Best Insurance for River Cruising

ging98

We're doing the Danube next year on Scenic. What is the best insurance company we should be looking at? We don't have any health issues - in our early 60's and flying from Wash state. Should we go with the cruise company's insurance suggestions?

If you buy insurance from the cruise company you MAY save money, because some of these policies are not rated based on age. But they are generally restrictive regarding pre-existing coverage, cancel-for-any-reason coverage only gives you a credit against a future cruise [with time limits], and you can't get vendor-default coverage. Third party insurance can be more flexible about all these things. The best I have found is a Travel Agent-only policy from Allianz that includes pre-existing and vendor-default coverage EVEN IF purchased at the time of final payment.

You can compare polices at insuremytrip.com squaremouth.com & insurancestore. I'm told Travel guard is one of the best. We're on a river cruise now & purchased Nationwide from one of these 3 online vendors. Most important to me is cap for evacuation (as $100 k is not unusual to incur), pre-existing conditions (asthmatic), & medical coverage of at least 100k! Figure out what your criteria is then sort through the options.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Also look at what coverage you credit card provides and research how good it is. If I purchase my ticket with my card there is trip delay, lost luggage and other coverage. Never had to use it though. Once you are on Medicare, there is no coverage outside the US so buying health insurance is imperative.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can compare polices at insuremytrip.com squaremouth.com & insurancestore. I'm told Travel guard is one of the best. We're on a river cruise now & purchased Nationwide from one of these 3 online vendors. Most important to me is cap for evacuation (as $100 k is not unusual to incur), pre-existing conditions (asthmatic), & medical coverage of at least 100k! Figure out what your criteria is then sort through the options.

You may have a large evacuation amount, but you are not in charge of whether and how it gets used. It's much better to get MedJet for the evacuation [you decide when and where to go]. Then you can get a cheaper regular policy.

You may have a large evacuation amount, but you are not in charge of whether and how it gets used. It's much better to get MedJet for the evacuation [you decide when and where to go]. Then you can get a cheaper regular policy.

Oh yes, I have that as well. Actually just purchased it so forgot to mention it. Highly recommend!

If we are spend a few days independently before the start of the cruise or at the end of the cruise, we do not buy the insurance offered by the cruise company. Their insurance will not cover the days we are doing outside of the cruise unless the days are part of a pre extension or post extension we have purchased from the cruise line.

Also look at what coverage you credit card provides and research how good it is. If I purchase my ticket with my card there is trip delay, lost luggage and other coverage. Never had to use it though. Once you are on Medicare, there is no coverage outside the US so buying health insurance is imperative.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are Medicare beneficiaries with a Medicare replacement HMO through our pension. That plan will, in fact, reimburse for medical expenses incurred out of the US. While this policy may be uncommon, it is worth investigation any supplemental policy you may have in addition to Medicare.

That stated, we still buy trip insurance for cancellation, default, medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains.