Need tips...what to do with 4 1/2 year old in Halifax & St.Johns.

maja

We've been to these ports in the past but this time we are bringing along our very active 4 1/2 yr old granddaughter.

Any suggestions of how to spend our day in these ports would be appreciated!

Also wondering if there are any parks near the terminals where she can run around & play.

In Halifax you must visit the tug boat Theodore and his store on the dock. Theodore is the star/hero of a series of children's books and tv shows. There are special onboard tours for children and their parents. Theodore docks by the Halifax boardwalk when he is in port and his store is just there. About a 20 minute walk from where your ship docks.

Look for a real tug boat that has a baseball cap on and is painted in bright colors.

The Maritime Museum has a big Theodore display as well. http://www.murphysonthewater.com/theodoretugboat/

I live here and take my grandchildren to the waterfront. We did Theodore and it was much more exciting to look at than to tour on. Basically it is a slow boat ride. Our little ones enjoy walking along as much as we do. They like the cow at Cows Icecream. I am always paranoid about them getting too close to the water!!!The public gardens is fun to run in, but it is mostly a stay on the path event except for one area. They enjoy the fountains and the ducks and actually think it is fun to run around the paths and over bridges!! Near there, on the Halifax Commons is a great playground. The Citadel hill is fun too...just running on the grassy slopes. The kids also enjoy the Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History ( near the playground)

My youngest son was 6 when I took him on Theodore and he loved it. The crew gave them a booklet listing Theodore's "friends" to look for in the harbor (e.g., the bridge, the cranes, the submarines, the ferryboat) as they sailed around and the captain invited each child up to the bridge to sit in the captain's chair and "steer" the boat. An alternate harbor tour is the Harbour Hopper tour that does a 1/2 hour land, 1/2 hour water tour on an amphibious watercraft. Kids love driving into the water for the water portion! (My husband and two older sons did the Harbour Hopper tour while youngest son and I sailed on Theodore.)

We found a small playground right on the boardwalk near the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. It has some swings and a climbing "boat."

There is a playground area next the the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic which is central to the cruise terminal (10-15 minutes north). Just up the hill on Barington Street is the "Discovery Centre". Enjoy

Some spending money in the Theodore store (in front of where Theodore docks should provide books and toys to help pass the time on the rest of your cruise.

OK, so I'll admit it. I've been a fan of Theodore for a very long time. I had as much fun as the children with Theodore.

The Theodore stories are good ones with the thread of friendship, loyality, good deeds and kindness.

If you are referring to Saint John, NB, I would suggest the following for 41/2 year old: there is a nice Childrens Section in the public library located in Market Square near the terminals area; you could visit the animals at the Cherry Brook Zoo (about a 10-15 minute cab ride from terminals). There isn't a nearby outdoor public playground but lots of green space in Kings Square to run around. Also a new indoor playground facility has just opened and I hear from friends that young kids love it. It's located at Place 400 on Main Street (called Just Play). It's less than a 5 minute cab ride to there and you could walk but I wouldn't recommend that for a child.

Some spending money in the Theodore store (in front of where Theodore docks should provide books and toys to help pass the time on the rest of your cruise.

OK, so I'll admit it. I've been a fan of Theodore for a very long time. I had as much fun as the children with Theodore.

The Theodore stories are good ones with the thread of friendship, loyality, good deeds and kindness.

I miss Theodore - along with Thomas the Tank Engine. All three of my kids loved them. The youngest (9) now thinks he's too "cool" for them, but he still reminds me of how much he liked sailing on Theodore in Halifax - he likes looking back at the pictures.

Now, the oldest hasn't completely given up on Theodore and his friends either. He's 18 and in his first year at the US Merchant Marine Academy, and called me one Sunday from the deck of a tugboat.:p

Archived