Recent Diamond Princess Chef's Table Experience

dockhl

Hi everyone,

We were wondering, since the Diamond was overhauled and reconfigured last spring for the Asian market, if the Chef's Table has also changed? Specifically, do the menu offerings also reflect this trend to appeal to the Asian clientele?

We've been fortunate to attend other Chef's Tables on the Emerald and the Royal during European cruises and while they were quite good, they were very similar. It would be interesting to experience something a bit different.... perhaps with an Asian flare. That is why I'm asking for some feedback concerning the "new" Diamond Princess.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
It is frustrating. There are not a lot of responses on Cruise Critic about the Diamond and, specifically, Asian cruises. Someone has to write a great review with lots of pictures.

I promise to do one next January assuming this damn dvt thing I now have settles down.

We were on the Diamond in Australia/NZ January 2015, right after her makeover and there was still a chef's dinner and it was terrific as usual. Executive Chef was Nilo Palma. It did not have an Asian flair. We heard from the crew that when the ship was in Asia, there were many more Asian employees and announcements were made in different languages. We did notice many Asian additions to the buffet areas, ramen station, etc., but the dining room food was the usual. Maybe because we were in Australia. The new sushi restaurant was very good and they had a nice deal at lunch.

Edited by pppatpc2

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone,

We were wondering, since the Diamond was overhauled and reconfigured last spring for the Asian market, if the Chef's Table has also changed? Specifically, do the menu offerings also reflect this trend to appeal to the Asian clientele?

We've been fortunate to attend other Chef's Tables on the Emerald and the Royal during European cruises and while they were quite good, they were very similar. It would be interesting to experience something a bit different.... perhaps with an Asian flare. That is why I'm asking for some feedback concerning the "new" Diamond Princess.

Mike

Hi Mike,

We were lucky enough to take part in the Chef's Table on 14 April (Diamond cruise Singapore to Yokohama).

Executive Chef was Nilo Palma. The food was divine! No discernable Asian or Japanese slant on the food style - more French inspired. Here's a sample of the menu:

Cream of chilled vichyssoise with lobster tail & keta

Confit of pheasant scented with anise & finished with horseradish mascarpone

Parmesan & sesame tuile with asparagus & tomato

Warm escargot brochette

Chilean king scallops seared with spicy chorizo with flavours of apple, truffle & pomegranate

Wild strawberry & black pepper sorbet

A symphony of furred and feathered, surf & turf

Angels on horseback

Crunchy chocolate & coffee bar with mocha cream

Petit fours

+ 4 different wines

Of course, the menu might well change with the current changeover to a more Japanese passenger oriented ship.

Call me ignorant but what is the Chef's Table? Is it like a specialty restaurant or for Elite passengers only?

Actually neither it is a dinner, usually served in the kitchen, by the chef himself, limited to about a dozen people about $100 with matched wine, includes a cookbook, many rave about it, but if you have dietary restrictions they aren't always too good about it, dome chefs are better than other about that.

Sounds like an expensive way to find out whether the head chef can actually cook.

Many love it, I've been told you get about $40 of wine the cookbook sells for $35 and many love the feed. So I guess like many things on a cruise it's whatever floats your boat.