I need help convincing my dad.......

well stated. I agree. a cruise is much about the cruise and not much time for immersion in shore culture.

I think it would be fun to do a TA one way, fly the other, and in between, spend time packing in as much as I could. three months seems about right for Europe ;)

Great idea. When do we leave?

DON

well stated. I agree. a cruise is much about the cruise and not much time for immersion in shore culture.

I think it would be fun to do a TA one way, fly the other, and in between, spend time packing in as much as I could. three months seems about right for Europe ;)

Great idea. When do we leave?

DON

I'd like to know too.

To the OP...I am one who has to agree that, if this is their only chance to see Europe, you might want to look at a land-based vacation. My boss just came back from 3 days in Venice 2 days in Florence and 2 days in Rome and told me she loved it but there was no way she could see everything she wanted to.

Well, I pitched all the options to him, and he decided that he would tell my mom that he is taking her to Italy. When she stops laughing and screaming and crying, then they will decide together exactly which way they would like to see Europe! He thinks that someone will somehow let the surprise slip, so he wants to tell her soon! This idea comes from experience! (He almost let it slip about the surprise trip to Hawaii--MANY TIMES!) ...just doesn't want to take that chance again! LOL!

Oh, and he was not opposed to the idea of cruising like I thought he would have been! He's just not sure what my mom would like.

If they did choose the cruise, they would be spending a week in Rome first though.

Thanks for all your input!

I'd like to know too.

To the OP...I am one who has to agree that, if this is their only chance to see Europe, you might want to look at a land-based vacation. My boss just came back from 3 days in Venice 2 days in Florence and 2 days in Rome and told me she loved it but there was no way she could see everything she wanted to.

Sorry Don and Hazel, I just returned from 11 days in Ireland, so, can't leave again for a while. That was not nearly enuf time.

I'm not sure 11 days in any one European country would be enuf?

Well, I pitched all the options to him, and he decided that he would tell my mom that he is taking her to Italy. When she stops laughing and screaming and crying, then they will decide together exactly which way they would like to see Europe! He thinks that someone will somehow let the surprise slip, so he wants to tell her soon! This idea comes from experience! (He almost let it slip about the surprise trip to Hawaii--MANY TIMES!) ...just doesn't want to take that chance again! LOL!

Oh, and he was not opposed to the idea of cruising like I thought he would have been! He's just not sure what my mom would like.

If they did choose the cruise, they would be spending a week in Rome first though.

Something you said struck a cord in me... you said

My dad doesn't like the unfamiliar. A cruise is unfamiliar to him.
Wouldn't a trip to Europe also be unfamiliar"?

I have an idea! Why don't you cruise with your parents? :D That way, you could help them with the ends and outs of cruising.;)

Although my parents are experienced cruisers and had been to Europe numerous times, my sisters, brother and I all accompanied them to the Mediterranean on the Holland American Noordam last summer. Being in their 80's, they needed to have our help.

I highly suggest HAL for a first class cruising experience, and the prices are usually more reasonable than RCCL. We cruised out of Civitavecchia, Italy, but had a stay over in Rome both before and after the cruise. Three days were enough for us to see everything in Rome. Wish we had a little more time to tour outside Rome, though. Aside from 2 port stops in Italy, and a ride by the Amalfi coast, the cruise went to Dubrovnik, Croatia, 3 ports in Greece (including my favorite isle of Santorini), Turkey and Malta. We would have never been able to see the other ports had we been on a land tour. Way too much traveling and expense!

Our cruise was the very first week in June, so the weather was still fair to warm. I would suggest spring or fall for cooler temps.

Oh yeah, about that not swimming and drowning business. :rolleyes: I'd be more worried about flying over the vast ocean, than worrying about being on a ship. I too use to put off cruising because I was afraid the ship would go down. :o Now that my DH finally got me on a cruise...he can't get me to stay off them! :D

My dad would like to surprise my mom for their anniversary with a trip to Rome. I think they would be best cruising, and visiting other ports, along with a land based trip. This may very well be their only trip to Europe.

I have put together a few different packages including a cruise. Trouble is, he will need some convincing to get on a ship.

He can't swim.

He's never been on a cruise.

I know Carnival ships, and what they have to offer, eg. 24 hour pizza and ice cream, etc. What does RC offer that could peak my dad's enthusiasm for the ship?

The cruises I am looking at would leave from Rome, so I believe it is the Navigator of the Seas.

If you know about this ship, I'd sure love to hear about it!

Also, any tips for an 'apprehensive, possibly, first time cruiser', would be much appreciated!

Santy

I'll bet if you were to canvass Cruise Critic members there would be a large number who were scared of going on a cruise or who had some very common misconceptions about this form of travel. And I include myself in that category as my first experience was on the CPR liner "Empress of Canada" back in the late 60s.

Two years ago my wife and I took the plunge (no pun intended) and chose RCLs "Empress of the Seas" for our first cruise. We have never looked back since and we try to alternate between an all-inclusive and a cruise.

We have sailed the Navigator of the Seas and as others have pointed out it is a great ship. Go for it - you'll be glad you did!

Perfect!

I have an idea! Why don't you cruise with your parents? :D That way, you could help them with the ends and outs of cruising.;)

Cruisemania, I would have LOVED to cruise with them, but this year has been a real bugger! Our son is now in braces, our daughter is off to University, our roof needed to be redone! It's been fun!:D

As for my dad not swimming, that wasn't even an issue! I really thought he was going to mention that as his reason he wouldn't like cruising. He did mention that he had heard of almost everyone getting sick on a ship or two. That seems to be his only concern.

Archived