and had a fabulous time! We were both first time cruisers on ANY ship and were just blown away by the whole thing!

We stayed in an inside cabin on the 10th deck. The room was small but definitley didn't feel cramped. The showers were VERY small but i realized if i soaped up, then turned the water off and opened the curtain, i could stretch out my legs on the ledge of the toilet to shave my legs! (p.s. I'm just about 6 ft tall, so tall ppl we beware of the tiny shower!)

3. Not worth it to rent the snorkel gear at the private island. There are no fish and it's too crowded. Get off the ship early...by 10:30am the tenders are packed and there's no beach chairs. Then get back on the ship by 2:30...same thing. We were on the beach from 8:30 to 2ish and had a full day.

We didn't see any of the shows....we wanted to but kept seeing other things we enjoyed, or ended up eating slower than we thought we would, but I heard they were great.

This might make you feel a little better....we were in a suite on the Sky and their showers are small there as well. The only difference is there is also a Jacuzzi in the room...that only worked for me though because my husband likes showers and not baths! :p

We actually had good snorkeling at GSC, especially on this last trip...I am sure the ocean was cloudy because it was churned up some from the storms in the area. You have to make your way right when you get off the tender and always plan to go early (first tenders) and stay until right after lunch....then you get the best of both worlds....GSC is not so crowded and you come back to an empty ship! :D The best thing we have found is to bring our own snorkel gear. Yeah, it's a pain to haul around, but it has paid for itself!

If you go again, the Newlywed/Not So Newlywed game is a HOOT.....so is Matt Baker the CD. I can't remember a time I laughed so hard!

The Sky is awesome for a few days away from the realities of life....if we were only a little closer to Miami! :rolleyes: Life needs more 7 day weekends!:D

Here's a quick summary...feel free to ask any questions...this board helped me a lot when we were planning!!!!

We brought our own liquor on. We just packed it in resealably plastic bottles and put in our luggage. No problems there. We purchased a lot of drinks at the bar too, and they were very reasonable.

Shore excursions:

1. We did beaches and caves...after much debate over whether we should book our own or go through NCL we just booked through NCL for ease.

FYI...the caves SUCK....the beach is FABULOUS. The beach was the highlight of the trip! Absolutely amazing. They also take you to Banana Bay restaurant on the beach, the food isn't included with the excursion, but it's really cheap. We had conch fritters and several bahama mamas and the bill was about $20-$25. And it's BEAUTIFUL there!

2. We did the Seahorse sail and snorkel. I have to admit...I was a little scared. I've never gone snorkeling before and they kind of just drop you off in water that's about 25 feet deep, but it was so fun!

We participated in the 'pub crawl' which was sooo fun! I would recommend it to anyone.

Overall we had a great time all week.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Are all bars open when you first get on the ship....we are looking for a quit bar to pull off a surprise. Any suggestion...

Also interested in the pub crawl....anyone have any info on it? also, we are on the 4 day departing Feb. 22, 2010...anyone else? we are thinking of the jeep tour, to see the island....has anyone done this?

thanks....scott from Maine

Archived