Freestyle Dining advice?

We are onboard the Getaway in July (Me, my Husband and 5 year old son) and though we've cruised before-- we've never done freestyle dining before. I would love your advice... because I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the options but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on something amazing!

We did get a Specialty Dining package with our booking for 3 specialty restaurants. Do you recommend making our reservations now? What places are "MUST-EATS"? Is it easy to get in the complimentary dining rooms each night or do I need to make reservations ahead of time for those too? I like the idea of being able to go eat when we want, I'm just curious on how this plays out in reality.

Thanks for any advice!

Complementary MDRs have lots of room (there are 3 of them). Seldom any wait for them. The buffet is huge. For specialty, the Getaway does seem to be a bit lacking in their size, considering the size of the ship. LeBistro is probably our favorite on all the ships. Do reserve it as early as possible. Moderno is great for a meat eater, and it has an excellent salad bar. Cagneys is the steak place, its good, but my steaks I cook are even better. La Cuchina is good for Italian, but on the Getaway their's has twice not been as good as the other ships we've been on. Maybe it has improved. If it hasn't been converted yet, on deck 16 above the buffet is an excellent grill for Cuban lunch. As you said, lots of food options, both free and specialty. The Getaway is big, but very pretty (I think) and a very nice crew).

If you want an look at the Getaway, here's way too many unedited pictures I took a year or so ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Freestyle dinging is GREAT!

Teppanyaki and Cagney's are the most popular and will sell out of reservations during prime time dining quickly. Monderno is great if you like Brazilian BBQs with all-you-can-eat meat. Book 90 days in advance of your cruise. NCL holds tables for on-board booking,,,,, but that means booking as soon as you get on board.

The wait at the MDR is never bad. Think about getting into your favorite diner at peak lunch time,,, 10 minute wait tops. Normally, you'll walk right in. The Tropicana room is slightly more formal,,, but nothing fancy. Make a point of dining in all three MDRs and O'Shehans. The buffet is huge along with the Flamingo buffet one floor up (soon to be converted to a extra-pay Margaritaville restaurant).

The GA is a good ship. We have sailed on the GA, BA, and Escape 2 time each. Don't for get to try the ropes course and water slides!

Edited by BirdTravels

Cagneys: Crab cake, New York Strip, Sea Bass

Ocean Blue: Chowder, stone crab, grouper

Le Bistro: Coq au Vin, Bouillabaise

La Cucina: Minnestrone, Osso Bucco, Penne dish

Teppanyaki: kind of a pale copy of Benihana, if you like that style, you might like it it.

Complementary MDRs have lots of room (there are 3 of them). Seldom any wait for them. The buffet is huge. For specialty, the Getaway does seem to be a bit lacking in their size, considering the size of the ship. LeBistro is probably our favorite on all the ships. Do reserve it as early as possible. Moderno is great for a meat eater, and it has an excellent salad bar. Cagneys is the steak place, its good, but my steaks I cook are even better. La Cuchina is good for Italian, but on the Getaway their's has twice not been as good as the other ships we've been on. Maybe it has improved. If it hasn't been converted yet, on deck 16 above the buffet is an excellent grill for Cuban lunch. As you said, lots of food options, both free and specialty. The Getaway is big, but very pretty (I think) and a very nice crew).

If you want an look at the Getaway, here's way too many unedited pictures I took a year or so ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Thank you for the advice! I will try to make my specialty reservations now! And thanks so much for sharing the pics!

Freestyle dinging is GREAT!

Teppanyaki and Cagney's are the most popular and will sell out of reservations during prime time dining quickly. Monderno is great if you like Brazilian BBQs with all-you-can-eat meat. Book 90 days in advance of your cruise. NCL holds tables for on-board booking,,,,, but that means booking as soon as you get on board.

The wait at the MDR is never bad. Think about getting into your favorite diner at peak lunch time,,, 10 minute wait tops. Normally, you'll walk right in. The Tropicana room is slightly more formal,,, but nothing fancy. Make a point of dining in all three MDRs and O'Shehans. The buffet is huge along with the Flamingo buffet one floor up (soon to be converted to a extra-pay Margaritaville restaurant).

The GA is a good ship. We have sailed on the GA, BA, and Escape 2 time each. Don't for get to try the ropes course and water slides!

Thank you for the advice! I think my son would really enjoy the teppenyaki! I was thinking doing either Moderno or Cagneys as a date night with just adults. Hubby is excited about the ropes course! I'm just ready to sit on deck with a drink in my hand!

Cagneys: Crab cake, New York Strip, Sea Bass

Ocean Blue: Chowder, stone crab, grouper

Le Bistro: Coq au Vin, Bouillabaise

La Cucina: Minnestrone, Osso Bucco, Penne dish

Teppanyaki: kind of a pale copy of Benihana, if you like that style, you might like it it.

You are making me hungry!!! I hope we can fit it all in!

Thank you for the advice! I think my son would really enjoy the teppenyaki! I was thinking doing either Moderno or Cagneys as a date night with just adults. Hubby is excited about the ropes course! I'm just ready to sit on deck with a drink in my hand!

We're not the sit in the sun all day, every day types.

During the day, we'll grab a drink and sit on the waterfront and watch the sea go by. There are lounge chairs (always in high demand) or the tables for the restaurants open at night,,, which makes lovely seating.

Your son would love Teppanayki! Do make reservations now to avoid being dissapointed if they are booked. You can also call NCL to make res. if the times you see are not avail online. The reps can make reservations at alternative times. :) Le Bistro and Cagneys are awesome also! Your son might also like trying the foods at Moderno if he is an adventurous eater- but thay can also get him a kids meal anywhere you go! :)

Since date night has been mentioned, send the 5 year old to Splash Academy and use all the specialty nights for you and your hubby. Who paid for this thing after all? Seriously though, freestyle is great and we have never booked restaurants until getting on the ship. The hibachi is the only one that books up solid due to limited seating and the cooking has to be scheduled. I personally dont like to book too far in advance because who knows what kind of mood I will be in Thursday night 2 weeks from now.