What camera gear?

DelR

What camera equipment do you take with you on your cruise?

Just a point & shoot compact, a higher end compact or a full SLR outfit?

I always feel I may be missing out if I leave my SLR at home, however its nice not having to carry it everywhere when on holiday.

If you do take an SLR, have you found the ideal bag to take with you?

For me it would depend on the holiday. I'm off to the Caribbean and plan on been in the water and doing more adventurous things so I'll be taking my Olympus Tough 8000 which is 12MP and waterproof to a depth of 33ft and an extremely tough thing to break. You can also buy a float wrist strap which is supposed to keep the camera afloat.

If I were doing a more scenic holiday then an SLR would be my choice. I use a decent SLR rucksack. Couldn't be doing with carrying it around all the day.

I use a 12x zoom Kodak. It didn't cost the earth, has an amazing zoom and is not too heavy. Mrs PN has a small Fujitsu that can be slipped in a pocket; the only moving part is the shutter as the 3x zoom is internal and done by mirros.

The Fujitsu can go up to 1600 ISO and take non-flash photos in poor light often capturing real colour rather than the washout that a flash can give.

Both cameras have a cam corder function and for its size the Fujitsu takes some beating.

Don't forget with your Olympus 8000 you can switch to video, which while snorkelling/diving brings another dimension to your photography underwater.

We are on a western med cruise next year and would love to take the SLR. Bags, shoulder, backpack or one of the newer style sling packs, and these days I don't know of many camera stores that hold much of a range to be able to compare.

I can't use a compact camera - with my eyesight I can't properly see the LCD screen and they don't have proper optical viewfinders. So I have a DSLR - nice big viewfinder but heavy, especially with good lenses - and a Leica rangefinder system - smaller, lighter, amazing viewfinder but cumbersome to use.

Previously I've taken the DSLR on our cruises but this summer I think I'm going to take just the Leica. If I do I'll probably shoot Kodak Ektar print film, and get a basic scan when they're developed.

As far as bags are concerned I have a Billingham 'Hadley Pro' bag for the Leica system. That will hold the camera and two or three lenses (Leica lenses are mostly small), with room for a water bottle & guidebooks.

I take a tiny Canon Digital Ixus 70 with a metal strap so I can pop it in my top pocket. It has a optical viewfinder which zooms as well. I find this handy as I can't see the LCD with my distance glasses on!

Whatever camera you have, get more memory so you can take thousands of photos.

Hi everyone.

Has anybody seen the new Canon Powershot D10, waterproof down to 36ft, 12.7MP, 3x opitcal zoom, video capture and multiple underwater shot modes. Read a review by a scuba diving team about this camera and they had it down to 39ft for over 1 hour and take great photos. Price around £220- £275.

Seriously think about this for our cruise in November.

Dave

Price around £220- £275.

Seriously think about this for our cruise in November.

Dave

You can get an awful lot of drinking tickets for that sort of money. I use a cheap (£7) waterproof case and wet film camera. The only trick is you 'rewind' the film on to the spool before you use and it it winds into the case as you use it.

Years ago I had all the gear Nikon SLR a couple of lenses, huge detachable flash gun, filters and all the gubbins.

Then for many years I just carried a compact first film and later digital.

Now I carry a compromise. Panasonic FZ28, looks like a small SLR digital but has a huge telephoto lens equivalent to 480mm, with a UV filter and an excellent camera it is for just about any eventuality....:):)

Archived