Family of five - pricing and cabins

seacrcsvz

We are a family of five, kids are 3, 5, and 7 years of age. We want to book a European cruise and are having a tough time navigating all the webistes and trying to figure out cabin configurations. Obviously the kids are too young to be in a cabin on their own, unless they have a connecting door to us. There seem to be so few family cabins on ships, particularly those that accomodate 5! We don't really want to end up paying the sky high fares for the suites on board either. Then of course the question is how is the cost calculated when there are discounts for children, etc. For eample, if children travel free, I presume that is only when you have already paid for two in the cabin. For our family, that may actually mean paying for four adult fares and only one child travelling free - the deal is no longer so good! Also I am extremely frustrated that I can not check the prices online since as soon as I put in for five people the websites all say the largest reservation that can be made is for four - even though some of the cruiselines have family cabins to accomodate six or eight!

So, specifically, can anyone tell me what options I have on the following cruise lines and how the pricing would be calculated (I have scoured the websites and am having no luck - I live in South America and have no access to a travel agent with any knowledge):

Royal Carribean, Splendour of the Seas - Family suite versus inside connected versus outside connected; pricing

Norwegian Gem or Jade - what are the options and the pricing

Costa Victoria, Marina, Concordia, Pacifica, or Fortuna - options and pricing

MSC - Splendida, Fantasia, Musica, Lirica, Sinfonica- options and pricing

Ocean Village (original, not OV II)- options and pricing

Thomson Cruises/Island Cruises, Island Escape - options and pricing

You need a travel agent who specializes in cruises...they can help you compare all the ships and options available.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 connecting rooms...most ships have plenty of them, for the privacy it would afford you.

We are a family of five, kids are 3, 5, and 7 years of age. We want to book a European cruise and are having a tough time navigating all the webistes and trying to figure out cabin configurations. Obviously the kids are too young to be in a cabin on their own, unless they have a connecting door to us. There seem to be so few family cabins on ships, particularly those that accomodate 5! We don't really want to end up paying the sky high fares for the suites on board either. Then of course the question is how is the cost calculated when there are discounts for children, etc. For eample, if children travel free, I presume that is only when you have already paid for two in the cabin. For our family, that may actually mean paying for four adult fares and only one child travelling free - the deal is no longer so good! Also I am extremely frustrated that I can not check the prices online since as soon as I put in for five people the websites all say the largest reservation that can be made is for four - even though some of the cruiselines have family cabins to accomodate six or eight!

So, specifically, can anyone tell me what options I have on the following cruise lines and how the pricing would be calculated (I have scoured the websites and am having no luck - I live in South America and have no access to a travel agent with any knowledge):

Royal Carribean, Splendour of the Seas - Family suite versus inside connected versus outside connected; pricing

Norwegian Gem or Jade - what are the options and the pricing

Costa Victoria, Marina, Concordia, Pacifica, or Fortuna - options and pricing

MSC - Splendida, Fantasia, Musica, Lirica, Sinfonica- options and pricing

Ocean Village (original, not OV II)- options and pricing

Thomson Cruises/Island Cruises, Island Escape - options and pricing

Reservations for five people must be booked over the phone and can't be checked on-line.

You have pretty much figured out how pricing is calculated; usually the first two people pay the regular rate, and the next two (for a four person cabin) are sometimes at a discounted rate or free. So, if you booked two cabins, yes, you are going to pay for four full rates and one discounted for a family of five. No way around that.

You have a lot of complicated questions and I don't think anyone on this board can give you all this information. Also, the fact you do not live in the US would make your pricing and choices different.

If you can't find a local travel agent, I would recommend you find one using the internet and discuss your questions with them. We aren't allowed to make any recommendations for TAs on this board. Good luck.

I am familiar with Royal Caribbean, but not so much with the other cruiselines you mentioned. If you go to their website, there is a link where you can enter their phone number and have them call you. Other cruiselines marketed to the U.S. market like Norwegian would have the same thing.

There are other cabins on Royal Caribbean ships other than the family suite that will sleep 5. However, it looks like the Splendour has very few of them. With little ones on RCCL in the Med, my first choice would be Independence of the Seas, followed by either Navigator of the Seas or Adventure of the Seas. These ships have more cabin choices for families of 5 and more amenities for kids.

Family suite: You will pay 1st and 2nd rate for your persons 1 and 2, each, and then pay "3rd and 4th" persons rate for your 3,4 and 5 persons, each.

inside connected: You will pay 1st and 2nd rate for the first and second people in each room and one 3rd person fee for the third person in one room.

outside connected: You will pay 1st and 2nd rate for the first and second people in each room and one 3rd person fee for the third person in one room.

Also, if you have some time, typically the larger family rooms get released to the website, if they have not been booked, and the cruise line is past final payment date. For the cruise that you want to take, pick a date that is close to "right now" and try to book to see if the room is available. If the website still will not let you book for 5, try booking for four. If you find what you are interested you can always make a phone call and inquire after the room.

Archived