Fjords excursion help please

blumfette

We're going on a Fjords cruise in a few weeks and although we have decided on going to the canning and oil museums in Stavanger we're not sure about the other ports. I've had a look at the ports of call section but it's quite overwhelming so would really appreciate it if anyone had any ideas on what to do in Skjolden, Geiranger & Bergen.

Maybe the funicular at Bergen? Would we need to go to the tourist office to get tickets or get them at the funicular if we go mid-morning?

Thanks in advance

J

Hi we got the hoho bus just off the shuttle bus in Bergen and did a 50min circuit of the town. We bought the hoho ticket and funicular ticket together and saved 35nok on the funicular ticket (normally 85nok £7.50). Try and get off the ship early - the queue for funicular tickets builds up throughout the day. Worth going up there - it's a short walk to the funicular from the drop off or the first stop on the hoho bus.

Stavanger was my favourite port - museums all near the ship and loads of shops. We wandered around for 3 hours or so then came across a sleek looking ferry across the quay from the ship. We booked for 340nok each and had the most fabulous trip down the fjord - can't recommend it enough - just less than 3 hours.

In Bergen I would agree go to the Floybanen (funicular) early as the queue soon develops. On top there are magnificent views, a cafe (not brill but at least you can get a drink and use the facilities) and some lovely trails through the park land. Worth a wander. Of course there is the Bryggen on the waterfront - the restored wharf buildings which are also worth exploring. Don't just look from the front, go down the alleys to get a real feel of the days from the past. The market on the Harbour is also interesting.

In Geiranger if you're happy to walk, we have a favourite hike but it is quite strenuous, uphill and rough tracks up to the Westeras Farm where there is a cafe with a terrace with the most magnificent views and great waffles! If you ask for a walking map at the tourist office when you arrive you will see the trail marked - I think it's #13. You walk out of the village about half a mile I'd guess past the beautiful octagonal church and the sign is marked to the left. It's a well worn trail with red paint splodges on rocks and trees so you won't get lost. Eventually the wooded area opens out and you'll see the farm (old barn) above you. It takes about an hour give or take. You will need decent trainers, walking sandals or shoes though. If you want an easier route although still uphill of course you can follow the road until you see the grassy track signed Westeras on your left. The farm is at the end. One of our best memories of Norway. On the way down we use the road then strike off right towards the Museum. We didn't go in but stopped there for a drink then walked back down to the village via the new steps which run alongside a picturesque waterfall for quite some distance. Beautiful spot!

On our first visit my wife really enjoyed the arts & crafts shops in Stavanger. Unfortunately our next visit was on a Sunday and although a lot of souvenir shops were open the interesting ones weren't.

We were then disappointed when P&O changed the itinerary order for our last visit so that Stavanger was on a Sunday again. We took the "Tropical flora of Norway" tour and it turned out to be a great decision. It was one of the best tours we've been on and is highly recommended for anyone who likes gardens.

Just back from a cruise on Britannia including stops at Berhen and Stavanger.

We had been to Bergen before, and on that visit, we walked up the mountain to the top of the funicular, as there were queues when we visited. Took about an hour, we are in our sixties but reasonably fit, and the well marked route through the woods is a zigzag slow incline rather than a climb, with great views over the city. This visit, we just wandered around town. Head down the alleyways between the old buildings in the Bryggen to appreciate how people lived. Some interesting shops in the old buildings, including one selling beautifully embroidered linens. However, when I enquired as to whether the items were made in Norway, I was told 'mainly'! They were certainly priced as made in Norway!

There is also a very pretty area between the McDonalds near the funicular station and the main rail station. Lots of old wooden buildings, cobbled streets and interesting shops.

We avoided the fish market as best we could, but still saw signs advertising whale meat. One shop had a t shirt in the window with the slogan, ' if we had dolphins, we would kill them too!' Not the best encouragement to spend money in the country!

Stavanger was nicer than expected. We had planned to visit the Petroleum Musuem, but just looking round town used up all our time ashore. The old town by the ship docking area was very pretty and worth a wander around. The main shopping area between the waterfront and the petroleum museum is very interesting, cobbled streets, more old wooden buildings and interesting shops. Head to the library / cinema complex in the centre, for fast free wifi. There is a cafe in the complex, called R/X xpress, which does good coffee, wonderful cinnamon buns and has clean toilets for customer use. And the library wifi works in there, too!

Have a fun trip

On our first visit my wife really enjoyed the arts & crafts shops in Stavanger. Unfortunately our next visit was on a Sunday and although a lot of souvenir shops were open the interesting ones weren't.

We were then disappointed when P&O changed the itinerary order for our last visit so that Stavanger was on a Sunday again. We took the "Tropical flora of Norway" tour and it turned out to be a great decision. It was one of the best tours we've been on and is highly recommended for anyone who likes gardens.

I agree, the gardens are beautiful. when i went it poured down all day :(

Thats Norway for you!

Hi we got the hoho bus just off the shuttle bus in Bergen and did a 50min circuit of the town. We bought the hoho ticket and funicular ticket together and saved 35nok on the funicular ticket (normally 85nok £7.50). Try and get off the ship early - the queue for funicular tickets builds up throughout the day. Worth going up there - it's a short walk to the funicular from the drop off or the first stop on the hoho bus.

Stavanger was my favourite port - museums all near the ship and loads of shops. We wandered around for 3 hours or so then came across a sleek looking ferry across the quay from the ship. We booked for 340nok each and had the most fabulous trip down the fjord - can't recommend it enough - just less than 3 hours.

We are also thinking of doing the funicular ride, it is advertised on our personaliser as £39 for an adult but we are thinking of doing it ourselves, is it just a case of walking off the ship for a short walk to the funicular and purchasing the tickets there ?

I understand it is best to get there early to avoid the queues.

You can buy the tickets for the funicular in the tourist office on the quayside which will mean you avoid the long queues

And whilst you're there ask for the free walking trail map of the park at the top of the funicular.

You can buy the tickets for the funicular in the tourist office on the quayside which will mean you avoid the long queues

I agree that this trip is well worth doing. There may be long queues but in my experience they moved fairly quickly.

If you have the time in Bergen and it is of interest to you, a trip to Greig's house was really good and included a short recital, although this was on a Celebrity cruise so you may not have the opportunity.

Yes. Bergen is an industrial port so they shuttle you off the ship and drop you in a central area. The funicular is no more than 10mins away. The tickets are 85nok (11.07 nok to £1). We liked Bergen - lovely buildings.

Yes. Bergen is an industrial port so they shuttle you off the ship and drop you in a central area.

Depends on where the ship berths as to whether a shuttle is needed.

If the ship docks at the Bontelabo then that's just a few minutes walk from the Bryggen and the Funicular so no shuttle needed.

We found the funicular was quieter in the afternoon. In the morning the queue was out of the terminal and down the street.

Edited by Dryce

Thanks for the replies. Lots to think about. I think we'll definitely try the hoho bus and funicular in Bergen. Just got to figure out the other two ports now. I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe on here) that in one of the ports there isn't much to do if not going on an excursion but typically I can't remember which one. Maybe Geiranger?

Stavanger was my first port of call during my first cruise on the Azura.

The first day at sea I was like a little kid discovering how big the ship was and I can remember sailing into Stavanger watching as we sailed straight into dock in middle of town only to find out it was a public holiday and everything was SHUT.:mad:

Maybe the funicular at Bergen? Would we need to go to the tourist office to get tickets or get them at the funicular if we go mid-morning?

Thanks in advance

J

If you're shuttled into Bergen you are dropped off near a central square, which has museums all round it for if the weather's bad. In the shopping district between the square/fish market/funicular there is a small shopping mall, which has a café on the 4th or 5th floor. The coffee here is reasonably priced (for Norway) and if you have filter coffee from the counter jugs, a refill is free (or it was a couple of years ago). Also a good place for a comfort stop.

We bought the funicular tickets at the tourist office but they would only sell us return trip. We wish we had bought a single at the funicular instead because the walk down looked do pretty. Next time we are going to just walk up and down. The paths are lovely and looks so pretty through the woods. We did spend a couple of hours walking around and taking in the views. The person at the tourist office said if you can see the top from the town then worth doing. If it is covered in clouds u will see nothing!

We enjoyed the HoHo bus in Bergen, but on a misty day it may not be worth doing the funicular. We went up and we couldn't see anything! DH had been before and he said it's great on a clear day.

The queues do build up. We were there for the second or third trip of the morning and it was fairly busy, when we came down again it was manic!

We bought the funicular tickets at the tourist office but they would only sell us return trip. We wish we had bought a single at the funicular instead because the walk down looked do pretty. Next time we are going to just walk up and down. The paths are lovely and looks so pretty through the woods. We did spend a couple of hours walking around and taking in the views. The person at the tourist office said if you can see the top from the town then worth doing. If it is covered in clouds u will see nothing!

The tickets are < £8!

We were in Bergen last week on Azura. Walked from the ship into town. We were at the funicular at 8.45. Well worth getting there early as there was a long queue when we got back. Also interesting ride on the hoho bus and was glad of the blankets provided as it was freezing!

Hi Spideygirl,

Yes, definitely worth walking up and down again. We visited on a Sunday and met lots of Norwegian families with kids of all ages walking up to enjoy the view. Also lots of runners! It took us about an hour to walk up, rather less to make our way down again, and no queuing! We met one of the ships officers who had run up to the top and back.

Hi Spideygirl,

Yes, definitely worth walking up and down again. We visited on a Sunday and met lots of Norwegian families with kids of all ages walking up to enjoy the view. Also lots of runners! It took us about an hour to walk up, rather less to make our way down again, and no queuing! We met one of the ships officers who had run up to the top and back.

How steep is the walk? I have a dodgy knee and although can walk without any problem on the flat and gentle inclines, steep slopes can cause me a problem - but I would love to walk it if I can!

thanks

How steep is the walk? I have a dodgy knee and although can walk without any problem on the flat and gentle inclines, steep slopes can cause me a problem - but I would love to walk it if I can!

thanks

It is quite a long walk and zig-zags but I think perhaps the gradient may cause you a problem from what you say. (I find going down more demanding on the kness than going up tbh.) Might I suggest that you take the funicular up and down but do your walking on the relatively flat, wooded parkland on the top of Mt Floyen? There is a good map of the trails available from the Tourist Office last time we were there but for some reason you had to ask for it as it wasn't on display (although free). The trails are good - there's a small lake up there and some carved sculptures and is very popular with locals. Might be as rewarding without risking causing yourself a problem - especially if this isn't your last port of call - it would be a pity to restrict your ability to get around for the rest of the holiday.