Has anyone gone on a cheapie with Island Escape and enjoyed it???

With all the expense of moving/buying new furniture etc. we didn't think we could afford a cruise until the end of the Summer season.

However, we are now seriously considering a Spring break on the Island Escape - we really like the look of the itinerary.

I know that it won't be what we are used to on Dream or Majesty but has anyone had a cheap trip on IE and enjoyed it?

Thanks.

Hi campolady

Kept putting off going on IE for years - only because Thomson ships kept coming up with itineraries we liked. However, 3 years ago we decided we must do it and enjoyed every minute. No formal nights to worry about but smart casual was very much in evidence throughout the ship in the evenings and we commented that in some cases the passengers were better dressed than on Thomson. (We have been with Thomson since 1989 but did notice a few of years back that, in some cases, the dress code dipped and left a lot to be desired).

We returned to IE again last year and at the moment I am keeping a watch on an itinerary for September.:D

If you want more detailed information it is better to go to the Island Cruises forum. Although the ship is laid up and the forum is quiet at the moment it will soon be time for all those going to start asking questions. There are some regulars on there who have never been on any other ship. Sadly, there are also those who are knowledgeable about, and well travelled on, IE but have defected to facebook and rarely contribute now.

As well as popping in here I hope you will join in on the Island Cruises forum.:)

Loved every minute.

Very relaxed, like people say no formal night, but smart casual not out of place, most of the staff on board work on all the Thomson ships and this ship appears to have more repeat customers than any other of the ships.

Would definitely do it again

• 1 month later...
Thanks everyone.

Have just booked a week on IE from 26th May.

Going with a totally open mind fully intending to enjoy the experience - we really wanted to visit Elba.

Hi campolady

Just read you've booked IE. I know I suggested way back in February that you try Island Cruises forum for more information on IE and have been waiting on you booking. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I booked for October just a couple of weeks ago just before it was announced that this would be IE's last season.:D

Hope you're now settled in your new home and everything is going ok for you both.:)

We've been on the IE 3 times. We had AI for the first time last year and we were impressed at the quality of the drinks compared to other cruise ships with AI. The staff are always friendly and the food is really quite good but some people don't like not having waiter service. We ate in the Beachcomber mosly. Everything is easy to find on the ship which is nice. We try and get a cabin on the higher decks and pay the upgrade as the lowest decks have a porthole and there is a lot of traffic with the crew passing through and passengers disembarking. Having said that I don't think we would cruise in the summer holidays for obvious reasons, it gets a bit too lively for us. Last time we hardly spent anything as we know how to diy in the ports and drinks were included.:):)

Jan

Like Jan we have been on IE 3 times....first time for just a week to try it out and loved it.... so did two fortnights the following two years, booking as late as we dare!

we had outside cabins on Deck 6 midships and were very comfortable...ate in the Island Restaurant which is still self serve but the tables have tablecloths and the waiters serve coffee, drinks etc. We also dined in the speciality restaurant which is full waiter service but there is a cover charge of around £15.00 per person.

Entertainment was superb with Ross Roberts as the Cruise Director but I don't know if he is still there.... or if he has the same brilliant team working for him.

If you go with an open mind I'm sure you wont be disappointed :)

• 3 weeks later...

I expect this is too late for you but we went on Island Escape about 4 times. I'm afraid it gradually became less smart but we loved the atmosphere and friendliness of staff and passengers. The best was a very last minute trip called something like Mediterranean Spirit. We saw 3 volcanoes, Etna, Stromboli, which was erupting, at night, and the sun rising over Vesuvius. Will never forget it. We thought that when it became all inclusive, it would be terrible but in fact there were less heavy drinkers around having larger for breakfast to make the most of the dreaded drinks package. So, hope you took a chance and enjoyed!!

So sorry Campolady you've had to cancel your cruise and bad news about only getting 30% of the cost back from Thompsons would have thought they could have let you have a voucher to use on another cruise when hubby is fit enough. Do hope he's making a good, if slow, recovery and you can get a cruise in before the end of the summer.