QM2 mobile phones and internet

LillianB

I know this has probably been answered several times but I can't fine an up to date thread. Does anyone know the best way to use mobile phones and internet whilst at sea? Necessary to keep in touch as we have an elderly father who is not well.

I know this has probably been answered several times but I can't fine an up to date thread. Does anyone know the best way to use mobile phones and internet whilst at sea? Necessary to keep in touch as we have an elderly father who is not well.

Your best bet is to purchase the QM2 internet package. If you've sailed with them before as a Gold Member you get 2 hour complementary, as a Platinum member you get 4 hours.

If you have a package for internet you will be phone.

Otherwise you can pay to use internet on board at Cunard Conexions.

Do not make any phone calls on board otherwise you will be hit with expensive roaming charges.

You can try and make calls at port.

Here's a Cruise Critic link with more information:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

Jonathan

Get an iPhone 7 (or even just a 6). It can make wifi calls (to any landline/cell phone) and uses iMessage for texts (to other Apple products). Then all you need is internet connectivity onboard (included amenity or purchased). BTW, wifi calling uses about 1 MB data/minute of call.

OR check with your cruise line to see if they have an "XXXXX@Sea" satellite deal with your regular provider (e.g., AT&T, Vodaphone, etc.). You then purchase connectivity which allows calling at sea at a "discounted" rate.

Your regular cell service provider will also have international roaming packages for onshore use. That provides your usual "voice" and text and (optional) data at reduced "international roaming" rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums