Getaway AFT facing balconies

kjmvacation

Trying to do research on which Aft facing balconies would work best for my wife and I on the Getaway. Loved the large balcony on the 9th deck we had last cruise, but thought we'd enjoy an aft view. After researching pictures of aft balconies, it appears they may be totally covered, and not exposed to the sun like the large balconies on the 9th deck forward. Worried about feeling we are looking through a tunnel. Could anyone confirm which decks the aft balconies on the getaway have the most sun exposure... Or even what the difference is between the aft balconies on different decks?

We had an aft balcony on floor 9 and depending on what time of day, the sun was shining on the balcony, but it was almost complete covered. I also worried about it feeling like a tunnel, but was pleasantly surprised at the open feeling. We loved the location/ balcony so much we are booked in the same room in April (9318) and the room next door in April 2017...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had an aft balcony on floor 9 and depending on what time of day, the sun was shining on the balcony, but it was almost complete covered. I also worried about it feeling like a tunnel, but was pleasantly surprised at the open feeling. We loved the location/ balcony so much we are booked in the same room in April (9318) and the room next door in April 2017...

We are booked in 9920 (aft balcony), but some complained about noise coming from the MDR on deck 8. Just wondering if you found it a problem in the evening hours.

Thanks, R

We were in 12906 on the Breakaway. It was a nice mix of sun and shade, depending on the time of day. I would get an Aft again in a heartbeat—it's a shame they're often sold at quite a premium over a normal balcony.

The higher up you go, the more noise you will hear from Spice H20. I imagine it would be less noisy on 9, and you'll have somewhat bigger balconies, though you will have the overhand over the Waterfront to contend with (not that I imagine it would be much of a problem).

We are booked in 9920 (aft balcony), but some complained about noise coming from the MDR on deck 8. Just wondering if you found it a problem in the evening hours.

Thanks, R

We heard absolutely nothing from below. As someone mentioned, we could hear music from Spice H2O one night, but that happened to be the same night they did the fireworks (which they no longer do) so they turned up the volume to be heard over those, and never turned it back down. We didn't mind it so much though.

We are booked in 9320 for our trip in April'17, I'm hoping the layout is the same as 9318 (bed by the balcony) because that worked out well for the 3 of us!

Enjoy your trip!

We had room 9320 in December you will love it.

The bed is by the balcony. Enjoy your cruise.

G. Rooker

Thanks so much, grooker. We have sailed on mega ships before (Disney Dream), but we have always stayed mid-ship in an upper deck. Our only concern with the aft balcony was that it would feel removed from everything, or that everything would be a long walk. Did you (or anyone) experience this? Thanks.

We found the aft rooms much quieter. The Getaway is 1083 ft long.

It does take a few minutes to walk from the aft to the bow or forward

to the theater for example. You are maybe about 200 feet from the aft

stairways and elevators. You do have a little more motion in the aft which

we enjoy. I would say once you go aft you don't go back. Enjoy.

G. Rooker

To everyone Thanks for sharing your experiences. Does anyone have any photos to share?

ImageUploadedByForums1452832557.922598.jpg.4fa07875e41b0019a68dbe7e82280c13.jpg

We were in 11308 on the getaway. I LOVED my balcony and would get it again. We had breakfast out there and dinner too. For me, very relaxing to hear the water while laying there. Great place to hang if you have other family members or friends on board with you. We had a suite, so it was a corner balcony. Sometimes there was sun and sometimes there wasn't. I laid out a few times to tan though. Sorry I don't have more pics. O and noise was never an issue for us.

Here are a few pics from 9318...

When we first got on the ship, they had the loungers/chairs set up like this...

20140503_130922-1.jpg

We moved things around a bit to see what worked for us...

DSCF0626.jpg

Early evening reading on the balcony

20140505_183617.jpg

View from inside the room looking out while we were in port in Miami

20140503_131723_2.jpg

the best part of having an aft balcony is enjoying the sound of the wake!

20140505_134535.jpg

We have our parents booked in 9320 and 9920 on the January 31st sailing. Really looking forward to spending some time on these balconies. We have a family oceanview for ourselves so we will have to take advantage of our parents' large aft balconies whenever possible.

• 4 months later...
We were in 12906 on the Breakaway. It was a nice mix of sun and shade, depending on the time of day. I would get an Aft again in a heartbeat—it's a shame they're often sold at quite a premium over a normal balcony.

The higher up you go, the more noise you will hear from Spice H20. I imagine it would be less noisy on 9, and you'll have somewhat bigger balconies, though you will have the overhand over the Waterfront to contend with (not that I imagine it would be much of a problem).

Hello - we are considering booking an aft balcony on 12 and were concerned about noise from night club - did you notice it during your stay? thx

Hello - we are considering booking an aft balcony on 12 and were concerned about noise from night club - did you notice it during your stay? thx

We had 12904 (H6) on Breakaway and you could definitely hear music from above if outside. However, once the balcony door was closed and locked, not a sound. I was amazed at the difference.