Australia to South Asia experiences requested.....

Looking ahead to 2018 I am interested in hearing about your cruise(s) from Australia to South Asia or the reverse.

In 2013 we spent ten weeks in New Zealand and Australia, then boarded our first cruise ship, Rhapsody Of The Seas leaving from Sydney to Hawaii.

We are hoping to return to Australia and New Zealand in 2018, and maybe combining a trip to South Asia before or after. I really do not like long flights, much prefer traveling by ship.

We have cruised with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, so either of those would be good.

We are leaving for Africa in a couple of weeks but my mind is in Australia.

TIA :)

We travelled on the Carnival Spirit after its Dry Dock in Singapore where we had 4 nights pre cruise.

It was a 16 night cruise stopping at Bali, Lombok, Darwin, Yorkeys Knob, Brisbane and Sydney. It was in August last year and the weather was fantastic, nice and warm without being too hot.

We tend to travel overseas so we did get a chance to see a bit more of Australia. The highlight was the scenery around the tip of Queensland the ship travelled quite close to the shore through the picturesque Great Barrier Reef the colour of the water was amazing.

I don't know if it was something you had though about but we are going on our 2nd cruise to Papua New Guinea from Brisbane next year stopping at 7 ports, the Islands are Stunning, the Volcano at Rabaul fascinating, and it is relatively untouched by tourism.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The highlight was the scenery around the tip of Queensland the ship travelled quite close to the shore through the picturesque Great Barrier Reef the colour of the water was amazing.

I agree. We travelled around Australia on a Princess ship which also sailed this route. This stretch is wonderful. They had a pilot who did narration about the history of early exploration. Very interesting.

Given all the world trouble these days I am finding Asia the safest place to visit with plenty of cruising options. I particularly love Diamond Princess and Japan but have also traveled to other parts of Asia. I think Singapore is a brilliant pace to board cruises. The city has great infrastructure for transport and there is no language barrier. Hong Kong is another major port I will look into booking cruises from.

I will go on cruises that visit China but I would probably avoid a cruise that either departs from or finishes in China mainly because of the visa requirements and the language barrier. I can speak Japanese which is why I am so in love with visiting there.

Between Australia and Asia I have cruise with P&O UK during their world cruise program as I found some of the itineraries quite vast and expansive. If I fly there I prefer Princess.

take note that with the Asian ports, the dock is , in many cases, not close to the major city eg Port Klang is a 2 hour drive from Kuala Lumpur, Laem Chabang is 1.5 hours from Bangkok (closer to Pattaya), Phu My is 1.5 hours away from Ho Chi Minh City.

• 1 month later...

We recently did 26 days from Fremantle to SE Asia and return on Sea Princess. Visited 6 different countries and 11 ports showing very different sides to Asia, from the sophistication/wealth in Singapore to some of the more developing areas such as Lombok in Indonesia and Sihanoukville in Cambodia and tourist hot-spots such as Phuket, Koh Samui & Bali + everything in between.

Take a look at some of the recent CC reviews for Sea Princess for the trip - they are pretty much spot on and how we saw things.