Norfolk Island

wally_bushy

Has this slipped through the crack or does no-one know :(

We have been to Norfolk Island half a dozen times in May but only flown in and out

From what I remember cargo ships seem to either go to Cascades Bay or Kingston which are on oppersite sides of the island, depending on the wave and wind movement as they unload the ships by large lighters so it would be luck of the draw as to where a ship would anchor

Kingston would be closer to Emily bay which would be the place to swim

From what I hear from my cousin who lives there most cruise ships don't stop due to poor weather and the waves as Norfolk is a fairly long tender ride to reach the shore

Hope that is a little help for you?

http://www.discovernorfolkisland.com/norfolk/beach.html

http://www.tinshedsnorfolkisland.com/map--activities.html

Edited by Thecat123

Thanks for the reply

Are you (or rather your cousin) suggesting they plan to stop and tender in but often are unable to?

Steve

That's correct

One year we were up there the supermarket was running out of products due to the poor weather as the ship wasn't able to unload but that was May Summer you might have better odds though

Norfolk Island needs the tourists

That's correct

One year we were up there the supermarket was running out of products due to the poor weather as the ship wasn't able to unload but that was May Summer you might have better odds though

Norfolk Island needs the tourists

Yep. Often seen days when they could couldn't land provisions.

Not sure where they would tender but sure to be within walking distance, because pretty much everything is.

You must be talking a different Norfolk Island that I know as I would hate to walk from Cascades Wharf to anywhere. I can't see them changing anything since May this year when we were there last :)

Emily Bay is reasonably close to the Kingston Wharf but still a bit of a hike and one wouldn't want to try and walk into the town from Kingston

There is a glass bottom boat which will take you out to a reef which is fairly close to the shore

The town is kinda in the middle of the island but still a long way from both wharves and one still needs a car when one is staying on the island to get around

Have a closer look at that map I linked as everything is further than it looks :)

You must be talking a different Norfolk Island that I know as I would hate to walk from Cascades Wharf to anywhere. I can't see them changing anything since May this year when we were there last :)

Emily Bay is reasonably close to the Kingston Wharf but still a bit of a hike and one wouldn't want to try and walk into the town from Kingston

There is a glass bottom boat which will take you out to a reef which is fairly close to the shore

The town is kinda in the middle of the island but still a long way from both wharves and one still needs a car when one is staying on the island to get around

Have a closer look at that map I linked as everything is further than it looks :)

1. The question was about snorkeling and I can't see hoe you could walk to somewhere for that from either dock.

2. We usually stay at Kingston and DW walks into town everyday, for a coffee.

1. The question was about snorkeling and I can't see hoe you could walk to somewhere for that from either dock.

Thats why I mentioned Emily Bay and the glass bottom boat as its quite close to Kingston Wharf

From one of the links I posted

Emily Bay

Emily is the safest swimming spot on the Island, in fact its probably one of the safest swimming spots in the world. The sparkling crystal clear waters of Emily are protected from the breakers and the southern ocean by a reef just off the Lone Pine headland. The beach is popular among families with young ones and if your looking for the ideal daily swim spot or somewhere calm for a snorkelling adventure then Emily is your best bet. There is a pontoon in the bay that makes for a nice breather while getting that daily swim in.

Slaughter Bay

On a calm day, Slaughter Bay is a great spot for snorkelling and if the swell is right the waves pick up nicely for a surf on the reef. The marine life on the reef is abundant with colourful tropical fish quite common among the coral.

And check the map to see how close it is as the reef is off Slaughter Bay which part of the reef reaches Kingston Pier

Close to me

Edited by Thecat123