Infinity South America

sandy1020

Has anyone done this cruise on both Celebrity and Princess and can compare? I am looking to book for next years' season, sometime between Dec. 2017 and Feb. 2018. I'm interested in sailing Valparaiso to BA. I compared prices on the Emerald Princess in a premium aft balcony and Infinity in a standard balcony. Celebrity costs almost $1000 more per person than the deal I can get from Princess with current promotions.

Is this itinerary worth $1000 more on Celebrity in your opinion? The ports visited are the number one criteria in comparing cruises for us.

We did the Infinity from Florida to Valparaiso. It was a wonderful cruise. We changed to the Star Princess the next day around to Rio. Cost & itinerary was the major reason. If we had stayed on the Infinity the price tripled because it was over a holiday period. We enjoyed both cruises but we were pleased that we changed ships as the itinerary was much better on the Star.

Falkland and the Penguins is a great port....but the weather is unpredictable so many ships have to skip the port. However I would opt for princess itinerary which is better IMHO and less money. That's a win, win for you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did the Infinity from Florida to Valparaiso. It was a wonderful cruise. We changed to the Star Princess the next day around to Rio. Cost & itinerary was the major reason. If we had stayed on the Infinity the price tripled because it was over a holiday period. We enjoyed both cruises but we were pleased that we changed ships as the itinerary was much better on the Star.

The other difference is the size of the ships. Emerald has 3000 pax, Infinity has 2000. I prefer a smaller ship overall but the price gap is just so big. My cruise TA says one reason is Celebrity doesn't allow discounting and Princess does. Also, deposit on Princess is $200, on Celebrity it is $900. I don't mind tying up $200 for 16 months.

• 1 month later...
The other difference is the size of the ships. Emerald has 3000 pax, Infinity has 2000. I prefer a smaller ship overall but the price gap is just so big. My cruise TA says one reason is Celebrity doesn't allow discounting and Princess does. Also, deposit on Princess is $200, on Celebrity it is $900. I don't mind tying up $200 for 16 months.

I decided for now to put up the $200 deposit on the Emerald Princess sailing Feb. 14, 2018. I got a premium aft balcony cabin in a great location. I'm paying $5068 for the cabin plus $385 OBC and prepaid grats. The best deal my TA could get for Infinity sailing March 8, 2018 is $5772 for Outside with $425 Non refundable OBC and pick one perk or $7317 balcony with $575 non refundable OBC and pick one perk. I'd have to put up $900 deposit.

I wish Celebrity would just allow discounting. I would never be using that much credit as I never take ship excursions and don't drink much. I think Celebrity has a better product but the cost is just too high.

I have plenty of time to monitor the prices as it will be a while before I can get airline award tickets. I can always change my mind as long as the plane tickets haven't been issued.