Trying to concinve parents to cruise with us...

megnshane

Hi everyone,

I am looking to cruise next June on the Carnival Pride. My husband and I would LOVE for my parents to cruise along with us. My mother is petrified she will be sea sick the entire time.... I told her she wont ever know unless she tries it!!!! Any advice I can give her????

My mom gets seasick standing on the dock... but she loves to cruise! She takes Bonamine (Bonine in the States) every evening. I did the same thing, and neither of us has ever got sick onboard.

But I have realized one thing- we've tried to convince my FIL and MIL to cruise with us, and they are really concerned. I gave up, because I do not want to be responsible if they have a bad time. I figure if you are that reluctant, you've probably convinced yourself you'll hate it, and that would be so disappointing to you, who worked so hard to get them on it in the first place!

So good luck if she is willing to try it with medication. Otherwise, keep showing her pictures and see if she comes around on her own in a few years.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Same here. Dad is willing to go, but Mom is deathly afraid of drowning because she can't swim. However, she will go on an airplane anytime. Arguing with her that if the plane goes down she can't fly just didn't win the argument!

We offered to pay for my wife's parents to come, which worked. Give that a shot LOL.

The Pride sails along nice and smooth. I was amazed at how smooth it was, considering we were moving along at 21-23 knots most of the time (which is hauling by cruise ship standards).

Have her talk to her Doctor about the patches... Many people including my husband use them and are just fine... If a Dr. tells her she will be ok maybe that would help?

We took my in-laws a few years ago and my FIL said it was the best time of his life! They only went because we paid and haven't been again since we haven't offered again. :p

Good Luck....

once you get your mom on 1st cruise, she'll not complain about other cruises. Took several years, and finally had to pay for 1st cruise. 2nd cruise - all she asked was where to send the money. And what to pack. (Not exactly her 1st cruise, but hadn't been on one since I was a child. Things change in 40 years.)

Thanks everyone. I gave her all the information today over lunch and told her to think long and hard about it. She was going to go talk to my dad to see what his thoughts were. She works for our family Dr so I also told her to talk it over with the Dr. Hopefully that will help. I know once she goes once she is going to love it!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me :D

Also, if you get a lower level mid ship room there is not as much movement. We got an OV room in that location for our upcoming cruise because my 3 year old has shown us she already has motion sickness so just to be safe. I also get motion sickness but find if I take something before embarking I don't have to take another pill again the whole cruise and if anything will use the wristbands if I need it. What is worse for me is when you are back home after the cruise and you still feel like you are moving. That's when I take another pill.

She can get some prescription meds from her doctor just in case. We did and did not use them.

My wife (maybe the same age as your mother) was afraid of going on a ship and I was a little nervous about sea sickness from being on small boats. We finally made it and have been sailing ever since. We have had some rough seas where we had to hold onto the hand rails when walking down the halls but did not get sick. (This is far from normal) The ships pay a lot of attention to having a smooth ride and the stabilizers do an excellent job. My guess is she won't be able to tell the difference from being at the dock or out on the ocean. Sea sickness might just be an excuse not to try something new. If that is the problem you might want to try and say it is just like going to a hotel for a vacation and each time you leave the hotel you have different neighborhoods to explore.

Last year I called my parents up (in their 60's) and said "Dad, there is a hurricane special leaving tomorrow for a 3 day for $99, will yall come too?" I told him I had to know NOW cuz the pvp was holding the cabins on the other phone. I gave him no time to think about it and he said yes. When he found out it was a 3 day to nowhere, they got concerned that they wouldnt like not "seeing land" for so long. Well, afterwards they couldnt stop talking about their next cruise. The ship was big enought that you never knew your werent near land and it was smooth sailing. They loved it. A shorter cruise would be best to start with. Good luck!

show her your family vacation pictures......"mom, think about the wonderful family photos....we could get all dressed up for the formal portrait....it would be a great Christmas card photo.." That would work on me....but then again...i like to cruise:D

We are probably the age of your parents or older. The first family cruise we took was out of New Orlwans on the Conquest. Myself, DH, DD, SIL, DS DIL and 5 grandchildren fromages 10-16.. One of the GS graduated from hi school this may and in our small town there is a senior Event when the Seniors all have an oppotunity to talk for a couple of minutes...when the GS said that the most memorable trip he had ever taken was this family cruise and he would remember it for the rest of his life...I almost cried....We have since that time gone to the Med with DD & family and I went as a chaperone this past May on the Senior Trip. We have now booked a Spring break cruise with DD & family...Tell your parents that it is like a large hotel resort... Get your folks meds and they may not even need them..The memories that you will build in the fun and the quiet moments are priceless. Just remember that cruises do cost money and some of us are on fixed incomes so sometimes we need a little help. I save my substitute teaching checks to travel but even then our DD helped us for the Med trip. wouldn't have been able to swing it without that.

Oh my! I REALLY need to learn to take my time when reading post titles, I could have SWORN this said 'Trying to CONCEIVE, parents cruising with us'. I guess I have babies on the brain :p

I was really worried about seasickness also before our first cruise, but have only felt nauseous once during rough seas (and after 6/7 beers in Nassau). I'm with everyone who has already recommended the ginger products and the Rx as well as the OTC motion sickness meds just in case.

Good luck! You'll have her addicted in no time :)

My exhusband was someone who could get seasick standing still lol The travel agent suggested this and it worked every time! Take Bonine and start the day before you even leave so it's already in your system. Take it every morning, including the day after you are off the ship. Book the lowest level cabin and midship. Good luck.

Same here. Dad is willing to go, but Mom is deathly afraid of drowning because she can't swim. However, she will go on an airplane anytime. Arguing with her that if the plane goes down she can't fly just didn't win the argument!

My oldest son, who is 21, and I can barely swim a stroke. He took swimming lessons at the YMCA for years, so it's not from lack of trying. We LOVE to cruise. Neither of us has ever worried about drowning. Maybe you mom will listen to me. ;)

He took swimming lessons at the YMCA for years, so it's not from lack of trying. ;)

Both should try one more time to learn... Years ago i used to teach swimming and every person learned... some were slow at swimming, some had to tread to keep from going under but everyone learned to stay alive in water. I am not flaming in any way, just asking you please to call and find swimming lessons for ADULTS and go with an open mind. It is not hard, but your mind can block you... I taught from 6 months to 80 years old and everyone learned.

I am so sensitive to motion that I joke that I get sick when the earth moves on it's axis....I can turn over in bed and get dizzy....

I always wear the patch...and never had a problem....I also bring the wrist seasick bands and ginger pills.....the most problem I had with the patch was slight blurry vision and dry mouth (make sure you drink Gatorade if you are in the sun...hubby got dehydrated from the patch....one bottle of Vitaminwater and he was fine).....my son used the non-drowsy pills and wristbands and felt great....

Try the shorter cruise first (I was very nervous my first cruise..........) We are planning our 7th cruise!

Archived