Recent change with Air Dept.

Just learned yesterday that if you book through a TA you can no longer talk directly with the Air Dept. I find this disappointing and a bit of a nuisance. I was just trying to organize our seats and I was told I could no longer do that. I had always found it to be an added plus that I could directly handle the air arrangements. The TA was helpful and patient but in my mind it was not as direct and efficient. I am a hands on (need to be in control?) kind of person.

Is this Regent trying to discourage using a TA. Okay, I am suspicious as well.

We always change our seats directly with the airline. The Booking Number is shown on the sheet with your flights. We also go in periodically to make sure the seats have not been changed since airlines occasionally move passengers around and that the flight times have not changed. Neither Regent or our TA has ever assisted us with flights after they are booked. We have also called the airline directly - gave them our Booking Number and discussed seats with them (and I trust what the airlines tell me more that when a Regent representative tells me since they do not work for the airlines).

Are you saying that you can no longer book air with Regent directly or that you cannot call them to discuss seats, etc.? If this is a new policy, it seems that this would encourage you to use your TA to assist you when booking flights rather than trying to do away with TA's. Perhaps I am not understanding this change in policy:confused:

Tc: I understand what Eager is saying. I've never been comfortable having a TA do the "leg work" for our cruises. I've always handled everything myself and then simply turned the booking over to the TA when I had everything in order. The TA has had to give the OK to Regent for me to do these things directly (air mainly), but it's never been a problem. I would be sorry to learn that I'm unable any longer to make my own air inquiries and arrangements.

You understand Poss and sound like a kindred soul.

TC, I am unable to work directly with the airline because Regent has us on a code share. The ticketing shows Japan Airline but the flight is flown by AA. Seats have to be arranged through AA but they are unwilling as ticketing shows JAL. Would have preferred JAL as they have much better seating, cabin amenities and service. Both flights leave at the same time but one is flown by AA and that is the one they gave us. Probably cheaper for Regent. They wanted an up charge for all other airlines.

TA was most patient in trying to get us the best air possible at the least cost working with Regent Air.

Edited by Eager2Travel

You understand Poss and sound like a kindred soul.

TC, I am unable to work directly with the airline because Regent has us on a code share. The ticketing shows Japan Airline but the flight is flown by AA. Seats have to be arranged through AA but they are unwilling as ticketing shows JAL. Would have preferred JAL as they have much better seating, cabin amenities and service. Both flights leave at the same time but one is flown by AA and that is the one they gave us. Probably cheaper for Regent. They wanted an up charge for all other airlines.

TA was most patient in trying to get us the best air possible at the least cost working with Regent Air.

A suggestion based on what we have done in the past. Yes, Regent shows a JAL Flight number and confirmation number but since the flight is flown by AA metal, there is a different AA flight number which you will see on the AA website. Also, you will have a specific confirmation number with AA that neither Regent or JAL have or can provide. So, you simply phone AA and provide your AA Flight number and date and tell them you don't have your confirmation number. AA will easily find your confirmation number and provide it to you and then you can book your seats on AA with the AA confirmation number. At this point you can forget that Regent booked you thru JAL and use the AA information on the AA website and check status, seats, and everything as if the flight was booked with AA directly. All future communications, checkin, etc. will be with AA and you will be good to go.

Thank you Dave for that. That way I can give them my AA frequent flyer number as well. The AAFlight is second. The first f.ight is on JAL.

aha, since your first flight is on JAL Metal, you should be able to provide your AA frequent flyer number to JAL as well and get credit for your JAL flight on your AA account as well. You should be able to get your AA credit for both flights by giving your number to JAL but, to be sure call both of them since you will be calling AA anyway and be sure your get your full credit.

As posted above, I agree that the airlines will be able to provide you with the information (such booking code) that you need. This is true in code share situations. Our experience has been different that what rallydave posts as we do receive confirmation numbers (but not always dual booking codes) for all of our flights from Regent (through our TA).

My DH and I are very specific (anal retentive perhaps ;) ) about our flights. We give our flight choices to our TA who then gets them approved from Regent. Any further questions are asked directly from the airline. Unfortunately, this still does not answer the question as to whether or not passengers can still call Regent directly regarding approved flights or if they need to go through their TA.

P.S. rallydave - since we are on the subject of flights, I learned something interesting a couple of months ago about Boeing 747's. In April I was taken to task for saying that we flew a "new" 747. You indicated that they have not been built for some time so I assumed I was in a refurbished 747. In any case, Boeing announced recently that they will be building less 747's next year than in the past - they will build only 1 per month. So, we actually were on a new 747 which was a very nice experience.

Edited by Travelcat2

P.S. rallydave - since we are on the subject of flights, I learned something interesting a couple of months ago about Boeing 747's. In April I was taken to task for saying that we flew a "new" 747. You indicated that they have not been built for some time so I assumed I was in a refurbished 747. In any case, Boeing announced recently that they will be building less 747's next year than in the past - they will build only 1 per month. So, we actually were on a new 747 which was a very nice experience.

