Viking cruise ship Sky

Denise 53

Need advice, have been booked on Viking Sky DV 4 cabin 4055, wondering if this cabin is affected by any noises from below from the life boats below cabin?

Alternatively, is the upgrade to a PV worth the extra expense?

Lifeboats are secured in a still position onboard. The ONLY time you might ever hear noise from them would be if they are taken down for a safety drill or for some other unknown and unusual reason. I would have NO concern at all about the lifeboats in relation to this verandah cabin. There are cabins above and below this cabin. My expectation is that this would be a well-located and quiet cabin. The only advantage of PV is that it is a higher category cabin - larger and more amenities like a bottle of champagne - but for the money, I think a verandah is great! I would stick with that if I were you and I bet you will be glad you did!

• 2 weeks later...

Having done a Viking Cruise on Star, I can tell you that unless you have to tender or there is major emergency, the lifeboats won't be moving. If you are in a DV over a V cabin, IMHO you have already paid too much. The few perks you get are not worth the extra money. You need to drink a lot of coffee(of course it is included in a room service delivery), we brought our own binoculars and saved a lot more than we would have spent for the upgrade, You can probably refill the fridge for a lot less than the upgrade and you will stay warm(even if it is not a cashmere blanket). We didn't miss a single included excursion(but one time we didn't get our first choice on time) and were able to get the one paid excursion we wanted, We could not make advanced reservations for the specialty restaurants until we boarded but ate in them 7 of the 14 nights on board. We were on deck 3 but no one got to the port ahead of us and we all saw the same things(from different vantage points) from our verandas. Finally, these two classes of cabins are identical in size so there is no advantage there.

When you get to the the next size up you really start to get a few worthwhile amenities but you should when you consider how much your cruise price has increased. Since so many things are included in Viking's fare I would stay where you are. The line is so destination oriented that the money you save on your cabin can be used to enhance your on shore experience.