Travelcat2, I am an airplane officiant and ex Boeing employee and you could not have flown a new passenger 747 as rallydave is correct that the last passenger version was built in the neighborhood of 10 years ago and since then only freighters have been built. The announcement of the 1 per month was a drop from 1.5 per month that Boeing had been building freighters so the 747 you flew was at least 10 or more years old. Check the article and you will see that they are talking 747-8 which is only built as a freighter

Well if Regent will only discuss flights with TA's then I may be in trouble - sent an email to my TA last Wednesday & have not heard back. I know - my problem since I picked him as my TA but he was fine for our last cruise on Princess. ( Yes TC2 - I know you need to find a TA schooled in Regent ). :eek:

Travelcat2, I am an airplane officiant and ex Boeing employee and you could not have flown a new passenger 747 as rallydave is correct that the last passenger version was built in the neighborhood of 10 years ago and since then only freighters have been built. The announcement of the 1 per month was a drop from 1.5 per month that Boeing had been building freighters so the 747 you flew was at least 10 or more years old. Check the article and you will see that they are talking 747-8 which is only built as a freighter

Thanks for your input. We have flown the same route (Heathrow to Vancouver) multiple times in the past few years. In April, our flight was delayed for 2-3 hours while they changed equipment. The 747-400 we flew (upstairs) appeared to be "new". Even the compartments next to the window seats that I love were not the same size as planes that we have flown previously. Carpets were barely used and the same could be said for seats, etc. Note: This was on British Airways. So, are you saying that these are refurbished planes?

We will be flying the same route at the end of next month and will pay particular attention to the plane.

Luv2 cOOk, if your TA is female you could try an impersonation routine with the air dept. I would be slightly crazed in your situation. Hopefully your cruise is a long way off. Why don't your try researching what flights might be possibilities that you would like? You could then send these to your TA if your impersonation routine doesn't work. Some areas of the world hold more Regent flight choices than others. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for your input. We have flown the same route (Heathrow to Vancouver) multiple times in the past few years. In April, our flight was delayed for 2-3 hours while they changed equipment. The 747-400 we flew (upstairs) appeared to be "new". Even the compartments next to the window seats that I love were not the same size as planes that we have flown previously. Carpets were barely used and the same could be said for seats, etc. Note: This was on British Airways. So, are you saying that these are refurbished planes?

We will be flying the same route at the end of next month and will pay particular attention to the plane.

First of all following is a link to where you can find a chart about 3/4 down the pagee showing how many and what year each type of 747-400 was delivered. Tried to paste it in but, lost all the formatting. Only the first line, the 747-400 is applicable. The other lines are some variants built before the last of the -400's and beyond that are all freighters. You can see the last two -400's were delivered 10 years ago in 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-400 Also did a bit more looking and the last 747-400 was delivered to BA in 1999 so your plane is at least 16 years old if not older. And, BA is expecting to keep flying the 747 about 10 more years so they have been refurbishing them to last until 2025. You can't tell the difference by looking at an interior to see if the plane is new or just the interior replaced. Just because a new bin doesn't mean the whole plane is new. Only the interior is refurbished. The air frame and exterior are maintained but, not refurbished. If you really want to find out about a specific plane, there is a paper in a frame next to the main entrance of the lower deck of the plane with the certificate approving the airplane and the date will be on the paper. You might have to ask a flight attendant where the paper is as the plane is so big. Believe it is called the air worthiness certificate and has to be displayed on every commercial aircraft. BA has the largest fleet of 747's and almost all airlines are getting rid of their 747's and replacing them with twin engine planes for the fuel savings. BA will probably be the last stand of the 747 for another 10 years or so and then you will only see them as freighters. No passengers on freighters.

Luv2 cOOk, if your TA is female you could try an impersonation routine with the air dept. I would be slightly crazed in your situation. Hopefully your cruise is a long way off. Why don't your try researching what flights might be possibilities that you would like? You could then send these to your TA if your impersonation routine doesn't work. Some areas of the world hold more Regent flight choices than others. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Okay Ann, you win the award (from me) as the weirdest suggestion that I have read on Cruise Critic in almost 10 years;)

tommiroke, really appreciate your detailed input. My issue was simply wondering why I was blasted for suggesting that the plane that we were flying was new. After all, cruise lines consider their refurbished ships as "new". IMO, this is such a small issue that I was surprised to be taken to task over it. As long as a plane has been maintained and is considered safe, that is all we care about. And, the upper level of the 747-400's that BA flies is truly a great experience (quiet, small cabin, etc.)

Just an FYI, my husband and I visited the Boeing Factory in Everett last month and saw the 747-800 assembly line - super cool! Boeing is indeed building a passenger version of the 747-800 ... Luftansa received one in 2012 and Air China took a delivery of one last year. The primary focus of the 747-800 is cargo, but orders are not limited to such.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747/#/feature-stories

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747/#/videos/air-china-747-8-intercontinental-put-together-quickly-video

I know we saw the passenger version being built because I remember the tour guide saying "so who knows how the tell the difference between a cargo plane and a passenger plane?" Of course, everyone in our group answered "windows!" Watching the aircraft being assembled was incredible - definitely worth a visit if in the Seattle area.

"If it's not a Boeing, I'm not going" ;) Safe travels to all!

DogLover - thank you for the information. I knew that they were still building them - just was not certain of the type.

Eager2Travel: So sorry that a comment I made sent this thread into a different direction. I would still like to know if there has been a change in policy in terms of booking flights through Regent.